Vortex

VortexPKIFreak

You guys are going to enjoy this. Yesterday I was up on Eiffel and talked to a ride op for awhile. First I was talking about Slingshot being the fastest ride in the park at close to 100 MPH. She looked at me like I was stupid and said that's probably 55 MPH, I just smiled. Then she was talking about new coasters and said they would remove Vortex because it's sinking. Well with that comment I just started laughing. I asked her if she really believed that rumor. She said, "Well, I should know, I work here." After she said that I began to think, hmm, I'm 275 ft in the air and this is who I'm stuck with if something were to go wrong. Oh dear God.

Wow I don't know where to start with this one. Sounds like you came across one of those employees that like to sound like they know everything. Chances are this emplyee heard this rumor at lunch that day and wanted to tell someone to sound important.

I think The Vortex sinking rumor is one of the longest running rumors I have ever heard. There are so many people that believe this rumor. Good thing you didn't get stuck on the tower that day. Although if you would have you could have asked how long until the tower sank to ground level so that you could get off.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vortex IS THE FIRST COASTER TO GO UPSIDEDOWN 6 TIMES AND WAS SOLD FOR 4 MILLION DOLLARS! IT ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE! DROP THE DISSCUSIOUNS ABOUT The Vortex!

a. Typing in all caps is rude and considered yelling. Please don't.

b. Shockwave at Six Flags Great America was similar and is gone (and it had seven inversions). Things happen.

c. You don't get to decide what discussions are to be dropped. Sigh.

Uh...that post was intended, I am quite sure, as irony.

I think you bit! :)

And no, Magnum is not sinking, either. . .

The Magnum was built in 1988, Vortex in '87. The Magnum sinking started rumors about The Vortex because they were built 1 year apart by the same company in the same state. I bet neither of them are sinking, and both will last for years.

The rumors are mostly false. If it is removed it will be because there is a different ride they want to stick in that spot, or because maintaining the steel on the ride is becoming too difficult. It would have nothing to do with sinking. I expect and hope that Vortex will remain where it is for a long time. Then again the same thing was said about the Flying Eagles just weeks before the announcement was made regarding their removal.

So basically those who know don't talk and those who talk don't know. So disregard any rumors regarding its removal until you hear it from the source. Enjoy it while its here.

Not only is Vortex the most fun-to-ride ride in the park, its also the best looking.

normal_towervortex.jpg

^good call. I love the appearance of Vortex. It highlights the back of the park IMO, and it is a really neat looking design. As for it sinking.... I'm pretty sure it's still the same height now as it was when it was installed. Not goin anywhere any time soon.

AT CP when your in line for Mean Streak you can see random numbers and letters. It says stuff like... H78, and there are some pieces' of wood that say dates on them.

=]

H78 would signify what part of the ride that is (row/ column).

Dates on pieces of wood would signify as to when that particular piece of wood was replaced.

But what exactly is grout? Paul Drabek and another prominent ACEr (can't remember his name - has a huge beard) said something about it having to do with the pouring of a concrete "boot" around the bottom few feet of the support, effectively encasing the base of the support and the bolts that secure it to the footer.

Not that I know if it is sinking actually. But lets take a trip down memory lane. The Beast use to have a lake that sat around the form of the track. Kings Island at the time did there best to fill in the lake and drain most of the water because it was hard for the ride mechanics to get to certain area's for repair. (Makes sense so far right) The Vortex built so many odd years later and actually does sit a little lower than The Beast platform. Dont ask how I know because I do not want to be so obvious but most of that old lake has leaked under parts of The Vortex. The word sink (To descend to the bottom; submerge.) may not be the right word. Lets just say this, water forms in areas that will support it and holds up in areas that will not drain. Under The Vortex is one of those areas, and it may not sink but the structure will get REAL weak at some point and will cause abnormal things to occur on this ride over time. I'd give it........................ 8 years

The land under Vortex is quite a bit lower than the land under Beast's station. I have been down there numerous times. It is possible to get from Vortex to Beast by walking up the *HILL* under The Vortex lift. It is a fairly large hill. Also when I would have to look for a missing article that was lost on the first drop of Vortex, I would go to Beast then walk toward the lift, and see if I could see the article laying on the hill. However usually the item could not be retrieved as there is basically a small cliff directly under the low point of The Vortex's first valley.

So yeah Vortex is lower than beast. :lol:

Between the top of the poured concrete footing and the bottom of the bearing plate for steel coasters is a gap. This gap is filled in with expansive grout once the entire ride is assembled. This grout allows for the bearing plate to then be in direct contact, and thus in direct bearing with the footing. Hence, not all the forces that are in the support column have to go through the bolts to the footing, but can go through the expansive grout.

The fact that one column was listed as "grout" might mean that the grout needed to be replaced/patched on that particular column.

Grout is used to fill a void, it could be between tile, or between a footing and a base plate. It also could be between two steal beams. It is maid of different material, silicone, sand, paper, solder, weld, you name it, if it fills a void it is grout.

Not that I know if it is sinking actually. But lets take a trip down memory lane. The Beast use to have a lake that sat around the form of the track. Kings Island at the time did there best to fill in the lake and drain most of the water because it was hard for the ride mechanics to get to certain area's for repair. (Makes sense so far right) The Vortex built so many odd years later and actually does sit a little lower than The Beast platform. Dont ask how I know because I do not want to be so obvious but most of that old lake has leaked under parts of The Vortex. The word sink (To descend to the bottom; submerge.) may not be the right word. Lets just say this, water forms in areas that will support it and holds up in areas that will not drain. Under The Vortex is one of those areas, and it may not sink but the structure will get REAL weak at some point and will cause abnormal things to occur on this ride over time. I'd give it........................ 8 years

See your theory is wrong. There is no standing water located below Vortex left over from the lake that used to reside under The Beast. Additionally, foundations for rides are designed to go down to good bearing soil and/or bedrock, and would thus not be affected by water.

Furthermore, I believe that the removal of the lake around The Beast was more a result of trying to keep it clean, then maintenance accessing the ride. Since the line for the ride used to be over the lake, I`d imagine that quite a few articles of trash a day would find their way onto the lake surface. Not to mention that the lake would have required circulation pumps to keep it from being a breeding ground for mosquitos and other insects.

The land under Vortex is quite a bit lower than the land under Beast's station.

While it may appear that the land is lower, it is not.

After being on many behind the scenes tours of both rides, it is clear the total land that Vortex is on is higher than Beast station.

Perhaps part of the land (lift hill) would be below Beast station, but for this particular discussion of Vortex sinking (which is rather foolish) a majority of the land is well above the station.