Viscious Rumor

WeloveKI1234

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`m in the minority, but I did not enjoy my two rides on Maverick last week. The layout was alright, and fun. But some of the transitions seemed very rough, especially with the restraint that is found on those trains. My neck was constantly slamming into the restraint making for a painful ride. I would much rather see KI get a B&M for their next coaster as opposed to an Intamin, but that is just my two cents.

I`m in the minority, but I did not enjoy my two rides on Maverick last week. The layout was alright, and fun. But some of the transitions seemed very rough, especially with the restraint that is found on those trains. My neck was constantly slamming into the restraint making for a painful ride. I would much rather see KI get a B&M for their next coaster as opposed to an Intamin, but that is just my two cents.

I bet money you didn't ride the front seat, with your neck stuck out just a wee bit like a puppy dog enjoying a car ride...

My middle seat ride on Maverick was perhaps the most unsatisfying coaster ride I have ever had (and I have recently ridden the Arkansas Twister at Magic Springs, so that is saying something...). But holy cow, in the front....well, let's just say I have a new favorite rolley coaster, and by far....

I figured. I have NEVER seen a ride with such variability between seats. I have no intention of EVER riding it again in any seat but the front. In fact, my first ride was in row 4, and it was most definitely in my bottom 10 coasters, period, if not the bottom. I'd rather ride Son of Beast all day (or Mean Streak or perhaps even Ninja at Six Flags Over Georgia once) than to ride Maverick in row 4 ever again.

Again, the front seat is sheer bliss.

Go figure.

My one and only ride so far on Maverick was nothing short of awesome. It was fast, intense, smooth, and an altogether great ride. The themeing in the tunnel was simple, but very effective. In my opinion, it is certainly not the family coaster that some people thought it would be. I believe I was in row two of car two, and experienced no more head-banging than that on Raptor, and it was just as impressive. While I can see where some would have experienced head-banging (I was blown away by the quickness of the two Stengel Dives) I don't think it detracts from the ride by any appreciable amount.

I've found that sticking my head out, rather than keeping it against the headrest as directed, increases the amount of head-banging I experience. Perhaps this is a situation where height is a factor (i.e. Vortex). I'm about 5'11'', how tall is everyone else?

A few people said SLC, and I counter that we already have 3 Vekoma stock models (Face//off, Reptar, Firehawk). As far as KI's coaster history goes, its mostly been Vekoma, Arrow, and Premier. Arrow has basically gone under, so we wont be gettng that unless its a 4-D, which is highly doubtable. Vekoma we already have alot of, and there isnt really much more we can get from them except a SLC, which would give us 5 suspended coasters. Not going to happen IMO. Premeir is a possibity, but the only thing that comes to mind is a water coaster, and there's currently only one of those in the world, so thats also doubtful.

Moving on to new possiblilities, a woody would be doubtful since we already have Beast, Racer, and the fiasco with SoB. Anything Suspended in any form is also doubtful as I previously guessed with my Vekoma comment. Stand up and hyper are out of the question too. No one's buying stand ups anymore, and unless CF reinstalls Cobra (which they definately should), I dont see them buying one from BM. Also keep in mind that there is a stand up B&M within a few hours in either direction (CP with Mantis and SFKK with Chang)

Hyper COULD be a possilbilty, but with SoB I strongly doubt it. Then again this IS Cedar Fair we're talking about. That takes our possibilities down to Accellorator, Dive Machine, Floorless, Wild Mouse, and various small coasters. A wild mouse would fit nicely anywhere, but I can't quite see where one would fit. Gerstunder (still cant spell) would generally cover any sort of compact, but they havent had TOO BIG a history with CF. Dive machine is probable, but with Busch's non-compete contract we wont get anything cool. A small StormRunner-ish Accellorator is my personal bet since I started that rumor, but the fact still remains that KI already has a few launched rides, and CF's history with Intamin.

That brings us down to Floorless. A bit big to build, though KI does have plenty of space to build. My one draw against it would be that we already have the "floorless" experience on our 2 inverted rides.

My top picks for our next coaster: Wild mouse/compact coaster, Floorless, small Accellorator.

And Wicked Twister, and Xcelerator as well. (As if the list weren't long enough already)

Despite the numerous issues (some unacceptable) that have plagued the Intamin rides, I understand why Cedar Point continues to go to them for coasters. Simply put, Intamin delivers rides that other manufacturers can't. It may take them a few years and some [major] modifications, but a floorless from B&M can't provide the flare Cedar Point is know for. An Intamin can.

I wouldn`t say that a steel hyper coaster is out of the question. While Son of Beast is a hyper coaster, it lacks some of the things that define hyper coasters. Primarily large hills that swoop down to the ground and are filled with pops of airtime. I would not mind it if we got a ride similar to Millenium Force from Intamin. MF is a ride packed full of pure fun. However, it wouldn`t surprise me if Cedar Fair opted to go for B&M at KI either, as Cedar Fair has continued to use B&M at their parks throughout the years, even if they haven`t installed any of their products at America`s roller coaste.

I should have been more specific. Perhaps a better choice of words would have been 'marketable gimmick' rather than 'flare' (even though I don't consider the majority of coaster concepts at the Point to be gimmicks). Can other manufacturers provide a quality ride that the general public will enjoy? Yes, most definitely, and perhaps even more so, considering the reliability of B&M coasters is so high. But from a "Wow! I've never seen that before," standpoint, I think Intamin is the most likely candidate.

I agree that a hyper IS viable. I'm just uncertain that they'll bother with it with SoB there. While its true that hometown big coaster is lacking in hills, I just cant see something of the same general height being built, especially since that is the sort of coaster that takes up alot of space and money to build. Unless they tear down Sonny, I just dont sea this as a practical solution...

Just a question. Has anyone here visited Busch Garedens: Europe lately. I firmly believe that B&M's two best coasters are sitting in that park with Alpengeist, which is an absolutely fantastic inverted coaster, and Apollo's Chariot, a stunning hypercoaster.

While there are some styles that are more likely to be chosen at a park like KI now that it's with CF, B&M has a repertoire of doing some amazing things. If it can be put on paper, B&M can put it in your park, but for a very high price. But with it, you get an amazingly innovative ride plus B&M stands behind their products very well.

Apollo's Chariot, for example, utilizes the clam shell restraint system. It gives so much freedom, and I can't imagine a body type that it wouldn't accept. Not to mention the fact that it gives such a good ride in terms of airtime. In my opinion it is one of the best coasters in terms of ride experience with the smoothness that B&M is world-renowned for in conjunction with the clam-shell restraint system.

I think if we get a B&M at KI (and I believe it will only be a matter time) it should be designed with one of these two coasters as an inspiration.

Just my two cents. Does anybody else agree?

Possible on the Hyper. I'm not dissing Alpy, but as I've stated, WE HAVE ENOUGH INVERTED COASTERS! Although BG is known mainly for its glorious theming and authenticity, KI is more of a family park. Yes we do have the land and quite possibly the money, but I dont think we'd get a huge coaster AND theme it the same year. I could be wrong, so dont quote me on this unless I'm right.

Vortex>all in KI

tippmannevo87, there are many people who cannot ride coasters with those clamshell restraints you speak of. At one time, I barely fit, and I was big but hardly huge. B and M is QUITE capable of building boring coasters, as almost everyone who has ridden Batman Dark Knight at Six Flags New England would agree. I feel about the same about Hydra at Dorney Park.

I am glad you love Apollo's Chariot. Coaster tastes vary, and a lot. I know people who adore that ride, while others (including me) see its ride experience as being not a whole lot different than a big motion simulator with fans. Of the B and M hypers, I'd put it above Raging Bull, and below Goliath at SFOG and Nitro at SFGAd.

But I do agree, a B and M hyper at Kings Island would be a very good thing. I just don't see Cedar Fair going that direction, but it's Cedar Fair. It is very difficult to predict what that company is ever going to do. Especially now.

Man what KI has always lacked is a good inverted coaster. When I saw they built face off, I was excited and thought "finally" so you can imagine my dissapointment when I came to the park and saw that little tiny thing. I immediatly thought "thats it?". I love inverted coasters nearly as much as the classic steel loopers and B&M seems to be the best, so I can only hope we finally get our own version of "Batman the Ride"!

BTW has anyone seen the verison of Top gun they have at Carowinds? Made me mad. Why does their Top Gun rock and ours is so lame?

^ I agree with your opinion of B&M inverts. In fact, two of my top five favorite rides (Dueling Dragons and Montu) are B&M inverts...

I've always imagined that if KECO would not have been so far into the planning for "Thunder Run", our Top Gun would have probably been a clone of PGA's B&M Top Gun. However, KI was committed to the suspended with Arrow by the time Paramount came into the picture, so they simply re-branded the ride and went forward with the original plan. (Of course, in that alternative timeline it's also possible that we wouldn't have gotten the B&M then either, and would have just received our "Days of Thunder" simulator a year earlier...)

In my opinion, compared to other suspended coasters (non-inverting), Top Gun is one of the best. Try Iron Dragon at CP if you think TG at KI is lame. You'll see a huge difference. Not to mention you are comparing non-inverting suspended coasters to B&M inverts.