Viscious Rumor

WeloveKI1234

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the situation with SOB right now, I don't think a new woodie is on the drawing boards.

Actually, it is possible that he opposite is true. Just because it's on the drawing boards doesn't mean that it's KI's star attraction in 2010, 2011, or 2012.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first time reading this topic and it's funny what everyone has to say on the beginning pages!

"A B&M would be nice at KI"

"Is this possible?"

"Awesome!"

Hmmm....maybe KI could use a B&M named Diamondback, I don't know.....just a thought.

I think B&M's are great (I love the Batman rides the most), but they should be more innovative at Kings Island (they usually are). I mean, they built many firsts and one-of-a-kinds in the past, so why should they stop. I think a floorless, vertical, or stand-up would be a nice fit for the park, but it would cost a lot of money (especially if its interacting with the natural landscape of Kings Island). I think that if Kings Island is going to get another B&M it should be a Stand-Up that would act as the sequel to the now defunct King Cobra. I could see that making a lot of people that loved the original happy.

innovative at Kings Island used to happen. Cedar Point is the "franchise player" now. Don't get me wrong, KI will get good coasters, but the ultra-innovative, record breakers will debut about 4 hours north from now on.

While I agree that KI won't be getting the record breakers (CF will want to keep Cedar Point as the flagship and major park in Ohio) - I think the rumored Giga at Kings Dominion points to the fact that if another CF park is going to get record breakers, it is likely to be KD as this park has competitive pressure from Six Flags and Busch relatively close.

innovative at Kings Island used to happen. Cedar Point is the "franchise player" now. Don't get me wrong, KI will get good coasters, but the ultra-innovative, record breakers will debut about 4 hours north from now on.

While I agree that KI won't be getting the record breakers (CF will want to keep Cedar Point as the flagship and major park in Ohio) - I think the rumored Giga at Kings Dominion points to the fact that if another CF park is going to get record breakers, it is likely to be KD as this park has competitive pressure from Six Flags and Busch relatively close.

CF is planning to put KD on top of the East Coast. Even if they do build a gigacoaster, I think it would have to be the best coaster I've ever ridden by far for me to want to go to KD more than Busch Gardens...plus CF already has 2 other parks relatively close to the East Coast, don't they?

I hope that KI still remains as a second franchise park with CF, but with KD clearly in the competition now, who knows what could happen? I mean people say that two thrill rides (one relocated, one new) in three years is a ton for KI, but KD has got a major relocated roller coaster, which in my opinion is better than FH, two relocated family flat rides, and possibly a new gigacoaster next year (which could very well be better than Diamondback, assuming it is executed well), it seems that KD could definitely turn into the secondary flagship park for Cedar Fair.

I think Kings Island faces competition, just not competition as good as BGE. Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom aren't THAT bad of a drive. And frankly, Kentucky Kingdom isn't much of competition to KI considering they haven't got a new (key word there) coaster that is still open (also key here) since Chang in 1997. From what I've heard, Holiday World is pretty awesome.

It doesn't really matter what you or I think is competition. What does matter is what competes for the park's target market's dollar. And Coney Island, Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom do not in any way compare to having Busch Gardens and Six Flags America in your relative back door, and even Colonial Williamsburg....

Yep. Those two other properties are very formidable competition for a target market whose discretionary income is already limited. While Kings Island does face competition from the parks mentioned above, it is not as difficult of a decision as it would be if you lived near KD.

Just imagine for a second, that Frontier Worlds had been built in Northern Kentucky (the park that really spurred the development of Kings Island to begin with) and that KI was what it is today. There would be two large amusement parks competing in essentially the same market. Which park would you go to? Which park would attract the largest piece of the target market`s discretionary income? Coney Island would be like Double A competition compared to the big leagues between those two major players.

Or that Kentucky Kingdom had relocated to where the speedway eventually ended up about a decade ago? I submit that in either scenario, Kings Island would be a drastically different place than it is now. Heck, Cedar Fair might not have even bought Paramount Parks...or, conversely, might have paid even more for them than they did....