Geauga Lake updates!

^^Actually what you are seeing is the spaces that X-Flight went around. You can see that where the coaster actually was is still dirt. It's a shock to see two coaster's go from a park in one season, even if it does bring one closer my way. Hopefully this will turn the park back towards it's glory days.

Yeah, I'm crushed that the monorail is gone. However I'm a bit surprised that they got the X-Flight site all cleared up and green, though IMO it should be re-allocated for parking.

Parking? Surely you jest. The park has more parking spaces than it can even come close to filling nowadays, and that's before you take into account the removal of two major attractions.

Not to mention that the local zoning authorities and even the EPA would have something to say about turning green space into parking.

I still think Geauga Lake is going to be a fun place. Yeah they removed two major coasters, but they still have: The Villain, Dominator, Thunderhawk, and The Raging Wolf Bobs. Plus a slammin water park. I for one look forward to visiting soon.

Honestly If Cedar Fair wants to turn Geauga Lake's slump around, one word "Nickalodeon". Turn the entire 50's area into a giant Nickalodeon area. Add a new spinning compact coaster similiar to the "Tony Hawk" coasters themed to all the Nick characters as the staple attraction, and new log flume/coaster style ride themed to Spongebob and the entire Bikini Bottom cast! I tell ya it would be pure genius. Maybe even market it as being the most Nickalodeon themed stuff in one amusement park to further promote it.

Just my 2 cents, im anxious to hear what ideas everyone else has.

Make The 2007 Season A Special One Guys! :D

a. to list the major coasters in that park and list Villan and Raging Wolf Bobs and NOT The Big Dipper is some kind of sacrilege. John Miller's Big Dipper puts those other two woodies to shame, and is historical to boot. In addition, you might want to say that Geauga Lake still has Dominator, Thunderhawk, Headspin, etc., for now. If things don't change, I bet the list gets smaller still over time.

b. Cedar Fair is trying to reduce expenses at Geauga Lake and minimize any competitive effect it may have on Cedar Point. I do not see it doing anything that would in any way detract from the Cleveland locals going to Cedar Point, where they might stay several days and spend money in the resorts and on more food and merchandise than they would at Geauga Lake. During recent interviews, Mr. Kinzel has made it abundantly clear that he would prefer that people think of Geauga Lake as a great water park and a day trip, while Cedar Point is the resort and thrill park.

Honestly If Cedar Fair wants to turn Geauga Lake's slump around, one word "Nickalodeon". Turn the entire 50's area into a giant Nickalodeon area.

So you are suggesting that CF has the same area at Geauga & KI?

If both parks had the same thing, families are going to choose to go to KI over GL.

Yeah, I'm crushed that the monorail is gone. However I'm a bit surprised that they got the X-Flight site all cleared up and green, though IMO it should be re-allocated for parking.

Parking? Surely you jest. The park has more parking spaces than it can even come close to filling nowadays, and that's before you take into account the removal of two major attractions.

The north parking lot gets a lot of acction, and is full on weekends. The southside(wwk) parking lot gets like 50-100 cars per weekend.

If both parks had the same thing, families are going to choose to go to KI over GL.

The parks are over 200 miles away. And our 'Kidworks' has seen better days.

Honestly If Cedar Fair wants to turn Geauga Lake's slump around, one word "Nickalodeon". Turn the entire 50's area into a giant Nickalodeon area.

So you are suggesting that CF has the same area at Geauga & KI?

Both parks have Waterparks but families don't choose KI over GL up here. KI isn't as known up here...only a handfull of people know about the park and the ones willing to spend the money to take the 4hour drive down there instead of driving 45mins are gonna be small. Turning the WHOLE 50's midway into a Nick zone would suck and would be a horrible move. Kidswork would be perfect to turn into a Nick Zone. Not everyone going to GL has kids...which is what Dick needs to realize.

Both parks have Waterparks but families don't choose KI over GL up here. KI isn't as known up here...only a handfull of people know about the park and the ones willing to spend the money to take the 4hour drive down there instead of driving 45mins are gonna be small.

Then where have the guests gone to?

If GL is having attendence issues, their guests (or former guests in this instance) have gone somewhere else.

And yes, I do choose KI over GL. And I live in Erie, PA. about 130 miles from GL, but 360 from KI.

As Mr. Kinzel likes to point out, major competition for amusement parks includes video games, dvds, theaters, plays, golf, etc.

If a local guest gets burned out or bummed with a local park, they usually do not seek out another park. Unless, of course, it's Disney they go to. A lot of people see parks in two categories: Disney....and everything else.

In the past, Mr. Kinzel would have liked to believe, and to an extent I think he still believes, that there is Cedar Point and everything else. He attributes falling or stable attendance figures at Cedar Point to a faltering midwest economy, especially in Detroit. I would point out, however, that local parks in the Detroit area have closed over the years, and Cedar Point has less PARK competition than ever before.

I, for one, see a severe risk in the high food prices Cedar Fair is commanding this year. Yeah, people will pay them....once. In the future, they may bring coolers, leave the park, or worst of all, decide to spend their leisure time somewhere else.

Both parks have Waterparks but families don't choose KI over GL up here. KI isn't as known up here...only a handfull of people know about the park and the ones willing to spend the money to take the 4hour drive down there instead of driving 45mins are gonna be small.

Then where have the guests gone to?

If GL is having attendence issues, their guests (or former guests in this instance) have gone somewhere else.

And yes, I do choose KI over GL. And I live in Erie, PA. about 130 miles from GL, but 360 from KI.

Kennywood or Cedar Point. If you'd of asked someone here a few years ago if they knew what Kennywood was, they wouldn't have any idea. Now, most people know about it due to their advertising up here. Dick for some reason never mentions that GL had an increase in attendence last season even though the season was shorter. If they Haunt was still an event, i'm sure he wouldn't be so dissapointed seeing as the Haunt was a HUGE crowd bringer.

• 2 weeks later...