Firehawk Has Final Touches and Testing

It looks like there is only gravel in areas where the ride is close to the ground (ie by the loop and base of the lift hill). The rest of the ride area, as of yesterday is still dirt. Either they will place gravel there, or end up planting grass.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of gravel in the ride area is used as maintenance roads for the trucks to get back and forth to the station easily. And, trust me, there's very little gravel in the ride area....compared to the insane amount found on IJ.

A few of us from P. Services had to help clean up around the ride area today, namely any large pieces of trash and excess pieces of metal off the ground. It was cool and scary being that close to the ride, as well as seeing how tall it is.

Oh, and on the that final flyover before the double twist, the track gets very eerily close to a set of trees on the other side of the area, and also gets pretty close to the ground on the helix. So that should put to shame any doubts of Firehawk having no scenery interaction.

PS: Hey Ryan, if another kid in a bright yellow shirt with glasses and black shoes walks up to you and passes idle chat and watches Firehawk testing alongside you, don't worry. That wasn't me. ;)

EDIT: Sweet. 500. :D

'K, I'm done.

PS: Hey Ryan, if another kid in a bright yellow shirt with glasses and black shoes walks up to you and passes idle chat and watches Firehawk testing alongside you, don't worry. That wasn't me. ;)

EDIT: Sweet. 500. :D

'K, I'm done.

Uhh... I don't really know how to respond to that. :rolleyes:

CoasterRZ, I realize there are maintenance buildings all around over there, but I do think they could work something out if they really wanted.. Go around them, or even move them back some... Idk. I never said it was likely, just a thought since someone brought it up..

Well, relocating maintenance buildings would be an expensive proposition, one I don`t see the park doing anytime soon. Why tear down a perfectly good building for future development, when they have lots of undeveloped land to build upon. Besides, we don`t want the park focusing all their attention on one area of the park. Look at what happened with Action Zone, with a similar condition of only one entrance and exit to that area of the park.

Look at what happened with Action Zone, with a similar condition of only one entrance and exit to that area of the park.

That's my biggest worry traffic is going to be horrible going into x-base, with only one way in and one way out. Traffic was already bad with just FOF back there, now with Firehawk this is going to be one bad situation.

^ Its not that bad with Flight of Fear back there at all. It only gets really bad around Fear Fest when you have Fear Fest lines clogging up the path. Really its not that big of a deal to make another path. Yea it might cost some money to cut threw The Racers again but it might be well worth it. As for that Action Zone with only one path you can't blame that on paramount because that pathway was all ready there before they started building.

Whoever the project manager was for the relocation of X-Flight/Firehawk from GL to KI deserves a huge pat on the back (and a nice bonus :D ). X-Flight was still sitting pretty much intact at GL as late as December, but will be up and running at KI less than six months later. When KI announced a targeted opening of Memorial Day weekend, I didn't think at the time there was anyway they would make that date...but, it certainly looks promising now!

It's really weird to think that Maverick construction was well under way when I was at CP last August, yet Firehawk will open first. Granted, building a brand new coaster is a lot different from relocating a proven exisiting one, but still--I think KI deserves a lot of credit for a very well managed project!

Actually I think buliding a new one is easier then reloacating one. You have to think they had to tear down X-Flight piece by piece first. You still have land clearing, footers to pour construction of the ride itself, and wiring. Then you have landscaping, testing, and lets not forget the fact that they painted Firehawk too. KI did a great job doing all of this is such a short amount of time.

Actually I think buliding a new one is easier then reloacating one. .

There are arguements for both sides, many which you mentioned.

But the one advantage of relocating vs. new is cost. KI spent about half of X-Flights' original cost ($15 million), and that was back in 2001. You can only speculate what a ride like that would cost in 2007. But one thing is certain, the price tag would not be less today.

So yes, while it may be easier to build brand new, the costs associated with buying brand new is worth the headaches of relocation.

Not to mention, since GL did not have the attendance to justify a ride like XF, it seems like a perfect fit as FH at KI.

It's really weird to think that Maverick construction was well under way when I was at CP last August, yet Firehawk will open first. Granted, building a brand new coaster is a lot different from relocating a proven exisiting one, but still--I think KI deserves a lot of credit for a very well managed project!

Maverick took so long to get ready because of all of the electrical work that had to be done. Steel erection was done in about October. The electric for the LSMs was quite a project. I am not disputing your comment that KI did well, because you are right, they did. I am just stating a fact...

I'm glad to see it's up and running, and amazed at what all has happend in such a short amount of time. I'm even more excited because my churches youth group will be heading up to KI this year, so I will definetly wait for FH.

I know its immpossible to tell, but does anyone have any guesses about the wait during the weekdays following Firehawk's opening. I'm thinking of coming down out of indy to try it out, I'd just like to know if anyone has any ideas considering the past waits for new rides. I've never riden a "new" ride the same year it opens, let alone the same week. Thanks