Carousel Band Organ Gone?

Young Gunz

There are people all over the world that work on those calliopies. Installing a cd player is just downright irresponsible.

Wait - maybe it went with the flyers, after all - both ARE vintage items.

Guest TombraiderTy

WHAT!?!?!\

A CD PLAYER!?! That band organ was from 1918 if I'm correct, and has always been with the ride. I used it to count the number of rotations (even though I knew it was nine each time), and that enhanced the experience. I hope they restore it and bring it back, cause a CD player is CRAPPY!

• Like 1

WHAT!?!?!\

A CD PLAYER!?! That band organ was from 1918 if I'm correct, and has always been with the ride. I used it to count the number of rotations (even though I knew it was nine each time), and that enhanced the experience. I hope they restore it and bring it back, cause a CD player is CRAPPY!

We were buy the carousel saturday and heard the opp say it was from 1926. I also think a CD player is wrong bring back the organ.

WHAT!?!?!\

We were buy the carousel saturday and heard the opp say it was from 1926. I also think a CD player is wrong bring back the organ.

The carousel is from 1926 (PTC #79) but the band organ predated it.

• Like 1

Alright. KICentral historian here to shed some light on the Kings Island Carousel and a little bit about its history.

As Ryan said, the Carousel was built by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company in 1926 and is #79. The ride is 80 feet in diameter, and features 48 hand carved horses, 28 of which go up and down. In the flood of 1937, some of the Carousel horses floated down the Ohio River. Remarkably, all were recovered, some as far away as Paducah, KY.

Kings Island has a guy on staff who refurbishes the Carousel horses (the park owns several extra horses). Here is a picture of two of the horses being restored from the behind the scenes tour last October during Beast Bash.

The band organ (that at least used to) reside on the ride is a Wurlitzer Duplex Military Band Organ Style #157 that was built in 1918. Only twenty of this type of band organ were built. and only a handful (two or three) remained on Carousels, prior to the disappearance of KI`s.

The band organ originally operated on a carousel at Ocean Grove, New Jersey. It was purchased in 1964 by Paul Eakins and completely restored. It joined PTC #79 when the ride was moved from Coney Island to Kings Island. The organ stands almost eight and a half feet tall, over twelve feet wide and nearly four feet deep.

Instruments on the band organ included: Bass - 6 wood trombones; 6 stopped diapason pipes; 6 stopped octave diapason pipes. Accompaniments - 10 stopped flute pipes; 10 open flute pipes; 10 open piccolo pipes; 10 open piccolo pipes. Melody - 44 violin pipes; 22 octave pipes; 22 piccolo pipes; 22 open flute pipes; 22 stopped flute pipes; 16 bar bells. Trumpets - 14 wood trumpets; 14 wood clarinets. Traps - bass drum; snare drum; cymbal; triangle; double castanets; tympani. Automatic stops - 1 for bells; 1 for swell and wood trombones. Draw stops - 1 for wood trombones; 1 for wood trumpets; 1 for violins; 1 for flutes; 1 for piccolos.

If the band organ has ceased to operate on the Carousel, it truly is a sad thing, as the CD recording that they have playing is no where near as rich of a sound (or as classic) as the sound that used to be produced by the band organ.

• Like 1

Alright. KICentral historian here to shed some light on the Kings Island Carousel and a little bit about its history.

As Ryan said, the Carousel was built by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company in 1926 and is #79. The ride is 80 feet in diameter, and features 48 hand carved horses, 28 of which go up and down. In the flood of 1937, some of the Carousel horses floated down the Ohio River. Remarkably, all were recovered, some as far away as Paducah, KY.

Kings Island has a guy on staff who refurbishes the Carousel horses (the park owns several extra horses). Here is a picture of two of the horses being restored from the behind the scenes tour last October during Beast Bash.

The band organ (that at least used to) reside on the ride is a Wurlitzer Duplex Military Band Organ Style #157 that was built in 1918. Only twenty of this type of band organ were built. and only a handful (two or three) remained on Carousels, prior to the disappearance of KI`s.

The band organ originally operated on a carousel at Ocean Grove, New Jersey. It was purchased in 1964 by Paul Eakins and completely restored. It joined PTC #79 when the ride was moved from Coney Island to Kings Island. The organ stands almost eight and a half feet tall, over twelve feet wide and nearly four feet deep.

Instruments on the band organ included: Bass - 6 wood trombones; 6 stopped diapason pipes; 6 stopped octave diapason pipes. Accompaniments - 10 stopped flute pipes; 10 open flute pipes; 10 open piccolo pipes; 10 open piccolo pipes. Melody - 44 violin pipes; 22 octave pipes; 22 piccolo pipes; 22 open flute pipes; 22 stopped flute pipes; 16 bar bells. Trumpets - 14 wood trumpets; 14 wood clarinets. Traps - bass drum; snare drum; cymbal; triangle; double castanets; tympani. Automatic stops - 1 for bells; 1 for swell and wood trombones. Draw stops - 1 for wood trombones; 1 for wood trumpets; 1 for violins; 1 for flutes; 1 for piccolos.

If the band organ has ceased to operate on the Carousel, it truly is a sad thing, as the CD recording that they have playing is no where near as rich of a sound (or as classic) as the sound that used to be produced by the band organ.

where on earth does one get all this info...so i google searched the style number and well it returned me to a site where i could buy the cd for $7.77...seems like it would be quite the investment for KI to disbandon the organ and upkeep costs for only $7.77 and then sell the songs...wow what a rip off i wish they kept the organ...oh well

• Like 1

We assume the worst of CBS, because they have shown plenty of example's of doing the minimum as far as upkeep. (TR:TR, IT:ST, live shows) IF it is in the process of being repaired, that is great, go Cedar Fair for allowing KI to do it. But why did it fall into such a state in the first place under previous ownership? I think that is the question. The feeling is the previous owners of KI only spent money where they could see a direct return on investment, and let the little things and non critical maintenance go. Much like the Pressler years at Disneyland. (5 years later and the park is still paying the price today for maintenance neglect, Mark Twain's lengthy unscheduled rehape)

Well, look at how old the band organ is. Even if they provided routine daily maintenance for it, it would eventually need to receive an overhaul. After all, it was built ninety years ago.

And I wouldn`t say that CBS/Paramount only spent money where it could see a ROI. After all, they have had the guy that repairs and renovates the carousel horses on staff. They also renovated the Royal fountains several years ago. So I`d hardly say that they didn`t invest in upkeep of the rides.

I actually asked about the band organ when we were at the park on Wednesday. Granted, I asked one of the carousel operators, who may not be entirely in the know, but she told me that they took it out two summers ago and she has not heard a thing about whether or not it will be coming back.

I am a bit of a carousel enthusiast, and as to CBS having someone on staff who maintains the horses....the horses are in HORRIBLE condition. Paint peeling and cracking at the seams on almost all of them, marks and nicks on many, broken jewels. You could also see the old paint underneath the places where the newer paint had peeled....you are never supposed to just paint over a carousel horse. The lead horse, the one on the outside row that wears the armor and has the tucked head...I'm sure the paint on the armor was not the original gold paint, and it was peeled and chipped so badly. I am also sure I saw nails in some, which is considered a no-no in carousel restoration (you are supposed to use wooden pegs). I was extremely disappointed in seeing this. When Lindner owned the park, the horses were always in great condition.

I just hope CBS did not sell the band organ. If it is still on site I am certain that Cedar Fair will repair it and put it back in. I didn't realize how neat that band organ was until I took a ride without hearing it (it's been a few years since we've been to the park).

As for CBS looking to just turn a profit....I hated that the Italian Job was put in where the antique cars used to be. What an eyesore right in the middle of what used to be one of the prettiest sections of the park. Countless trees ripped out to put in that ride. The park owns so much of the surrounding land (at least from what I understand) I don't know why they could not have put it somewhere on the outskirts of the park, similar to what is being done with Firehawk. They took out a family-oriented ride in a beautiful section of the park to put in a coaster and turn a profit.

Tina

Avatar, the front "face" of the band organ is still there. But if you look from the sides, you can clearly see that the inner workings of the band organ are no longer present (or at least not in playing position). Also, on my ride aboard the carousel last week, they did not have the lights on on the band organ facade.

• Like 1

If it's gone, that's too bad. The carousel truly was a piece of history. I didn't think that CBS/Viacom was that bad in terms of KI, but the more I read....

I think that we're gonna find out more and more of how Paramount/CBS/Viacom did the park wrong.

It's funny that you say that. For a few years, I actually staged my own, personal "boycott" of KI. This is directly after FOF got new restraints. I did go back in July of last year, and I really had a great time. I just didn't care for how the park was being run, and the attitudes of people involved, etc... I was absolutely ecstatic to hear that CF bought the park. I now have so much hope and enthusiasm. I stopped buying season passes, but now, I'm really excited to get one, maybe not this year, but I can't wait. It seems from what I'm reading on here, that CF is really trying to turn the park around, which they should, in my opinion. It would only benefit CF to have a strong park in KI.