Restraints on Flight Of Fear

Kawana

Hi all. I'm new here. I was just wondering, would CF/KI ever consider going back to the over the shoulder restraints for FOF? I used to love that ride, but now I can't fit in there. I'm 6'5", and I'm unable to get my knees to go under the lap bar. I know the shoulder restraints caused a bit of "headbang", but as it is now, I can't ride it. I also have the same problem for SOB. I know it's not likely, but it would be appreciated by the tall folks out there. Is that something that could happen, or not? Thanks for your time.

I am pretty sure both KI and KD will not go back to the OTSR's for FOF. I understand your frustrations as I am 6'3" and my knees take a beating trying to latch down the lap bar. The problem is that Paramount retro-fitted the trains, that were designed to have OTSR's, with lap bars. The floor space in those original trains were not meant to handle a lap restraint mechanism of this type. They did the best they could with what they had at the time. Maybe, in the furture, Cedar Fair will fund the money to buy new trains that were designed for lap restaints from the start.

I don't have any problem with the lap bars in the IJST coaster and those lap restraints are exactly the same as used on the FOF. I think there is more spacing between the seat and the base of the lap bars as well as the bucket seats being deeper on the IJST trains than those on the FOF. This combination allows me to stretch my legs out further and allowing me to drop my knees down. :unsure:

If FoF ever goes back to OTSR's I will not ride it again. The head banging was terrible and for me it turned into almost a totally different ride when they switched the restraints.

Trains cost around a million dollars each and I doubt Cedar Fair is willing to spend that much money to give people more leg room so a larger percentage of the population can fit.

SOB is getting new trains (well retrofitting old trains from another park) so I believe you might not have any problems on that when it reopens later this year.

It won't happen, sorry. The changed to lap bars for a reason. Now do you have a problem with fitting at all or getting the belt to buckle?

I can't get my knees under the bar no matter what I try. It sucks. I really loved that ride. I can however, ride the Italian Job with no problems. It may be an issue of space as one poster noted. Maybe if I try the front car?? What do you think?

Thanks.

I am pretty sure both KI and KD will not go back to the OTSR's for FOF. I understand your frustrations as I am 6'3" and my knees take a beating trying to latch down the lap bar. The problem is that Paramount retro-fitted the trains, that were designed to have OTSR's, with lap bars. The floor space in those original trains were not meant to handle a lap restraint mechanism of this type. They did the best they could with what they had at the time. Maybe, in the furture, Cedar Fair will fund the money to buy new trains that were designed for lap restaints from the start.

I don't have any problem with the lap bars in the IJST coaster and those lap restraints are exactly the same as used on the FOF. I think there is more spacing between the seat and the base of the lap bars as well as the bucket seats being deeper on the IJST trains than those on the FOF. This combination allows me to stretch my legs out further and allowing me to drop my knees down. :unsure:

I know it's unlikely, but I'd like to see the same restraints as on Millenium Force. To me, those are pretty good restraints.

If FoF ever goes back to OTSR's I will not ride it again. The head banging was terrible and for me it turned into almost a totally different ride when they switched the restraints.

Trains cost around a million dollars each and I doubt Cedar Fair is willing to spend that much money to give people more leg room so a larger percentage of the population can fit.

SOB is getting new trains (well retrofitting old trains from another park) so I believe you might not have any problems on that when it reopens later this year.

I do like that SOB is getting new trains, if that's true. I only rode it once because my knees got killed when I did ride it. That would be sweet. It seems like a pretty fun ride, but I don't remember much from all the pain. HAHAHA..

The rear left seat of any car has the most room. I didn't used to be able to fit in the front row of any car - but could fit in the rear left seat. Don't know why it has more room than the rear right seat - it just does. The front seats have that raised area because of the wheels - that's why they're a tighter fit. They push your knees up higher.

Also if you can cross your feet it seems to help you get your knees under the restraint. If you can just get your knees under the bar, its usually no problem to get your belt to buckle - unless you just have big legs like me.

It won't happen, sorry. The changed to lap bars for a reason. Now do you have a problem with fitting at all or getting the belt to buckle?

If I may ask, what, specifically was the reason?

It was really painful with the OTSR. You hit your head pretty hard on the restraints. It stopped a lot of people from riding the ride.

If I may ask, what, specifically was the reason?

It was really painful with the OTSR. You hit your head pretty hard on the restraints. It stopped a lot of people from riding the ride.

Ah, that's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't because of some mechanical reason.

Yeah I know from experience what you mean by it being a tight fit. I am 6'7 and I have problems fitting also, the way I try to solve this is to try to sit in the front of the cars, they seem to have the most room. Then it takes and interesting maneuver to get myself into the seat, don't ask me how I do it I'm sure that it looks interesting. Also I really cant wait till Son of Beast gets its new trains for hopefully more spacing and no knee banging on that metal bar.

Yeah I know from experience what you mean by it being a tight fit. I am 6'7 and I have problems fitting also, the way I try to solve this is to try to sit in the front of the cars, they seem to have the most room. Then it takes and interesting maneuver to get myself into the seat, don't ask me how I do it I'm sure that it looks interesting. Also I really cant wait till Son of Beast gets its new trains for hopefully more spacing and no knee banging on that metal bar.

See now that's what I'm thinking for FOF. The front seats may afford me a little extra room to wiggle in there. Well, the front SEAT actually. If not, I'll try the back, and see where it goes from there. In the past, I've had to cross my feet to get into some coasters, none at KI, but some at CP. But you can ride it though? You're taller than me so if you can ride it, I shouldn't have a problem, eh?

Interesting. When I was a much larger person, I found it was the BACK seats of cars that had more room on Flight of Fear...not the fronts.

I'm giving it a last-ditch effort when I go on the 16th. I'll try the back seats, and if that doesn't work, I may see if I can try the front. If that doesn't work, I'll be disappointed. :angry:

See now that's what I'm thinking for FOF. The front seats may afford me a little extra room to wiggle in there. Well, the front SEAT actually. If not, I'll try the back, and see where it goes from there. In the past, I've had to cross my feet to get into some coasters, none at KI, but some at CP. But you can ride it though? You're taller than me so if you can ride it, I shouldn't have a problem, eh?

Yeah I would guess so. The way I get in certainly interesting, actually I just remembered once I finally get in the seat I have to get my legs as low as I can, then i have to kinda force the bar over my legs, trust me there has been times where I have wondered if I would fit. Yeah the only rides at Kings Island I cant ride is Rugrats and Delirium, which sucks cause it looks a lot of fun.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all. I'm new here. I was just wondering, would CF/KI ever consider going back to the over the shoulder restraints for FOF? I used to love that ride, but now I can't fit in there. I'm 6'5", and I'm unable to get my knees to go under the lap bar. I know the shoulder restraints caused a bit of "headbang", but as it is now, I can't ride it. I also have the same problem for SOB. I know it's not likely, but it would be appreciated by the tall folks out there. Is that something that could happen, or not? Thanks for your time.

I actually liked the OTSR better myself, but a friend of mine had her earrings poke holes in the sides of her head from the banging on them. I'm a little heavy, so the lap bars are a problem for me too. I have to fight to get it to go down far enough and I didn't have to do that with the OTSR.

I actually liked the OTSR better myself, but a friend of mine had her earrings poke holes in the sides of her head from the banging on them. I'm a little heavy, so the lap bars are a problem for me too. I have to fight to get it to go down far enough and I didn't have to do that with the OTSR.

I'm in the boat with you. I had to get off FoF yesterday after both of the ride ops were both on top (not kidding) of my bar just trying to get the stupid belt to buckle.

Now what about Delirium?? I'm 6'3" and it's so-so on that...I know a few years back Jermaine O'Neal of the Indiana Pacers tried to ride Delirium, but he was too tall...now I realize he's almost 7'!! But what's the height requirement?

I also know if you're tall forget about fair rides (not that anybody should be riding them really!!), but I know most of their OTSR's are ratched as opposed to like hydraulic that most *real* ride OTSR's are...

Now what about Delirium?? I'm 6'3" and it's so-so on that...I know a few years back Jermaine O'Neal of the Indiana Pacers tried to ride Delirium, but he was too tall...now I realize he's almost 7'!! But what's the height requirement?

I also know if you're tall forget about fair rides (not that anybody should be riding them really!!), but I know most of their OTSR's are ratched as opposed to like hydraulic that most *real* ride OTSR's are...

I've never ridden Delirium but the site sets max height at 6'3". You're right about riding fair rides. Once you've been to a good amusement park, they don't compare.