Panda Express: Now Open!

BoddaH1994

...I've said again and again that what the park needs most is a sit down, table service restaurant. But if, as I expect, they'd intend to charge in the mid-twenties each for that, they may as well just forget it. The market is not there for that inside Kings Island. At least not at the quality and selection levels they are so far delivering.

Three years later and I still say what Kings Island needs most is a sit down, table service restaurant with quality food and moderate (not sky high) pricing....

Three years....

How many more years, how many more?

Terp, who has long been astounded at the lack of healthy and/or high quality food choices at Kings Island, and remains so today. It was not always thus...once upon a time, some of the best food Terp ever et he did so at Kings Island...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be happy to get two of the three...as it is now, you are lucky to get one of the three...

Quite frankly, even by Cedar Fair/Six Flags standards, Kings Island is in the bottom 1/3, in my opinion, when it comes to food in either quality or choices, while charging some of the highest prices in the entire North American park industry.

There's a reason why the parking lot is full of picnickers and a torrent of cars leaves the lot in search of better and/or more economical food choices...

I agree. Can you still get Montgomery Inn pulled pork sandwiches regularly in the park these days?

I would think that a nice sit down restaurant would be a big hit, if done right. I mean, ALL of Kings Island`s eateries are what Walt Disney World dubs as counter service. Ie, you wait in line, select your food, then pay for said food before sitting down. Nowhere in Kings Island do they offer table service where you are waited on. I just find that surprising. Especially since Cedar Point has a TGI Fridays. Will next year finally be the year that Kings Island gets a sit down restaurant? I doubt it, but you never know.

The other thing that KI needs to do is install a restroom back at X-Base. I was with some fellow Coney employees on Saturday at KI, and one of them had to go to the restroom (we were getting ready to enter the line for Death Row. One of my coworkers turned to me and asked where the closest restroom was. I said all the way down to the left or all the way down to the right.

Well Rivertown Junction is a nice sit down restaurant, mostly for the fact that's it's all you can eat so for $18.00 you can have as much food as you can stomach. Along with all you can drink for as long as you are in there. Although I would want them to open at least one more sit down restaurant that isn't somebody else's brand of food.

I'd have less problem with that if the food were not of the variety typically found at a Golden Corral (where I choose not to eat when outside the park at even half the price). And again, there is no table service restaurant at Kings Island...which is pretty amazing, given the park's size.

There once was, above the admissions area in the front building on International Street, and wonderful food was served there, too...

There's a reason why the parking lot is full of picnickers and a torrent of cars leaves the lot in search of better and/or more economical food choices...

Having finally watched the Great Wolf Lodge "Undercover Boss" episode last night (I love DVR!), wasn't it interesting that she worked in the restaurant at the Mason GWL and said something along the lines of 'there are plenty of good restaurant alternatives around this location and we need to ensure we keep people inside to eat'

during my visit to KI 10/8/10 my fiance and I ate in Festhaus, I had a Bacon Cheeseburger (half a strip of bacon mind you), fries, and a drink, my fiance had a grilled chicken sandwich, fries, and a drink our total came to $38.00 i was very shocked, the food wasn't very good either. :angry: :angry:

And for that $38, you had to stand in line, wait to pay, and carry your food on a tray to your own table, which, with any luck, might possibly have been clean. And if you wanted any toppings on those sandwiches, you were expected to put it on there yourself.

Also, I'd like to point out to those who point to Rivertown Junction, there are many of us to whom unlimited quantities (of limited quality) are either of no interest (as we don't eat much) or actually something we very much avoid (as we have had in the past had or now have weight issues and do not want to be confronted with unlimited portions). I'd much rather have four ounces of wonderfulness served to me by someone else than to be able to gorge on six tons of mediocrity that I both have to get myself and can continue to eat long after I should have stopped...At least for some of us, we can hear our parental voices telling us we paid big money and should get our monies' worth. Even today, peers often chide or make fun of me for eating so little in such locales...but Terp's days of being a big guy are done, and he's not doing it again.

And for that $38, you had to stand in line, wait to pay, and carry your food on a tray to your own table, which, with any luck, might possibly have been clean. And if you wanted any toppings on those sandwiches, you were expected to put it on there yourself.

I think you're being too kind calling those 100 ft long monstrosities tables! Also if your going to spend $38 on bad food, is it too much to ask for something to sit on other than what look like prison benches?

For us, it's worth leaving the park, driving 2 miles north, get fast food for a tenth of the price, and sit on something that has a back on it. If you go to Frisch's, they even wait on you. Not that the quality is any better, but we don't feel completely taken advantage of.

Of all the parks we've been to (KI,CP, BG Europe, SF Georgia, SF St Louis, Carrowinds) only CP and Carrowinds are close to restaurants that are within walking distance of the park. Sad you have to leave a park to find decent food at a price that doesn't involve some form of refinancing or credit check. BG Europe had great food, but they seem way too proud of it for what it was.

I know these parks aren't non profit, but I've never understood the need to gouge your loyal patrons as badly as they do.

I can think of one big reason why KI doesn't have table service: time. Would a guest who paid for a one day ticket really want to take the time required at a sit down restaurant out of their visit, when they can eat at a sitdown restaurant anytime, or would they want to get something quick so they can get back to riding rides and watching shows? If Cedar Fair thought that table service would make money at KI, we would have one.

I can think of one big reason why KI doesn't have table service: time. Would a guest who paid for a one day ticket really want to take the time required at a sit down restaurant out of their visit, when they can eat at a sitdown restaurant anytime, or would they want to get something quick so they can get back to riding rides and watching shows? If Cedar Fair thought that table service would make money at KI, we would have one.

Huh. You know I never really thought about it that way.

I can think of one big reason why KI doesn't have table service: time. Would a guest who paid for a one day ticket really want to take the time required at a sit down restaurant out of their visit, when they can eat at a sitdown restaurant anytime, or would they want to get something quick so they can get back to riding rides and watching shows?

Sit-down, table service restaurants work well at other parks, I don't see why Kings Island would be any different.

Absolutely.

Cedar Point has a good grill under Raptor and I love getting to just sit, enjoy my food and my company while someone waits on me. They get a great tip and I get a good meal and relaxation.

I (and the party I travel with) do the exact same thing at KI but we go to Ruby Tuesdays instead. We order a lot and often spend a bunch on drinks... I'd really rather give that money to KI but not for what they serve.

You might, but I doubt that enough guests do to make it worth it for the park to add a restaurant like that. If IR ever becomes a restaurant again, I have a feeling it would be set up similarly to Festhaus. I know about what CP has, but what works there might not work at KI. As I said, if CF felt it would make money, they would add it.

This is actually just another discussion about the type of atmosphere and guests they are trying to attract. IN the front of KI I'm just cramming in rides. In Coney Mall, I stroll leisurely and like just lounging around in the back. Watching DB, taking pics and chatting with friends. Think of how people like to hang out around the fountains and casually snack while they chat. If they didn't have the sit down options at CP, I and everyone would still be eating out of a cooler.

Abnother example. For some reason, I made a tradition of Ruby Tuesdays at KI and never... not once, with any of the groups that I travel with have I ever packed a cooler.

Oh I don't know about that CedarPointer. My family must travel at least a couple hours to get to a amusement/theme park, so it is always a long day for us and we tend to enjoy a quit sit down meal when we visit the parks. It gives us some time to relax and recharge and to be honest having a nice meal has become part of our park experience.

Here is a list of where we have eaten as a family when visiting the parks this year.

KI as a family we have left the park to eat at Skyline Chili and at Frisch's Big Boy.

At Holiday World, we chose Plymouth Rock but went to the other side of the building away from the crowd and noise.

At Dollywood we ate at Aunt Granny's, a sit down table service restaurant.

The past few weeks

Busch Gardens Tampa - Counter Service but they offered full service, we had a reservation elsewhere after the park closed so we will try Busch Gardens table service next year. Especially since the construction will be done.

Animal kingdom – Sit down Tusker House

Magic Kingdom – Sit down Tony's Restaurant

0_0_d3328fafc8dfe3640db68f4ffee5cd56_1.jpg

Hollywood Studios – Brown Derby, a full service nostalgic replica restaurant from old Hollywood.

0_0_edd363a785f6b90746e48c5279a6452e_1.jpg

EPCOT - The new Italy Pizzeria, which serves a verity of pasta and individual gourmet made to order pizzas.

0_0_92532aec30e06f22cab811338a4b61cb_1.jpg

Sea World – Makahiki Lual

0_0_34e7d6368c11ac7bcde4f0af91717998_1.jpg

Why such a long post – well as you can see we do eat at sit down places at the parks and at every park I mentioned above except for two offers a sit down restaurant and if you did not have a reservation then you waited for a very long time, if they even offered you to wait. This is during the off season so you can see there is a demand for full service table service. At Holiday World's Plymouth Rock there is always a line, but at Kings Island closes to table style service, we have never had to wait more than two families. As always I am not knocking Kings Island as it is my home park but in the Food Service area is where I am most displeased, basically because it lacks in so many areas and is way over priced for what I get. I do spend more $ at the other parks for food as my example above shows. So I am willing to spend the $, but just for what I feel is worth it.

I do not think that it is a question if KI will make money with a table service but more of an issue with upfront capital expenditure.

When I go to the park me and my girlfriend don't usually eat bc honestly most of the food doesn't look very appetizing. Panda Express looks decent but they're kinda steep on prices. We were in Festhaus in mid August on a saturday and the table we sat at during the storm while everything was shut down was a mess and many employees walked right by it and didn't even come over to clean it up. We usually just get a water and share a funnel cake and that holds us off for the day until we leave.

If they added a nice sit down restaurant with a different atmosphere than the other food areas of the park I'd be more inclined to start spending more money on food at the park though.

If they added a nice sit down restaurant with a different atmosphere than the other food areas of the park I'd be more inclined to start spending more money on food at the park though.

I can kind of see where you're coming from. I was at the park for several hours tonight and got hungry, but nothing at the park sounded good so I didn't eat. You must admit, however, that the selection has greatly improved over the past several years. For a long time it was pretty much burgers or LaRosa's.

My apprehension with having a nice table service restaurant is that you may be paying amusement park prices for the food plus a premium for the service. They could potentially price themselves out of their own market.

Yes, since it is Cedar Fair, I can see that....but...Famous Dave's and TGIFridays at Cedar Point are only slightly higher than other locations. And the chicken restaurant at Knott's (they would want me to use the name, and I will when I can wear my glasses on their coasters and not before) is quite reasonable, though not as high in quality as it was before Cedar Fair acquired the place, in my opinion...

So far, all the times I've eaten in the park this year, I've been happy with what I got. Early in the season I ate at Junction, and it was pretty good- not my favorite buffet ever, but I didn't think it was bad. I ate at Festhaus LaRosa's twice, both times the food was great (I prefer putting my own toppings on, because it's probably faster than having to ask for them to be put on). Ate at Panda Express on Saturday and it was really good, it was easily enough to split with someone else, which I did. :) I've also eaten at Skyline a few times.

From my own experience, Outer Hanks is the best deal in the park. For $8.00 you get a rather large portion of fish and chips. Around $10 bucks for a large portion of shrimp and fries. The food quality is very good... (Even compared to similar meals at restaurants outside the park.)

The food is filling enough that one visit to Outer Hanks can keep me occupied for an entire day at Kings Island.

0_0_edd363a785f6b90746e48c5279a6452e_1.jpg

Sorry but I've just got to ask....What in the world is that? I'm not a picky eater and will try most anything, but that is scary looking, lol.

As for KI, they need to either drop the prices some or cook food that is worth the high price. The burgers are hit and miss and I'm sure they all start with the same frozen patties. Even the Pizza (which I normally love) was pretty blah this past Saturday. I have yet to try the buffet or Outer Hanks though.

From my own experience, Outer Hanks is the best deal in the park. For $8.00 you get a rather large portion of fish and chips. Around $10 bucks for a large portion of shrimp and fries. The food quality is very good... (Even compared to similar meals at restaurants outside the park.)

The food is filling enough that one visit to Outer Hanks can keep me occupied for an entire day at Kings Island.

Ohhhhh. I *love* Outer Hank's. Given a choice between a $8.51 fish basket at Hank's and a $6 six inch at Subway, I would definitely take the fish. It's actually pretty reasonable given what you would pay for that outside the park.

(btw, I've always wondered if it's Outer Hanks or Outer Hank's. I always thought it was supposed to be Hank's, as in, the stand is "owned" by someone named Hank- especially because of the mailbox. But who knows.)

In my opinion, Kings Island doesn't need a new restaurant, they need improvements of the ones that are already there. We have enough food options at the park, but improving the quality of the food and improving the prices are what the park needs, especially when the general public is starting to realize that a day at Kings Island could cost a person well over 100 bucks if they don't watch out.

And as far as I'm concerned, Outer Hanks is the best restaurant at the park in terms of food quality (the fish taste great!), but it could use some bigger portions. I still can't believe that they actually served slaw out of a little, plastic, sauce container. I haven't eaten at the Rivertown Junction, but now I wish I had. It seems like the best deal at the park.

I'd like to see improvement in the food department starting in 2011. If this is how Cedar Fair plans on making their money, then some major adjustment needs to be made. They need to lower food prices, dramatically lower drink prices, and create a list of Gold Pass benefits that can actually be used by the average person. Until something happens, I won't be spending any money for food next year.

Food prices come in every conversation I have about Kings Island. Even the people that only visit once a year, the amount of money that they spent on a small meal comes up in conversation.

EDIT: 400th post!