2008 attractions.

DropZone99

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it is not impossible for a coaster to be added next year, I would not bet on it.

KI just added a relocated coaster, and are still in the process of renovating SoB.

I would look for the area of the park that is currently not receiving a lot of attention from guests. Chances are, that is where a new ride will be going.

According to Mr. Kinzel, Maverick took 3 years of planning. CF has not even owned KI for a whole year yet. I think it would be difficult for them to add any type of coaster for 2008, even a relocated one.

I predict that a big B&M floorless coaster will come to KI in 2009 from another park in Ohio. Maybe a water park attraction next year or a flat ride.

That's a less than subtle hint that you think Geauga Lake is not going to keep their floorless coaster. I highly doubt that CF would take out another coaster from up there after they just lost two this year. I'm really hoping for some improvements to Coney Mall where flight commander used to be. They need some new rides there to spruce up that area of the park. Those stupid trampolines really bug me.

Here's my top five list of where new rides should go, in image form:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5295/ki...ideideasqi2.jpg

For #1 they would probably have to move around some maintenance paths, but it looks like there's plenty of room for a flat or some other tracked ride.

#2 has the most room to expand, and that's were I think some 2008 water attraction(s) should go.

#3 is my only coaster option, and I don't hope or think that this one is coming just yet, but when and if it does, I hope they pull a Holiday World and save as many trees as possible making for an awesome ride experience and finally bringing back an Addams Family-style concept although with a different theme.

#4.........well IMO Days of Thunder is the biggest waste of space in the park, and I'd be glad if almost anything took it's place, although it definitely doesn't need to be a coaster.............unless they want to move IJ:ST over there. :rolleyes:

#5 is an obvious area for a flat ride, and like many have said before, a Huss Jump2 or I was thinking a S&S Sky Swat would be a good fit; this would be my 2nd choice area for a 2008 attraction.

As much as it's NOT going to happen I would LOVE to see the return of the Phantom Theater! Again, I propose my idea/plan of "Phantom Theater: Meastro's Revenge" (or) "Phantom Theater: Act Two"... leaving the time it was gone as the "intermission". It be cool to have this in Rivertown in the lake area or in a really old, creepy theater (facade) behind TR:TR!

-Hauntguy

Here's my top five list of where new rides should go, in image form:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5295/ki...ideideasqi2.jpg

For #1 they would probably have to move around some maintenance paths, but it looks like there's plenty of room for a flat or some other tracked ride.

#2 has the most room to expand, and that's were I think some 2008 water attraction(s) should go.

#3 is my only coaster option, and I don't hope or think that this one is coming just yet, but when and if it does, I hope they pull a Holiday World and save as many trees as possible making for an awesome ride experience and finally bringing back an Addams Family-style concept although with a different theme.

#4.........well IMO Days of Thunder is the biggest waste of space in the park, and I'd be glad if almost anything took it's place, although it definitely doesn't need to be a coaster.............unless they want to move IJ:ST over there. :rolleyes:

#5 is an obvious area for a flat ride, and like many have said before, a Huss Jump2 or I was thinking a S&S Sky Swat would be a good fit; this would be my 2nd choice area for a 2008 attraction.

I like the idea of the dive coaster around that lake in Rivertown. Hopefully if they put one there they would theme the coaster around the lake and, as you said, leave as many trees as possible. Rivertown doesn't really have that many rides that actually go with the idea of a town on/about a river or body of water so leaving the lake there and building the coaster around/partial over it would be a must.

IMHO, I believe that the next attraction will go in Rivertown, regardless of if it is a coaster or a flat ride. That side of the park is in serious need of SOME rides.

Rivertown was one of my favorite areas of the park but it was completely destroyed by Paramount IMO. They annexed the Thornberry ride to Nick Zone and plopped the ugly and out of place Tomb Raider right into the middle of what should be an old west themed area. I'd love to see Rivertown returned to its former glory but I just don't see it happening as long as that eyesore Tomb Raider is still there.

If you ask me, Paramount did a really crappy job of maintaining the original areas of the park. Rivertown and Oktoberfest have been reduced so much that they are barely recognizable as distinct areas. Also, Coney Mall is in serious need of some revitalization.

Add the mess that was Action Zone (particularly compared to the Congo) and the dilapidated mish mash they let International Street's shops become. . .and the condition of Timberwolf...

It always amazes me when I read, as I did again yesterday in Fun World Magazine, that Mr. Kinzel says the Paramount Parks properties were in great shape.

Lets Face it OCTOBERFEST is gone ,and river town without revitalization is in exteme danger of disappearing , becoming a link to coney mall and Nick Universe. With a world class Coaster Beast along its path and maybe if they start now really rebuild that area of the park.

Bring back great shops' too to the entrance area, and Coney mall all i can see is where the trampo'attraction is A great flat ride would be great.

It always amazes me when I read, as I did again yesterday in Fun World Magazine, that Mr. Kinzel says the Paramount Parks properties were in great shape.

Perhaps he was comparing the PP's to a certain Ohio park that CF has also purchased?

"...Cedar Fair has commented on how bad KI needs steel coasters. "

Curious... Who at CF made this comment? When? What interview?

I seriously doubt they said anything remotely of the sort. Just from a PR standpoint, a wise Marketer never points out anyting that may be "lacking" about their product. They would simply reference their existing "collection of world class coasters."

According to press releases, Firehawk's addition takes the park's count to 14. They are either counting Avatar... or they are counting Racer twice. Let's assume they are counting Avatar. If that's the case, then the wooden coaster count is 4, while the steel coaster count is 10. By that comparison, I don't think that they are lacking (in volume) steel coasters.

"It would not shock me at all if KI got another coaster next year especially with how excited people are over Firehawk."

It would shock me. The industry has seen drastic dips in attendance in recent seasons that included large coaster installs. Cedar Point specifically saw dips the years that Wicked Twister and TTD were opened. I would assume they have learned their lesson since Kinzel himself has been quoted saying that adding TTD was "the worst decision of his career." He was referring to it's terrible downtime, costly operating budget and under-performance as an attendance generator.

I think that Firehawk will be deemed a successful install at KI. And I am sure it will generate attendance traffic for them. However, soaring gas prices will counter that draw... resulting in what I think will be an attendance wash at KI this year.

CF history also shows that they tend to operate on the 2-3 season gap system. Meaning they typically wait 2 to 3 years before they proceed with their next coaster install. I would suspect we'll see KI's next "large" coaster in 2009 or 2010. I hope for sooner, but doubt it will happen.

The one thing I'll say about CF is that they do invest in quality coasters. They typically stick with installs by the two biggest and best names in the coaster business.... B&M and Intamin. I dream of the day when KI finally get's it's just deserts and see's a B&M install. KI has been crying out for years (IMO) for a B&M or Intamin Hyper.

I feel that if they take that leap in the next 2-3 years it will totally redeem the park in many thrill-seekers eyes.

Ok, just to add to the rumor mill. A fellow guest (who sells houses and knows some people in the front office) said they were putting in a hyper next year.

However, they also stated that they were going to demolish the Amplitheatre and Congo Falls to make room for it. (Reason was so it could be seen from the highway.).

I quickly responded to him that if you put a 300ft roller coaster ANYWHERE on the property you could see it from the highway. From the bobcats and the clearing of land it is possible that this is what they could be doing.

We'll have to wait, see and keep our ears open.

Todd

I am all for Kings Island recieving a 300 ft. Coaster. Or anything less or anything more. However. This website was graced with excitement and interest in Firehawk forever and a day , long before track ever even started showing up at Kings Island's gate.

And my comment is, isn't this enough for now? Kings Island got a new coaster. Granted, as mentioned in other posts, it is not a record breaker. But it does seat four across, which is a 1st for Kings Island, and it is a flying coaster, another 1st for Kings Island. This is part of what Kings Island needs. Unique qualities to their rides. If I were to get to choose the design for the next coaster, I would introduce another Stand Up coaster. One bigger and faster than the King Cobra was. It could be yet another choice for guests to choose from when attempting to satisfy their own personal thrill levels. But as I mentioned before, I am perfectly happy right now with Firehawk. And dare I say, take some time to enjoy it, and the rest of the season. And later, you will have the unique opportunity to ride Son of Beast AGAIN for the 1st time. It should be like riding a whole new coaster. And again I dare say, simply enjoy it! Then take a drive to Cedar Point and enjoy Maverick. There are a lot of new things to enjoy this summer. Take advantage of it, and worry about next years season when it comes around. Because trust me, much like Firehawk, it will be here sooner than you think. And will you be bored with it and looking forward to 09 then?

m.f.21

Shaggy you hit the nail on the head. I will say some of the attendance drops have been from the rise in gas prices and probably won't get any better this year. I don't see any coaster next year at all. They may start some construction for one, but there probably won't be a new coaster to ride next year.

Those speaking of specific areas to build a Roller Coaster should look back at what CP has done with their coasters. They are very very particular in their placements and very versatile. The next coaster will probably have a que that draws people to a certain spot in the park (say like Rivertown) The ride itself could go over several section though. Cedar Point has been very good at doing this. A prime example would be Mellinium Force. They can make the ride work with it's surroundings and flow with the park.

Not only have the shops on I-street gone down some, but I remember when you use to get to the park early you could walk through the shops while waiting for the rides to start-up. They had the park blocked off beyond the tower. Now you get there and early and your options are 2 or 3 gift shops, restrooms, Stroller rental/lockers, Guest Relations and thats it. Bring back being able to go through the shops while waiting for the rides to start.

If I were to get to choose the design for the next coaster, I would introduce another Stand Up coaster. One bigger and faster than the King Cobra was. It could be yet another choice for guests to choose from when attempting to satisfy their own personal thrill levels.

http://www.rcdb.com/ir.htm?cls=277&des...=1&order=-6

I seriously doubt that KI, or any other park, will be planning another stand-up coaster. The stand-up is the gimmick of all gimmick coasters. There is a clear reason why there has not been another stand-up built since 1999- a majority of the people just don't like them. They are not comfortable. Load/ unload times are terrible. The layouts are boring- due to extreme forces on the rider. Oh ya, they are umcomfortable as well. ;)

I can't say it is impossible, but it is just really unlikely for KI to get a stand-up.

Quite honestly, I would rather see the park install another log flume before another coaster. I really loved going on KCKC, and was rather upset to see it go. The same goes for WWL at CP. I want to have a decent water ride w/o getting soaked.

But I would not be upset with a B&M inverted or hyper as well!

Ok Here are my 2 cents as to what will be done say withen a few years.

1.) The area to the left of FOF could be used to develop a couple flat rides maybe something similar to a top scan http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index/MondialTopScan.jpg or Cedar Point's SkyHawk. Also you put a bathroom somewhere back in XBase, a resturaunt and maybe a giftshop and you have a new area.

2.) Oktoberfest will be gone, which isn't a big loss honestly it's been shrinking as many others have already said. Some retheming and this area can be split among coney mall and Action Zone, and maybe some of the german theming could still be used as part of International Street?

3.) I would love to see Coney Mall be just that. When you walk into this area it would be awesome if it felt like Coney Island or an old carnival. Maybe add a couple classic carnival rides, and like many have already said a Huss Jump 2 where flight commander used to be seems like a perfect fit to me.

4.) Action Zone - If they were to get ride of TimberWolf Theatre not only could they build a couple flat rides, another attraction or possibly a small coaster, but it would make it SOO much easier to walk to Top Gun, and I think one thing CF wants to do with this park is make it more organized. PKI got a lot of critisism for being a hard to navigate park so something like this could help it out

5.) Finally the pond in the middle of RiverTown would be a perfect spot for a new roller coaster would The Dominator from GL fit there? Im very sad to say it but I think all the dry rides at GL are doomed for shipment to other parks. And everyone is saying how awesome it would be to have a B&M roller coaster at KI, well there you go how about the world's longest floorless coaster? Also if they re-themed this area, and the new coaster to be a lot like Cedar Points frontier town it would be amazing.

Well thats my ideas let me know what you think.

Why is everyone so intent on getting a HUSS Jump 2, last time I checked wasn't HUSS in financial shambles and had moved from Bremen to become a company that would be switching to making portable rides and selling what they had left?

IMO a Huss Jump 2 (other than Top Spins and Giant Frisbees) is one of the better flat rides, and a ride high up in the air would be fun to replace a ride that used to take up some air space over there. (it's one of the few flat rides that doesn't look like it came from a traveling county fair.)

I seriously doubt that KI, or any other park, will be planning another stand-up coaster. The stand-up is the gimmick of all gimmick coasters. There is a clear reason why there has not been another stand-up built since 1999- a majority of the people just don't like them. They are not comfortable. Load/ unload times are terrible. The layouts are boring- due to extreme forces on the rider. Oh ya, they are umcomfortable as well. wink.gif

I can't say it is impossible, but it is just really unlikely for KI to get a stand-up.

I agree, it's very unlikely we see any new stand-ups anytime soon, but I would be thrilled if we got one. Mantis at Cedar Point is the only stand-up I've ridden, but I loved it.

Anyway, my suggestion for TR is to maybe paint the outside of the building to fit in with the theming of rivertown. I don't know how they could do it so it fits in with both the western theme of rivertown and the jungly theming of the ride itself. If they maybe painted it light brown with vines on the sides it would at least be less of an eyesore.

Im hoping for an expansion of the X-Base section, and feature a bathroom, a restraunt, and maybe 1 flat ride.

Rivertown- New roller coaster, B&M.

Get rid of Oktoberfest and make more shops and a ride like Skyhawk.

Kepp the Action Zone how it is for a few years.

=]

Im hoping for an expansion of the X-Base section, and feature a bathroom, a restraunt, and maybe 1 flat ride.

Rivertown- New roller coaster, B&M.

Get rid of Oktoberfest and make more shops and a ride like Skyhawk.

Keep the Action Zone how it is for a few years.

=]

"...Cedar Fair has commented on how bad KI needs steel coasters. "

Curious... Who at CF made this comment? When? What interview?

I seriously doubt they said anything remotely of the sort. Just from a PR standpoint, a wise Marketer never points out anyting that may be "lacking" about their product. They would simply reference their existing "collection of world class coasters."

According to press releases, Firehawk's addition takes the park's count to 14. They are either counting Avatar... or they are counting Racer twice. Let's assume they are counting Avatar. If that's the case, then the wooden coaster count is 4, while the steel coaster count is 10. By that comparison, I don't think that they are lacking (in volume) steel coasters.

"It would not shock me at all if KI got another coaster next year especially with how excited people are over Firehawk."

It would shock me. The industry has seen drastic dips in attendance in recent seasons that included large coaster installs. Cedar Point specifically saw dips the years that Wicked Twister and TTD were opened. I would assume they have learned their lesson since Kinzel himself has been quoted saying that adding TTD was "the worst decision of his career." He was referring to it's terrible downtime, costly operating budget and under-performance as an attendance generator.

I think that Firehawk will be deemed a successful install at KI. And I am sure it will generate attendance traffic for them. However, soaring gas prices will counter that draw... resulting in what I think will be an attendance wash at KI this year.

CF history also shows that they tend to operate on the 2-3 season gap system. Meaning they typically wait 2 to 3 years before they proceed with their next coaster install. I would suspect we'll see KI's next "large" coaster in 2009 or 2010. I hope for sooner, but doubt it will happen.

The one thing I'll say about CF is that they do invest in quality coasters. They typically stick with installs by the two biggest and best names in the coaster business.... B&M and Intamin. I dream of the day when KI finally get's it's just deserts and see's a B&M install. KI has been crying out for years (IMO) for a B&M or Intamin Hyper.

I feel that if they take that leap in the next 2-3 years it will totally redeem the park in many thrill-seekers eyes.

I think you are refering to my post. The comment of KI needing steal coasters was made in Kinzel's interview with the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

He said, "We didn’t close [the deal] until June 30 of last year so we didn’t have a lot of time. To order a coaster, it takes two or three years. We’re moving the coaster from Geauga Lake and, hopefully, we’ll get a big bang out of that at Kings Island because we felt they needed a steel coaster."

It wouldn't shock me if they were planning another coaster because he made the comment that KI was the best family park and CP was the best thrill park and they were going to work to make them both have elements of each other. I am not saying there will be a new coaster next year but based on Kinzel's comments I would say there will be one soon. The 2 to 3 year design comment makes me think 2009 unless they move another one next year from up north.

Here they are:

"Kings Island is a beautiful park. It was built in 1972 and it has all the magnificent fountains. Kings Island was done with a master plan. I was just there and I went up into the Eiffel Tower and looked around the property. I’m so proud that’s part of the Cedar Fair family.

We have plans for that. We have plans for all of the Paramount parks. Certainly, we were limited as to what we could do this year because of time. We weren’t able to put our rides or some of the things we wanted to put in the first year because of time restraints.

We don’t want to change Kings Island’s appearance. There’s going to be more of an emphasis on families with teens, sort of like Cedar Point. For the last nine years, Cedar Point has been voted the No. 1 amusement park in the world by everyone in the industry. But Kings Island, for the last seven years, has been the No. 1 family venue with its Nickelodeon theme.

In the Cedar Fair parks, we’ve been very successful by putting in coasters and thrill rides and trying to combine families with the teen market. You’ll see a lot of the family elements that were at Paramount parks introduced at the Cedar Fair parks and you’ll see a lot of the Cedar Fair elements introduced at the Paramount parks."

http://www.cleveland.com/plaindealer/stori...&thispage=1

The next person who mentions a bathroom in "X-Base" needs there head examined!!!!!! For the love of Pete's sake, just walk the 100yrds to the bathroom in either direction. either that or get a catheter and a leg bag!!!!!