2008 attractions.

DropZone99

IMO, Kings Island's next coaster, which might not be for 2-3 years, should be something like Maverick: not necessarily a record-breaker, but a long, fast, well-themed coaster with unique elements to it. A ride that is unique in itself. (I have never seen Maverick in person, but I am basing this from what I have found out about the ride.)

Edit: BTW, I also agree that is is wayy too early to start a topic like this. Honestly, Firehawk hasn't even been open for a week!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who has probably ridden a Huss Jump2 more than anyone else on this board, I have several things to say about that;

a. There is no flat ride that is more fun, more visually exciting or a better fit at Kings Island, BUT

b. These rides are EXTREMELY unreliable. They can operate an hour and be shut down for days. They can run three days and then break down. Parts are very difficult to get. They are a maintenance headache.

I cannot imagine Kings Island (or Cedar Fair) buying another HUSS ride any time soon. Just look at the problems Kings Island has had with TRTR and Delirium.

Reliability counts for a great deal in the industry. And HUSS, at least recently, hasn't had it.

Do I need to mention Timber Terror, too?

Ok Here are my 2 cents as to what will be done say withen a few years.

1.) The area to the left of FOF could be used to develop a couple flat rides maybe something similar to a top scan http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index/MondialTopScan.jpg or Cedar Point's SkyHawk. Also you put a bathroom somewhere back in XBase, a resturaunt and maybe a giftshop and you have a new area.

2.) Oktoberfest will be gone, which isn't a big loss honestly it's been shrinking as many others have already said. Some retheming and this area can be split among coney mall and Action Zone, and maybe some of the german theming could still be used as part of International Street?

3.) I would love to see Coney Mall be just that. When you walk into this area it would be awesome if it felt like Coney Island or an old carnival. Maybe add a couple classic carnival rides, and like many have already said a Huss Jump 2 where flight commander used to be seems like a perfect fit to me.

4.) Action Zone - If they were to get ride of TimberWolf Theatre not only could they build a couple flat rides, another attraction or possibly a small coaster, but it would make it SOO much easier to walk to Top Gun, and I think one thing CF wants to do with this park is make it more organized. PKI got a lot of critisism for being a hard to navigate park so something like this could help it out

5.) Finally the pond in the middle of RiverTown would be a perfect spot for a new roller coaster would The Dominator from GL fit there? Im very sad to say it but I think all the dry rides at GL are doomed for shipment to other parks. And everyone is saying how awesome it would be to have a B&M roller coaster at KI, well there you go how about the world's longest floorless coaster? Also if they re-themed this area, and the new coaster to be a lot like Cedar Points frontier town it would be amazing.

Well thats my ideas let me know what you think.

#1. They need to fix up the areas they already have before they go making new ones.

#2. Sad but true I'm afraid. I'd like to see as much German theming preserved as possible as part of IS. I'm not sure how Adventure Express fits in. I would say it goes best with AZ but it is much closer to CM.

#3. This should definitely be a top priority for CF. If Coney Mall were given a small face-lift with one or two new flat rides down by Vortex it would be so much better.

#4. I don't think Timberwolf is going anywhere anytime soon. Also, you are letting the park map deceive you if you think dismantling it would provide easier access to Top Gun. Looking at Google Earth I don't see any way in which they could modify things to make TG less of a hassle to get to.

#5. I don't think Dominator would fit there in the slightest unless they took out the amphitheater and Wings. Even then it would be a tight squeeze I think. Also, I'm not sure if I want to keep getting hand-me-down rides from GL no matter how cool they are. It would be nice to have an original KI ride. They do need to revamp Rivertown though and they need to put in a good attraction there before it becomes a defunct area like Oktoberfest.

Ok Here are my 2 cents as to what will be done say withen a few years.

1.) The area to the left of FOF could be used to develop a couple flat rides maybe something similar to a top scan http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index/MondialTopScan.jpg or Cedar Point's SkyHawk. Also you put a bathroom somewhere back in XBase, a resturaunt and maybe a giftshop and you have a new area.

I don't think any carnival rides will be put in KI

KI needs to remove IT:ST, and get a flying eagles ride, a ferris wheel, and a few other classic rides.

Coney Mall is turing to Action Zone. I love AZ, but CM is so post to be themed as the original Coney Island in Cinci.

Bring back Coney Mall.

=]

I think it would be awesome to get a sky swat over in X-base and a skyhawk-type ride somewhere else. I can wait a couple years for a new coaster...but it would be awesome if we got two in a row. Some one said earlier that Cedar Fair likes to wait 2-3 years btween coasters. I agree, but...they installed Millenium Force, Wicked Twister, and Top Thrill Dragster all in a 4 year span (2000-2003). I think that the fact that they took an existing ride and moved it to KI means that we have an improved chance for another coaster next year.

Sorry about the tiny pic earlier...I'll try and make a bigger one now that I'm out of school and have time do what ever I feel like.

KI usally always have worked on a 2 to 3 year plan though for a major coaster usually.

1984 - King Cobra

1987 - Vortex

1991 - Adventure Express

1992 - Little Bill's Giggle Coaster

1993 - Top Gun

1996 - FoF

1998 - Scooby's Ghoster Coaster

1999- Face/Off

2000 - Son of Beast

2001 - Runaway Reptar

2005 - IJST

2007 - Firehawk

So anything is possible. We got Face/Off and SOB back to back. It just all depends on what CF wants to bring to KI next year. We also got some smaller coasters back to to back. But major rides as you can tell are usually between 2 and 3 years.

Does anyone know how much CF spent to relocate Firehawk in comparison to how much they usually spend on a major coaster addition? If the relocate was similar in price to something like Face/Off or Wicked Twister then there might be some hope for a new coaster in 2008 based on the track record of both Ki and CP. But if it was more than they normally spend on a small coaster addition then I'm guessing we'll be seeing a flat ride. A giant swing like Skyhawk would be awesome.

No, its not cheap. Especially a ride as large as what Firehawk is. I heard a number that of the total $10 million capital expansion budget at KI in 2007, that approximately $7.5 million was spent on relocating FH. When X-Flight was installed up north back in 2001, it cost $15 million. You do the math.

I highly doubt we see a new roller coaster at Kings Island next year. Other than the Face Off Drop Zone followed by Son of Beast additions, the park has never added two "major" coasters in back to back years before. I see a flat ride or addition to the water park in 2008. Besides, Firehawk will still likely be a huge hit with park guests next year. Whatever they add next year, hopefully it won`t go in X-Base. Otherwise, we might have another Action Zone on our hands!

What KI needs to be a complete park are:

1. A B&M invert.

2. A hyper in the lines of Magnum or Apollo's Charriot.

3. A nice sit down restaurant.

4. A few more flats.

If they had these things KI would take the next step in the theme park world.

All these things are nice dreams, but....

We MUST remember several things:

a. the great coaster wars are over. ALL the parks and chains are going more toward other types of additions/investments right now.

b. there is no significant regional theme park competition for Kings Island now. Nor for Cedar Point. It must be remembered in those years when Cedar Point was installing back to back installations, a major competitor had arisen to the east...Six Flags Ohio, later known as Six Flags Worlds of Adventure, and Cedar Point had to respond decisively (just as Paramount put in Action Zone and the major rides there when it looked at first that Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom was going to be a major threat)...remember Kentucky Kingdom was Premier Parks' first conversion park to Six Flags, before that they had NOT extended the Six Flags brand...and the then manager of Kentucky Kingdom, back then identified as Six Flags' whiz kid who could make anything work, was moved to Six Flags Ohio to take on the conversion and the battle with Cedar Point (and later ended up at Great Adventure, where last year Messrs Shapiro and Snyder sent him packing...last I heard he is at Wild Adventures/Cypress Gardens).

c. One of the major reasons Cedar Fair bought Paramount Parks was to create synergies and cost savings. In English, that means "lessen our required investment in order to make the same amount of profit." Further translated, that means you are NOT going to see the same levels of investment at all the parks as you have in the past. There is a huge debt to be paid, and it is Cedar Fair's plan (unlike Six Flags) to pay it off very quickly. That means reduced investment for the time being. If admissions and/or per caps suffer, that plan will no doubt be revisited.

That all being said, this must be balanced against another fact. Mr. Kinzel truly adores Kings Island. He has for years. I bet he intends to make it better. And fast. But somehow, I don't see a major coaster installation being the top priority for next season. There are so many other things that so badly need to be done before that.

That being said, I would be remiss if I didn't add there is NO way that Mr. Kinzel will be duplicating TTD anywhere, on a smaller or larger scale. Don't look for one at Kings Island, Or even Six Flags, for that matter. Last night, Kingda Ka ran without downtime from 7pm to close. That's remarkable. It shouldn't be. Top Thrill Dragster is also up and down all the time, and not just when it is working. :)

All these things are nice dreams, but....

We MUST remember several things:

a. the great coaster wars are over. ALL the parks and chains are going more toward other types of additions/investments right now.

b. there is no significant regional theme park competition for Kings Island now. Nor for Cedar Point. It must be remembered in those years when Cedar Point was installing back to back installations, a major competitor had arisen to the east...Six Flags Ohio, later known as Six Flags Worlds of Adventure, and Cedar Point had to respond decisively (just as Paramount put in Action Zone and the major rides there when it looked at first that Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom was going to be a major threat)...remember Kentucky Kingdom was Premier Parks' first conversion park to Six Flags, before that they had NOT extended the Six Flags brand...and the then manager of Kentucky Kingdom, back then identified as Six Flags' whiz kid who could make anything work, was moved to Six Flags Ohio to take on the conversion and the battle with Cedar Point (and later ended up at Great Adventure, where last year Messrs Shapiro and Snyder sent him packing...last I heard he is at Wild Adventures/Cypress Gardens).

c. One of the major reasons Cedar Fair bought Paramount Parks was to create synergies and cost savings. In English, that means "lessen our required investment in order to make the same amount of profit." Further translated, that means you are NOT going to see the same levels of investment at all the parks as you have in the past. There is a huge debt to be paid, and it is Cedar Fair's plan (unlike Six Flags) to pay it off very quickly. That means reduced investment for the time being. If admissions and/or per caps suffer, that plan will no doubt be revisited.

That all being said, this must be balanced against another fact. Mr. Kinzel truly adores Kings Island. He has for years. I bet he intends to make it better. And fast. But somehow, I don't see a major coaster installation being the top priority for next season. There are so many other things that so badly need to be done before that.

That being said, I would be remiss if I didn't add there is NO way that Mr. Kinzel will be duplicating TTD anywhere, on a smaller or larger scale. Don't look for one at Kings Island, Or even Six Flags, for that matter. Last night, Kingda Ka ran without downtime from 7pm to close. That's remarkable. It shouldn't be. Top Thrill Dragster is also up and down all the time, and not just when it is working. :)

Very well put. We have to be patient but I think (based on Kinzel's comments about KI) we will all be here in several years with huge smiles when CF announces their next major plan of addition for KI.

I always love a little Interpretation...

Kinzel and CF had a plan when they purchased Paramount Parks. They werent purchasing them to let them sit as is and to be consistent revenue streams for CF, nor did they purchase them to make everyone of them another Cedar Point. There is a plan in place that will continue to accentuate the strong points of the former Paramount Parks, but that will also help strenghten their weaknesses, all while keeping costs down. Hence the addition of a great roller coaster and more shows at KI, what more could you ask for at KI for its first year under CF ownership?

Also dont expect any more recordbreakers soon for either CF or SixFlags. Hence the addition of a ride like Maverick and the transformation of SF Discovery Kingdom. Sorry but Fanboys arent the key demographic nor do we spend the most money. The family is the key and thats where to focus is at. All this being said, I strongly believe CF will make additions that improve the parks, the guest experience, and add to the list of rides. No longer is it ok to just add a ride and neglect the other glaring problems in parks.

I think it would be awesome to get a sky swat over in X-base and a skyhawk-type ride somewhere else. I can wait a couple years for a new coaster...but it would be awesome if we got two in a row. Some one said earlier that Cedar Fair likes to wait 2-3 years btween coasters. I agree, but...they installed Millenium Force, Wicked Twister, and Top Thrill Dragster all in a 4 year span (2000-2003). I think that the fact that they took an existing ride and moved it to KI means that we have an improved chance for another coaster next year.

Sorry about the tiny pic earlier...I'll try and make a bigger one now that I'm out of school and have time do what ever I feel like.

Cedar Point did install Millenium Force, Wicked Twister and TTD all in a 4 year span. That doesn't mean plans were not in place before one of them were built. I would almost lay money on it that they had put plans in place 2-3 years prior to each ride being built. They (Cedar Fair) also had ownership of Cedar Point way prior to any of these rides being built. Kings Island is a different story. They just gained ownership of Kings Island last year. They probably have put plans in effect for a new Roller Coaster (what type we do not know) and it will probably be built in 2009. It honestly takes 2-3 years from first planning (drawing etc.) to finish product (ride ready to open). Less than a year of that is the actual on-site construction of that ride.

I would not be surprised one bit if Cedar Fair has already taken a bid to B&M, Intamin, or any other coaster company for a new ride proposal. Next they will let the ride companies take their bid (idea of type of ride etc) and come up with something. Then comes the blueprint and numbers crunching (ride designe), next fabrication, then landscaping prep, finally construction (this is all in shortened form there are plenty more details left out in ride design). So I wouldn't get my jopes up for a Coaster next year, but I also wouldn't be upset about it. You just have to think of how long a plan like this takes. Cedar Fair will take care of Kings Island just like they do Cedar Point. Both parks are big money makers for them and neglecting either would hurt their gains.

I think the success (or not) of Firehawk will have a lot to do with how soon KI gets a new coaster. If we see a significant improvement in attendance/revenue that they can attribute to the addition of Firehawk, it makes the ROI on faster future coaster investments much more attractive.

If not...well, Paramount had already shown that Nick improvements and waterpark expansions do well to bring in the people. (Dollar for dollar, it would be hard to beat the ROI of waterpark improvements...)

^ I hope your theory is not true. It would not be a true example of how many will enter the gates of KI if a brand new ride were to be built.

FH is a good ride, but still a ride that many people have been on. I, for one, have not made a trip to KI this year only because I have already been on FH in the past.

I have made my plans to get to CP before KI only because Maverick is the new kid on the block, whereas FH has a new home, but is still essentially the same ride.

^ I hope your theory is not true. It would not be a true example of how many will enter the gates of KI if a brand new ride were to be built.

FH is a good ride, but still a ride that many people have been on. I, for one, have not made a trip to KI this year only because I have already been on FH in the past.

I have made my plans to get to CP before KI only because Maverick is the new kid on the block, whereas FH has a new home, but is still essentially the same ride.

While that's true for enthusiasts, not necessarily the GP. I would imagine that if you conducted a poll in Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, etc., most people would not realize that Firehawk wasn't a "brand new ride." All the average park goer knows is what they see in the commercials—"Kings Island has a new rollercoaster!"

Personally, I'm kind of in the same boat as you are...I'm not rushing the gate to get to Firehawk, mostly because I've already ridden it (multiple times) in its previous life.

But, all of us (on this board and others) think about these things a lot differently. We discuss the most minute details of every aspect of the park, its rides, and its business. Most of the people who'll visit KI this year couldn't care less about that kind of stuff :D

If I haven't been to GL back in 2001, and not such a coaster geek, I probably would have no idea that Firehawk is X-Flight from GL. It's just nice that CF decided to move this major coaster to KI in just a few short month's.

It is possible that Paramount/CBS could have been planning a major coaster for 2008, and CF could go through with it?

It is possible that Paramount/CBS could have been planning a major coaster for 2008, and CF could go through with it?

I doubt it.

Since it seems that Paramount had nothing in store for '07, I would be willing to bet that '08 was not even in their plans.

I seem to remember that after the purchase last July there was mention that CF would continue the plans that Paramount had. Obvoiusly for KI, that was not much.

I heard some sort of figure like, they saved $700,000 over buying new. Don't quote me on that. Relocating rides isn't cheap... not at all.

I think the big advantage is not necesarily saving money but saving time, CF just took control of the park and was able to add a ride that summer, if they developed a new coaster it wouldve taken around 3 years.

No, when Cedar Fair bought the parks they did not say they would continue with the plans that Paramount/CBS had for the parks in 2007. What they said is that they will maintain the levels of capital improvements at the Paramount Parks. In other words, Cedar Fair spent as much money on capital projects in the Paramount Parks this year as what CBS had originally planned to spend.

Furthermore, I doubt KI would have seen a new coaster under CBS in 2008. In fact, it was widely reported that one of Kings Island`s rides might be departing and venturing to another Paramount Park. Ironically, this same ride is now one of the two anchors for the X-Base area of the park.

I wonder what they were smoking when they decided to move the 2 FoF coasters to other Paramount Parks. FoF at KI is one of the most popular coasters in the park, more then ever now with Firehawk being next door. But even before that, it was still very popular.