Son of Beast

Does anyone know or an estimate on when they will open Son of Beast? I'm going to the park June 28th, and I'd like to ride it because it's my favorite ride at the park. I know that they have taken out the loop and have completed the newly built S-turn, but other than that I really don't know much. Anyone know anything about it?

I rode SOB the year it opened and loved the idea of a wooden coaster with a loop, more so than the actual coaster itself. I thought it thew us around a lot, but it was still fun. Don't hold a candle to Beast though. All and all, I find it sad that they couldn't work out the kinks enough to keep the loop. :( What a shame. Just wondering though, I know it held a world record for having the loop, did it have any other records?

Actually, if you do the math, its going to lose speed just because of the new trains. Since weight is a factor on total speed in a downhill fall, im predicting it will lose close to 5 MPH just down the hill, if not more. Doesnt sound like much, but its enough to make a general feel change.

There are already trims at the top of the rosebowl. They are just so loud that you could hear them clearly in the station, so they turned em off.

Im just still so sad that there is no loop, and now if it won't be the fastest what will it have to it's name? The only reason I ever rode this was to experience a loop on a wooden coaster as Im sure a lot of people did. I really really hope this is a decesion CF did not take lightly and this was their last resort. Also contrary to all the rumors floating around I would love to see Millenium Flyer trains because then the ride could actually be fun and not painfull.

I doubt there is much if any chance that Great Coasters International would even THINK of selling their trains to go on that ride. So far, they haven't offered trains separately from their coasters, much less to install them on a coaster as problematic as Son of Beast has been. . .

In addition, GCI trains are quite heavy. The ones installed on Wildcat at Hersheypark were actually modified so they would not weigh more than the PTC's they replaced. Gerstlauer trains, by comparison, are known for their relatively light weight, which I suspect is more than a little part of the reason they appear to have found their way to Son of Beast....not to mention they were apparently purchased used and the original manufacturer would have far less say in whether or not they could be installed on another ride when they are no longer new. . .

Well, I`m sure that KI/Cedar Fair had to consult with Gerstlauer when they were modifying the trains for SoB. Especially since they had to adjust the trains to fit the track guage for Sonny. I`m sure they would have built new trains for KI, if the price was right. I don`t think they are as concerned over ride quality as what the fine folks at GCI are.

It will certainly be interesting to see when the Son of Beast trains show up on the track. It will be even more interesting to see when the ride opens this year, and how the ride runs compared to last year before the accident.