Why is the Vortex rated a 4?

rollergirl

AE should definatley NOT be a 5. i havent been there in 2007 yet but last year it was only a 3 and Vortex was a 4 which i think is a reasonable rating because it's so smooth and not scary enough to be a 5

On the contrary, I think Vortex should be a 5. AE should be a 2.. I don't understand why it's a 5.

AE a 2 I don't think so. It's a 5 for a reason, the ride has some pretty strong forces. Notice as well they raised the height requirement on AE to 48 inches this year as well. Maybe it shouldn't be a 5 but I could see it being a 4. Vortex should be a 5. IJST should not be a 5 but for whatever reason's it is. Could it be the strong forces in the helix?

IJ bashes you around alot, since the majority of the ride is trick track. Also, the real fire probabbly adds to the intensity, as does the pitch black tunnel that follows. I'd say a 4 or 5 would be fair for it.

As for the matter at hand, Vortex needs to be a 6! Its filled with constant direction changes, its rough (depending on where you sit), and filled with airtime. I dont see how it could possibly drop bellow 5, unless tunnels really do factor in that much. AE I could see as a 4, but it doesnt seem bad enough to be a 5...

Also, 7-2. Back seat is perfect for that first pop of air IMO, but I havent tried 5-1 in a while. I'll do that next time I head up there, which will probabbly be monday or thursday.

Alot of people think the whole 5 thing with all roller coasters is dumb, but it makes sense. 5 refers to the ride dishing out extreme and turbulent changes in speed and or direction, some of which cannot be anticipated. Even Adventure Express does this. I thought it was a fun little family ride, but my Grandma was holding on for dear life. So the intensity scale has nothing to do with how scary the ride is - it has to do with how bad it beats you up.

i think this whole ratings system is just going with the times. used to, people knew that the ride would be extreme, and made their own decisions, but we live in a new age. sadly. people try and sue amusement parks for pretty much anything and everything. i think the reason they made all the rollercoasters 5, is so if someone sues for neck/back injury, Cedar Fair will be able to go look here, it states plainly that this an extreme rolelrcoaster, and that you take the risk when riding the said rollercoaster. they should have an unnofficial system among the employees to tell them what people should and shouldnt ride the rides, like when people wonder if its safe or not, they should have dedicated people that know their stuff to help them out. like a hotline or something lol.

With all due respect, ride operators should NOT be communicating information about who should or should not ride based on forces of the ride. Talk about giving plaintiffs ammunition for lawsuits! Who is or isn't tall enough, can or cannot fit the restraints, fine...but never, EVER should a park be training ride operators to give out so-called safety information in direct contravention to the printed information distributed by the park.

From the KI website:

RIDE RATING SYSTEM DEFINITIONS

To better assist you in choosing attractions you may wish to experience, each of our rides has been rated according to the following system. Ratings are based on the intensity, speed, and directional changes of each individual ride.

Please be aware of the recommendations and requirements for each ride.

Category Description

{1} Low Thrill Rides: Rides that are generally calm and gentle in nature.

{2} Mild Thrill Rides: Rides that generally have low speeds with gentle motion braking. Rides have

smooth transitions with some changes in elevation and speed.

{3} Moderate Thrill Rides: Rides that generally have low to medium speeds and/or heights with moderate motion and braking. Riders may encounter unexpected changes in direction and/or speed during portions of the ride.

{4} High Thrill Rides: Rides that generally have medium to high speeds and/or heights with moderate to rapid braking. Riders may encounter unexpected changes in speed, direction and/or elevation.

{5} Aggressive Thrill Rides: Rides that generally have one or more of the following: high speeds and/or heights, aggressive and unexpected forces, and rapid directional or elevation change. Riders will encounter many unexpected rapid changes in speed, direction and/or elevation.

http://www2.cedarfair.com/kingsisland/docs...ility_guide.pdf

According to this, AE should be a {4}. But I would also think Vortex should be a {5}.

Perhaps it has something to do with being able to see all of Vortex vs. AE which is difficult to see from the midway.