GL TR 6/9//07

Buckeye-Beast

Well, we planned our first trip ever to GL, so at 7:00am we loaded the crew into the Family Truckster to head north 2 1/2 hours from Columbus.

An uneventful drive with my wife, kids and a neighbor from down the street.

Then we arrived around 9:30... "Sorry folks we're closed for two weeks to clean and repair America's favorite family fun park, Sorry!"

Not quite, the sign actually said "We are closed today for a private function as advertised."

I was on their website Thursday & Friday planning what rides I wanted to hit, and what entertainment, but not once did I think to check the calendar (Who would suspect a park that has attendance issues to close to the public the second Saturday of June?)

After a few expletives, and finally a couple of laughs at the turn of events, we grabbed a map at BP then headed to CP.

We arrived at CP 10:45, and had a great time. 2 rides on Maverick were the highlight, That ride is awesome!

Kings Island used to do something similar in past years. For several years in a row, they would be closed the first Saturday in June for a private company outing. But, I don`t think they did that last year (they certainly didn`t do it this year). Most of Kings Island`s private company outings (GE and P&G are two big ones), occur in September, after Labor day weekend.

As an aside, most weekends at Coney will feature companies having their picnics there, but they don`t rent out the park (the same thing often occurs at KI). There are some big days when Coney is swamped with people particularly 5/3 day, and Kroger day.

That is terrible, yet rather funny. At least you made the most of your trip by taking a detour to CP.

I can remember that for many years KI was close to the public the first Sunday in June.

My cousin graduated from high school (as matter of fact, it was the same year as the Secadas), and we were planning to hit KI on Sunday just to find out that they were closed on our way down Saturday morning. We ended up leaving the graduation party early and went to KI Saturday night.

Then we found out that if you could prove that you drove for more than 150 miles (I think that was the distance), they would let you in the park on Sunday.

Score one for PKI's customer service department!

Kings Island used to do something similar in past years. For several years in a row, they would be closed the first Saturday in June for a private company outing. But, I don`t think they did that last year (they certainly didn`t do it this year). Most of Kings Island`s private company outings (GE and P&G are two big ones), occur in September, after Labor day weekend.

As an aside, most weekends at Coney will feature companies having their picnics there, but they don`t rent out the park (the same thing often occurs at KI). There are some big days when Coney is swamped with people particularly 5/3 day, and Kroger day.

Don't forget Stricker's Grove is for renting out to parties and companies :P

Also a Sunday in October, Yes it is a great little park, I never miss a chance to go up there, great old time amusement park atmosphere. I think there going to have at least one new ride this year. I think it's the rainbow from Americana aka (super roundup at Coney Island) not my favorite ride but never the less always nice to see a new ride, but the best part about going there is getting a chance to ride the flying scooters since they were senslesly removed from Kings Island.