Storms

KIlover

This is from the CP website. I am going to assume (and we all know what that means) that the weather policy at KI is similar to CP. The KI site concerning weather was rather open ended, the CP site was much more detailed. I really don't see high wind being a major issue at KI the way it is at CP, but time will tell when it comes down to Firehawk. In my experiance at any park, if there is lightning in the area, everything gets shut down due to the possibility of a power outage.

Adverse Weather Conditions/Rain

Rides will close due to weather conditions, particularly rain, high winds and/or lightning. A specific answer as to which rides close or remain open is not possible because varying degrees of inclement weather cause different effects on different rides. Those rides affected the most are the roller coasters and the high rides. Cedar Point makes every effort to reopen the rides as quickly and safely as possible after the adverse weather conditions cease. Sorry, no rainchecks or refunds.

Generally, the following weather conditions will affect the listed rides and attractions:

High winds:

Demon Drop, Gemini, Giant Wheel, Magnum XL-200, Mantis, maXair, Mean Streak, Millennium Force, Power Tower, Raptor, Skyhawk, Sky Ride, Space Spiral, Top Thrill Dragster, Snoopy Bounce (in Camp Snoopy), RipCord (in Challenge Park) and Zoom Flume (in Soak City).

Light rain:

Demon Drop, Giant Wheel, Top Thrill Dragster, Wildcat, Woodstock Express, 4 x 4s (in Kiddy Kingdom) and Challenge Raceway (in Challenge Park).

Heavy rain:

Calypso, Corkscrew, Demon Drop, Disaster Transport, Gemini, Giant Wheel, Iron Dragon, Magnum XL-200, Mantis, Matterhorn, Mean Streak, Ocean Motion, Raptor, Sky Ride, Snake River Falls, Top Thrill Dragster, WildCat, Woodstock Express, Snoopy Bounce (in Camp Snoopy), Junior Gemini, 4 x 4s (in Kiddy Kingdom) and Challenge Raceway (in Challenge Park).

Lightning and Severe Thunderstorms will have varying affects on all rides and attractions.

Please remember, it is not possible to specifically state which rides will be closed at a specific time because the varying degrees of inclement weather cause different effects on different rides.

meh yeah, tha would suck. i hated disaster transport. it felt like a toboggan ride. so gay. anyways. im kinda sad they dont let your ride the coasters in the sprinkles anymore... if it looked bad id go towards The Beast and hope it would start when i was riding. somehow sprinkles shooting at your face feeling like hail hitting you makes the ride that much more exciting... maybe im just wierd, i like that erkiness of The Beast, and want to ride it in some adverso conditions more, like fog in the early morning, and at night!

meh yeah, tha would suck. i hated disaster transport. it felt like a toboggan ride. so gay. anyways. im kinda sad they dont let your ride the coasters in the sprinkles anymore... if it looked bad id go towards The Beast and hope it would start when i was riding. somehow sprinkles shooting at your face feeling like hail hitting you makes the ride that much more exciting... maybe im just wierd, i like that erkiness of The Beast, and want to ride it in some adverso conditions more, like fog in the early morning, and at night!

Hi guys, I am new here. I thought I would respond to this post. I have been to KI twice when storms moved through the area a couple of weeks ago. Only the big rides closed when lighting was near. I timed the lighting to be within about 5 miles before they shut the big rides down, but they waited a lot longer to reopen the rides after the stoms moved out of the area. All the smaller rides stayed open until the lighting was practically on top of KI.

As for the rain, ALL rides were open shortly after the storms moved through and it was still raining for awhile afterwards. This was after the MXL2000 accident btw. I was on Firehawk when it was lightly raining the 1st time and they didn't shut it down. I was on The Beast the 2nd time it was raining and it was raining much harder and it was not shut down. So I don't think that light to moderate rain is affecting ride closure at KI.

-Ronnie

I experienced that the best when i was riding Apollo's Chariot in the rain.

Well, then. Good! I hope it stays that way. A little rain never hurt anything but a skid brake, and those are now gone from Kings Island, anywho...

Yeah back in the old days you ran back to The Beast so you would get a fast ride.