SFKK: Girl Injured in Accident

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I just saw something interesting on Great America's (CA) website in the Drop Zone section...

Drop Zone Stunt Tower

Experience the rush of gravity as you descend 22 stories in less than four seconds on the DROP ZONE Stunt Tower, one of the tallest and most intense free-fall rides in the world. Hold on tight as your vehicle coasts down the 224-foot tower in complete safety.

and this from Carowinds...

DROP ZONE Stunt Tower

Strap into an open car and lift 160 feet into the air at a speed of 16 feet per second. Feel the tension build as you’re held for a few seconds, and then dropped all the way down on a 100-foot, 56 mph freefall—all in complete safety. Just 60 feet above the ground, the ride’s magnetic braking system saves you from gravity.

It would seem that each park is trying to communicate to the public that these particular drop rides are different than the ride at SFKK.

I'm not sure if this is the best way, but, I'm also not sure of another way of communicating it.

"Kaitlyn has had, on top of all this tragedy, a certain group of kids leaving messages on her phone making fun of her condition," her mother wrote today.

"This just shows how cruel people can really be, as if she isn't dealing with enough heavy thoughts, these kids decided to burden her with more."

This is very disturbing.

It would seem that each park is trying to communicate to the public that these particular drop rides are different than the ride at SFKK.

I'm not sure if this is the best way, but, I'm also not sure of another way of communicating it.

"Kaitlyn has had, on top of all this tragedy, a certain group of kids leaving messages on her phone making fun of her condition," her mother wrote today.

"This just shows how cruel people can really be, as if she isn't dealing with enough heavy thoughts, these kids decided to burden her with more."

This is very disturbing.

It is disturbing...not to mention really cruel. :angry:

• 3 months later...
Guest kwindshawne

I am going to be sick.....

Only thing I can figure is maybe the main operator left her area and could not reach it because she was too far away. Also, have you ever thought about this? A cop goes through tons of training and practice in firing weapons. It is a proven fact that when adrenaline starts going in a real situation, even the sharpest shooter can miss. I am thinking that also played a part.

I am not a ride op...how is training at KI? I really want to know what is involved.

This just keeps making me even more, sick, to read about. A couple of feet away from the E-stop?!? Are you serious? That is ARM length! How did she get so far from it.

And, what really gets me, is what did the other ride associate on the ride at the time hear? Did he/she not hear the snap? Its just an odd story as these depositions come about. The activities described should NEVER occur. They arent even worst case scenarios, they just should not happen. Its kind of like basic Military decision making, you don't think, you act according to protocol. In this case that would constitute probably hitting the E-stop for such an awkward sound, immediately. And of course positioning yourself close enough to the panel for all scenarios.

Note: No disrespect meant for anyone here currently in the military. I do recognize that certain situations when in the military demand a more subjective approach!

Thing is would an e-stop matter? I'm no expert but im pretty sure the rides failsafe is the magnetic breaks. If the cable would of snapped the ride would have just fallen down since there was no cable holding it up. I know a e-stop would of prevented it from falling after it had reached the top but if it was in mid climb it would just of fallen unless the catch car had another set of cables.

Once again idle speculation.

Hitting the e-stop after the cable breaks is not going to keep it from chopping the girls feet off.

But the cable broke as the car was traveling to the top that is when it wrapped around her feet.

And the damage was not done until the car came back down and the cable tightened.

I would hope that the E-Stop would have stopped the car before it reached the top (or when the operator heard the snap), so there was no way it could come back down without a manual function being engaged.

Hmm. She claims that Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom never had them push the "red button" as part of their training. This statement is worded a little awkwardly, and I am assuming it means that they were informed of the purpose of the e-Stop button, just that they never were given a chance to test it, as part of their training. I would certainly hope that most people, especially ride operators, would know about e-Stops.

Secondly, regardless of whether or not Six Flags instructed them to look for mechanical issues with the rides, I`m sure the operators who run the ride day in and day out would be able to tell to a certain extent when the ride is working normally, and when there is something malfunctioning with the ride. I know from working at Coney, that sometimes when there is something wrong with a ride, it may not sound quite right. I always call a manager when this happens, and either they come over and investigate and call maintenance over, or (since I`ve been working there so long) they call maintenance right away.

That was definitely an interesting article to read. It will be interesting to see what the cable tests turn up.

Yes it's the same at KI. But she was only on the ride for 3 weeks, not really a lot of time in my book to learn how the ride should sound etc... Also sounds like they only had 2 operators at the ride, who knows how long the other one worked at the ride. I just don't understand still why she was so far away from the e-stop button? Maybe she freaked out when she heard the snap and didn't know what to do?