SFKK: Girl Injured in Accident

If she was not trained on how to use the E-Stop or the recovery procedure once an E-Stop has occured; then she was not properly trained and should have not been operating a ride.

It is possible that the way everything happened there was not enough time to hit the button, but it is going to be difficult for SF to defend themselves if she was not properly trained to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^I wouldn't say it is selfish, Tggr. I have a step son and I would be devestated if something like this happened to him. Although, he's not big enough to ride yet. Still, you can't help but think of what if something like this happened to someone in your family.

• 4 weeks later...
I think Feb 1st was the date they agreed upon for its removal. This is probably just the visible side of the work...

Yes Feb 1st was the original date but the fair grounds asked them to delay.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/802010443

When I went out for lunch there was no new progress the cranes looked like they were in the same position.

Girl's Feet Cut Off At Six Flags

POSTED: 5:53 pm EDT June 21, 2007

UPDATED: 6:05 pm EDT June 21, 2007

Email This Story | Print This Story

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Police confirmed that a girl's feet have been cut off at Six Flags' Kentucky Kingdom.

Officials said they got the call around 5 p.m. Thursday and both her feet were detached at the ankle.

According to MetroSafe dispatch supervisors, the girl was riding the Superman Tower of Power, which is 177 feet tall and drops riders at 54 miles per hour. According to Kentucky Kingdom, the girl was injured when the ride malfunctioned.

NewsChannel 32 and WLKY.com will have more details as they're available.

Strange story: I was staying at the Amerisuite Hotel getting ready to take my family to KI for the first time. I've been there alot back in the day, but it was their first time. My boys (19 & 17) aren't very big amusement park fans, and my 19 & 10 year old daughters have only been to local fairs. All were afraid to ride coasters or any big rides. All they ever heard me brag about is KI. I wanted to show them a part of what I enjoyed growing up. We were all getting ready at the hotel to leave and the story about the girl at SFKK came on the news, and yes it was Friday, June 21st. You talk about more fear in kids. Still the only rides I could get them on was Fairly Odd Parents, Italian Job, and Tomb raider. Thats the biggest they would go. The fav being the Italian Job. They all enjoyed themselves, and said it was awesome, like a minature Disney Land. We are going back in 2008. ;)

Courier-Journal: 11/2 inches removed from Kaitlyn Lasitter's left leg

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...396/1008/NEWS01

Great article. That story is so sad. I noticed in the article they say that the current ride inspection program doesn't have enough inspectors. They need to get more. Every ride at every amusement park can be dangerous in some way if something malfunctions. To be cautious to the patrons, to make sure these rides are inspected carefully and thoroughly is a must. They need to get however many inspectors to make sure these rides are safe!

I was at the park the day this happened. I was with two friends. When we entered the park that morning, the tower was running. One of my friends suggested we ride it but my other friend and I just had a bad feeling about it. It was very weird. Normally, neither of us are weary of such rides, but something kept us off of it that day. We found Kentucky Kingdom itself pretty boring and ended up spending most of the day at the waterpark. We had noticed that the ride had stopped running. Then, while we were in line for the watercoaster I saw two very low flying helicopters come over the park (I'm assuming this was to rush her to the hospital)...??? I wouldn't think news would have received word this quickly. We didn't see much else until we left the park later that night. We passed the tower on the way out. Everything was blocked off and security was guarding the entrance to the ride. It wasn't until we were on our way home that we heard of the accident. Our friends called to make sure we were ok after seeing the breaking news story. VERY SCARY. I feel so bad for that girl. I really hope she has the best recovery possible. Needless to say, Drop Tower rides are nothing I want to get on any time soon.

First of all, Superman: Tower of Power was a prototype, which is part of the reason it is being removed. Second, following the S:TOP incident, INTAMIN drop rides were closed for inspection at all major parks...and some were not re-opened for quite some time thereafter, including those at Carowinds and Kings Island.

Safety is the first priority throughout the industry. All the chains have had incidents. People are not perfect, though a perfectly safe experience is the goal throughout the industry...from Disney to the local, family run park.

That is such a sad story. Has SFKK ever had any other major and/or minor injuries from rides in the past?

Yes they had a ride called the star chaser that injured several people when two cars collided. That ride was removed and relocated...has anyone heard if STOP is being scraped/sold/used for parts?

http://www.coaster-net.com/parkgallery.php...splay&id=46