SFKK: Girl Injured in Accident

^Considering that Lindsay Wagner is closer in age to me than Michelle Ryan, I will have to disagree with you. Also I thought that Jim Carrey was going to make a Six Million Dollar Man movie in like 2005 or 2006? They could be waiting until they can use real prosthetics with bionics, in that case you should refer back to my references.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is can the Intamin Giant Drop rides be e-stopped which would have prevented the car from dropping? If the cable really broke when the car was 15 feet off the ground there would have been aprox 20 seconds until the gondola reached the top of the tower and dropped. Plenty of time for an attentive ride op to e-stop. According to this witness it wasn't the cable breaking that caused the injury but her feet getting tangled in the cable on the way down.

Yes, I used to operate Drop Zone at Carowinds. Drop Zone can be e-stopped at anytime. This cuts the power to the ride, and locks the brakes. So, if you hit the e-stop after the cars are released, before the brakes, the cars will stop roughly 10 to 30 feet from the ground.

^e-stop on that model is friction breaks and loss of power to cable lift, so yes it can stop in the middle of the tower. Also there are two cables and they were not that easy to see, so if one snapped I would not be surprised if a ride opp did not see it. Also, IF the cable came from one of the other cars, it would only add to the confusion for a ride opp.

note: any thing I say about this is strictly speculation and can not be used as fact.

^Considering that Lindsay Wagner is closer in age to me than Michelle Ryan, I will have to disagree with you. Also I thought that Jim Carrey was going to make a Six Million Dollar Man movie in like 2005 or 2006? They could be waiting until they can use real prosthetics with bionics, in that case you should refer back to my references.

But as much as I love the original Bionic Woman and Six Million Dollar Man, this new one look to be much more realistic and more dramatic.

^Dramatic yes, but I don't want realism in science fiction. That would make it a reality show not a science fiction show. I guess I am just too old and set in my ways, just give me an episode of star trek on Beta and a bowl of pop corn and I am set until it's time to go to bed at 4:30.

I don't see how you guys can say she is doing better she has still probaly lost most of the use in the one foot and the other foot is gone so chances are unless some amazing medical break through happens the young girl will never be able to walk again. You should be able to go to a park and not have to think about this trip could change my life.

It comes down to is the glass half full, or half empty?

As terrible as this story is, what is done is done. There is no going back. There will come a time when this girl will be able to live a rather normal life for a person who has lost both of their feet. It will be a long time, and a difficult battle, but she does have the opportunity to get there with todays medical technologies and advancments.

There was recently a great feel-good story on HBO's Real Sports about a young man that lost a leg, but now can run, and win, 100 meter races.

http://www.hbo.com/realsports/stories/2007...ode.122.s3.html

What this young girl needs right now is a ton of support from family members as well as the medical community.

I just truely hope that she never hears the words: "Well that would be great to do, but we just don't have the money."

Yes, I used to operate Drop Zone at Carowinds. Drop Zone can be e-stopped at anytime. This cuts the power to the ride, and locks the brakes. So, if you hit the e-stop after the cars are released, before the brakes, the cars will stop roughly 10 to 30 feet from the ground.

Wow what a pleasure to speak to you since you actually have first hand knowledge of the ride. So if the ride op e-stopped at any point before the cars release at the top what would happen? I'm assuming the cars stop rising if not at the top or if at the top they don't release. I do have a question you say the brakes lock when you estop. Which brakes are you talking about because I always thought the brakes on the cars had no moving parts. That is why the cars rise slowly and then suddenly speed up after they exit the part of the ride with the brakes.

Girl who lost feet now faces more surgery:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...1/70727029/1008

Can this get much worse? Heartbreaking.... :(

Oh man......

The parents indeed are playing it up for the media.

That is heartbreaking!

I'm not sure they are "playing" anything "up for the media."

For this little girl, this IS reality.

Her life was forever changed by what was supposed to have been a simple, happy day in an amusement park. Her life, pre- the accident, is never coming back.

Not ever.

Guest kwindshawne
Girl who lost feet now faces more surgery:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...1/70727029/1008

Can this get much worse? Heartbreaking.... :(

Oh man......

The parents indeed are playing it up for the media.

That is heartbreaking!

I'm not sure they are "playing" anything "up for the media."

For this little girl, this IS reality.

Her life was forever changed by what was supposed to have been a simple, happy day in an amusement park. Her life, pre- the accident, is never coming back.

Not ever.

I agree. I'm sorry Woofer, but hardened insurance industry attitudes like yours are the reason I am

leaving the medical field.

I think that ya'll have been watching too many baseball interviews on ESPN or had just watched Bull Durham. That is a crafted release if I've ever read one.

No, I'm not saying that the family has not gone through trauma, but most people do not speak in the terms these people are quoted in.

“It is hard as parents to see our child lying in a hospital bed without her bright smile we all love, due to so much physical and emotional pain. The pain our daughter is going through is unimaginable for us to understand,” the statement read.

“The reality of all this is finally setting in,” her parents said in the statement. “We know in our hearts that Kaitlyn is a strong girl and will ultimately prevail through this horrible time in her life but at this moment it will be a very long recovery.”

Come on Interp, you know that this was completely crafted by an attorney that knows nothing about anyone's real feelings or emotions but certainly knows exactly about commission of 33.3%.

Regardless of whether or not an attorney wrote or advised on any part of that, I bet anything the parents and the little girl would much rather be in the position of not having to deal with this awful reality, or with attorneys or amusement park attorneys.

And I am not even sure it is possible to overplay this story. It is what it is.

One minute there's a no doubt happy little girl enjoying a park, then something truly tragic and unexpected happens, then the ambulances and doctors and nurses and yes, attorneys, try to make right something that is very, very not right. Not right at all.

And NO amount of money, with or without a 40 percent fee--or as you call it--commission (and I hear that is the going rate if a trial is had), is going to make it really right.

Regardless of whether or not an attorney wrote or advised on any part of that, I bet anything the parents and the little girl would much rather be in the position of not having to deal with this awful reality, or with attorneys or amusement park attorneys.

And I am not even sure it is possible to overplay this story. It is what it is.

One minute there's a no doubt happy little girl enjoying a park, then something truly tragic and unexpected happens, then the ambulances and doctors and nurses and yes, attorneys, try to make right something that is very, very not right. Not right at all.

And NO amount of money, with or without a 40 percent fee--or as you call it--commission (and I hear that is the going rate if a trial is had), is going to make it really right.

You are right. My error in that the commission goes up to 40% once a claim reaches litigation.

And I'm happy that you do recognize that this statement is crafted by the attorney and not an independent crafting of the family.

Most certainly, and rightly so, I'm certain that the family (or at least any good family) is more concerned with assisting the child in her recovery than in making statements to the media.

I'm sorry, but this is all theatrics with this story.

It's unfortunate.

I know nothing of the parents' background, and did not say whether or not I thought an attorney had a hand in drafting that....in fact I specifically said "regardless of whether or not an attorney wrote or advised ..."

For all I know, the father is a prize winning novelist and the mother writes for a newspaper. I doubt it...but it could be.

In any event, this terrible tragedy cannot be made right by mere payment of monies. On that, I think we ALL can agree.

I know nothing of the parents' background, and did not say whether or not I thought an attorney had a hand in drafting that....in fact I specifically said "regardless of whether or not an attorney wrote or advised ..."

For all I know, the father is a prize winning novelist and the mother writes for a newspaper. I doubt it...but it could be.

In any event, this terrible tragedy cannot be made right by mere payment of monies. On that, I think we ALL can agree.

In this loss, my client was shaken violently forward and backwards. By the negligence of your insured, my client experienced grave emotional and physical trauma, for which mere payment of monies are simply the minimum that can be offered.

If the father is a novelist and wrote the statement he certainly is a writer of Harlequin Romance Novels.

In this loss, my client was shaken violently forward and backwards. By the negligence of your insured, my client experienced grave emotional and physical trauma, for which mere payment of monies are simply the minimum that can be offered.

If the father is a novelist and wrote the statement he certainly is a writer of Harlequin Romance Novels.

...a statement that has nothing at all to do with this tragic case.

...The Interpreter, off to enjoy the bright sunshine a nice Sunday...

...a statement that has nothing at all to do with this tragic case.

...The Interpreter, off to enjoy the bright sunshine a nice Sunday...

Yup, not often we disagree Interp.

But I feel that the article and released statement have little or nothing to do with what the child may be experiencing and everything to do with the attorney crafting a case and public sentiment.

It's unfortunate that we've reached a point in our society that this type of thing happens this way.

I hear my motorcycle calling. <G>

Does it really matter if the press release was drawn up by an attorny or not?

As a parent, I really cannot relate to what her parents are going through, but there is nothing in that statement that I could not say I would have different feelings for than what is written.

If the parent would have made the statement, there is a very good chance emotions would have taken over and one of the parents could say something, damaging the case and just make it a more difficult time than what they are already going through.

Does it really matter if the press release was drawn up by an attorny or not?

As a parent, I really cannot relate to what her parents are going through, but there is nothing in that statement that I could not say I would have different feelings for than what is written.

If the parent would have made the statement, there is a very good chance emotions would have taken over and one of the parents could say something, damaging the case and just make it a more difficult time than what they are already going through.

And I'm betting that you would not really be concerned with writing press releases now would you?

I'm betting that concentration would be on being with your child and assisting them through this right?

Of course the child comes first.

IMO the priority includes establishing her well-being years from now. Hopefully the lawyer her parents have hired will keep Kaitlyn's bests interests in mind. If so he/she will be well deserving of whatever commission he/she stands to make.

Wanted to pass along a taste of what is going on here in Louisville in support of Kaitlyn and her family.

Next Monday, 100% of the proceeds from a local establishment "O’Shae’s" will be donated to the the family of Katie Lasitter. This is being done to help establish a fund for the family as they are struggling to survive. The family is facing realities such as forclosure, inability to pay general utility bills etc.

That's the reality of all of this and it's so terribly sad. The decision to ride an amusement attraction has cost her family their abilty to even basically survive. Apparently the father is nearly devistated emotionally by all of this... there's been a lot of "Why not me?" expressed by him to friends.

It breaks my heart. I hope the lawyer is a barracuda.

Shaggy