Closing the ride

marcia

Dear friends

I am looking foward to riding Drop Zone next month, but after what happened, I'm not so sure if I'm

going to ride it , until they make sure it is safe again. My prayers go to the family of the girl who

lost her feet get well soon.

Take care God Bless

Marcia :rolleyes:

Don't you think at this point KI should close down and you shouldn't ride the Eiffel Tower, Slingshot, SkyCoaster, EuroBungee, Face/Off, Firehawk, Nick Universe, SOB (never re-open it), and heck, KI itself!! Just bulldoze it!! It's not safe and never will be!!

Also, don't ever get into those death machines they call cars!! And wear a padded suit, hard hat, and googles every day because you never know what else isn't safe either!! OMG!! Food has parasites and water is contaminated!!! Call Dr. Kavorkian NOW!!! (he's out of jail you know!?) :wacko:

Don't you think at this point KI should close down and you shouldn't ride the Eiffel Tower, Slingshot, SkyCoaster, EuroBungee, Face/Off, Firehawk, Nick Universe, SOB (never re-open it), and heck, KI itself!! Just bulldoze it!! It's not safe and never will be!!

Also, don't ever get into those death machines they call cars!! And wear a padded suit, hard hat, and googles every day because you never know what else isn't safe either!! OMG!! Food has parasites and water is contaminated!!! Call Dr. Kavorkian NOW!!! (he's out of jail you know!?) :wacko:

^

:lol: I love it! I think it's rediculous how many people over react to so many things. This is a terrible and heart breaking thing and I think KI did the right thing, but sometimes you just gotta wonder about some people. No offence, but most of them do seem to be women :D

Can you see people on the ride from that webcam shot?

I can't see enough detail to see riders, but I would guess from the news articles I've read that they are running multiple test runs and inspecting drop zone all day long. There is enough news out there on this tragic accident and subsequent shut down of many rides, that I would expect news sources to report when the first type of drop ride is back up and running. Maybe I am wrong though!

Can you see people on the ride from that webcam shot?

I can't see enough detail to see riders, but I would guess from the news articles I've read that they are running multiple test runs and inspecting drop zone all day long. There is enough news out there on this tragic accident and subsequent shut down of many rides, that I would expect news sources to report when the first type of drop ride is back up and running. Maybe I am wrong though!

I can't see people but it is running

I'm not completely understanding why it is even being inspected because they are not even remotely similar. But whatever as long as it does not get destroyed, which will probably never happen.

My sympathies also go out to the girl and her family. I hope everything works out ok.

I actually just rode Drop Zone yesterday morning for the first time this season.

I apologize if this is graphic, but I honestly cannot think of how an accident involving my feet or ankles could have occurred on DZ. My fear is always the restraints suddenly malfunctioning or the entire unit dropping at an uncontrollably fast speed and not lifting up.

They held the ride at the top for what seemed like forever yesterday and the anticipation was so scary.... :o

I don't think the Drop Zones at KI or KD are the same model/version as the one that was involved in the accident at SFK. Both of those have the cables overhead attached to the catch car. The seat ring does not have any cable attachments on it at all. The cables are wound up on drums at the top of the tower when lifting the seat ring. There is no cable below the riders

Don't the older Intamin Drop Towers have separate seating sections whose seats are in a straight line? Each section is 4 or 6 seats across? I'm wondering if the cable is on a loop on those models and the car attaches to the cable and lifted up. I could see how the cable could catch on the lower portion of a persons body if it snapped since the cable is above and below the riders. Don't you sit closer to the tower on those models as well? The seats on the KI and KD versions are 10-15 feet from the tower itself.

I don't know about the Intamin drops at CanWon or CW.

To my knowledge, the only wire ropes on Superman: Tower of Power at Kentucky Kingdom are the hoisting ropes on the catchwagon. There are no wire ropes below the seats...

I think we have to remember DZ didnt malfunction It was a freak accident and I hope the girl has a full rewcoery and I feel for her. I still will ride everything I am looking forward to SOB and cant wait.

Well, SOMETHING happened on Superman: Tower of Power fka Hellevator, and until it is KNOWN the same thing cannot reasonably be expected to happen on Drop Zone, the ride will NOT reopen. That's the way it is.

No park wants any patron to be injured, not to mention as severely as this girl was. And to expect a full recovery for a girl whose feet were severed from her legs is probably expecting far too much, sad to say.