SOB TESTING

specialk141

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also there yesterday (6/21/07) and the trains were indeed running. As I was walking through Action Zone around 2:00 PM, the train was climbing the lift hill with the water dummies in it. The cars looked nice on the track, but I can't wait to ride the Son of Beast again.

DARN IT! I wanted to start this thread. :( I was also there yesterday (6/21/07) and was waiting for my flight on Xtreme Skyflier and noticed the all to familiar sound of the SOB lift....I turned around and saw the gorgeous sight of a red train climbing the hill loaded with dummys! I also walked part of the way down the Top Gun exit and saw a bunch of people dressed up all fancy in ties and such. I'm assuming they were KI bigwigs. They tested the ride many times just whil I was waiting for XS and they continued to test the rest of the day, at least until 6 which was when I left. I'm so glad to see some form of life on the ride and am pumped to ride it again when I go back later this summer!

I am wondering if they are going to use the "sensor dummy" to measure the forces given during the ride.

I'm sure that they will. Not just from the standpoint of having to in order to have the ride be re-certified (I'm sure there are policies in place for rides that have considerable changes made), but also to see what kinds of forces are being exerted on the new trains.

I am going to the park monday [[for sure]] and I will take my camera (or MDA.. whatever works) and try to get some pictures / footage. No promises tho, because I will be going in a group, which one person has NEVER been to Ki! So we have to cram it all in. Its do-able. :)

I *heard* (so take it for what it is worth) that CP had to do 5000 cycles on each train for it to pass Ohio inspection. I am going to assume that since it is a brand new ride, that justifies the amount of cycles.

That seems like a EXTREMELY high number.

But when you are dealing with people's lives, perhaps it is not high at all.

I *heard* (so take it for what it is worth) that CP had to do 5000 cycles on each train for it to pass Ohio inspection. I am going to assume that since it is a brand new ride, that justifies the amount of cycles.

That seems a bit extreme. Maybe 500 runs, but 5000?

Anyone know how long it would take to get 5,000 test runs?

Unless my quick math is wrong, it takes about 4-5 mins/cycle per train, so we're talking about several HUNDREDS of HOURS of testing, which would take at least a month or two to complete. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) That number just doesn't seem realistic to me.

Since there are 168 hours in a week...it would NOT take a month or two to do hundreds of hours of testing. Also, do not forget there are two trains, and once cycling for testing begins, they may or may not use two trains...(Son of Beast opened with a single train and ran with only one for some time).

I am not stating anything as to the number of cycles the state is going to require....as I simply don't know at this time.

If they are as motivated to get this ride reopened as they seem to be, night testing would not at all surprise me. I know it is the norm for many other parks.

Ya, hopefully they do test all day.

I really want to re-ride it, and I'm leaving for the rest of summer July 3rd. So, my hopes are down =[

For pre-existing rides at the beginning, I THINK it's 1000 hours or cycles. However, it would probably be more for a new ride.

1,000 seems more reasonable for a pre-existing ride,

but for this ride it will be more probally

I'm hoping they test it all night also so they can open it as soon as possible. I want to ride it so bad. Hopefully in a month it will be open. I would hate to see another season without Son of Beast. 5,000 cycles sounds like alot per train. Approximately 1- 2 months as stated before.