New and improved SOB.

DropZone99

Also look what they did when The Beast went from 4 row cars to 3 row cars. Turned gates into trash can slots and safety ares for operators and put arrows on the ground.

D-Rider makes a great point you guys. In case you dont know, beast did have 4 row cars but soon after was changed to 3. The 4 row cars basically was tearing the track apart in simple terms.

Beast_Press_Open_8.jpg

What do you mean by, taring up the track?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to take sides, but, if they are allowing employees to ride SOB, then it is a pretty safe bet the general public will be riding before too long.

And, I think instead of making a wish list of what you wanted done to SOB, you should just be happpy that they are attempting to re-open it at all.

Well, four bench trains require that the turns be longer in order for them to negotiate the turns and changes in the track. A longer car (such as the four bench ones) required more distance, otherwise it would put stress on the track. Which is the probably why they converted the trains to three bench cars. I don`t even think that PTC makes three bench cars anymore. I think they stick with two bench cars. The Millenium Flyers from GCI are even shorter at one row per car, to allow those trains to better negotiate the crazy layouts that GCI delivers.

Alright. Guess they still make some three bench trains. Also, the term buzz bar is used a lot to mean different things. Generally, a buzz bar is a train that uses electricity to unlock or lock the restraints. All of the PTCs at Kings Island operate this way, with the contacts on the sides of the trains, above the track. The single position lapbars (like on the Tornado at Stricker`s) are often referred to as buzz bars as well, as opposed to the newer individual ratcheting lap bars. Most new trains from PTC use mechanical systems to lock and unlock the bars. The trains at Holiday World are a perfect example of this. Several of the steel coasters at KI operate this way. Top Gun, Adventure Express, Vortex in paticular.

The testers seemed very professional-looking and expressionless on the ride. Even if the ride was painful or extremely enjoyable, I don't think they would show it. They rode it at least three times that I saw, and one time after they got off, a mechanic started walking the track (as if to take a look at a rough spot that they may have reported). They rode it at least twice within a short amount of time (<10 minutes maybe?), which would mean that the ride is at least bearable enough to ride it that often.

Can anyone confirm if there was anything on the news about it reopening? I'm just going to be glad to see it open agian really. I can't really sit here and say oh I wish they would add this or that to it. Lets just be happy when it opens up agian and they have everything approved by the state and OHSA to get the green light and its safe for everyone to enjoy :huh: .

Nope. Does KI make a date to open rides? If so, are they usually true to their word?

Well.. they stayed true to their word on Firehawk.. I know that was brand new and everything, but still.. Idk, only time will tell..

Firehawk was not brand new... it was just taken from another park... and it was in ohio, so it didnt have to worry about the ohio safety testers being on them about that ride. but who knows, i sure hope it opens soon...

Lol! I actually knew that... I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that it was brand new... I think maybe I meant to the park.

And, like I said in the other thread, I'm just RELAYING what I heard from an employee. And I don't really care one way or another when/if it opens.

If you'll look closely, I put QUOTES around NEWS, meaning take it at face value, believe what you wish. RUMOR.

deb

Regardless of whether or not you started the rumor, you still posted what you had heard. And what you heard can be considered a rumor. I`m just simply reiterating the fact that those people that are in the know at the park are not about to be broadcasting it for all to hear at the park. The ones that are claiming they know something, likely don`t have the foggiest idea of what is going on.

And Son of Beast will only open when KI, Cedar Fair and The State of Ohio are happy with it, and it's 110 % Safe. That could be tomorrow, next month, or next year. I think they have made great progress but they simply are not really to open it yet. Only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what is going on. I heard they were having issues with the Red Train the other day though, Wednesday? Not sure if that's why it's closed down or not. Hopefully not for track problems just after a week of reopening, that is not good at all. Unless they are trying to further smooth the rose bowl. Hopefully they found no problems with the track again in the rose bowl.

i was there on tuesday the tenth, and the red train was having many issues. they kept closing it down to try and get it working, but to no avail until about 5 or so. they finally got it working, minus one row towards the back of one car. it had the security tape. other than that, i have no idea whats up with it. it has been down since that day so ive heard though, so i guess i lucked out...