Food and Drink Prices

Kman6

The food prices are ridiculously high at Kings Island... I can live with that... it's part of the game. I am however getting really tired of hearing excuses as to why their food is so low quality that it's barely eatable. Even places that I particularly liked, like Happy Days, dipped off to the point where I wasn't even tempted by midway through the season.

Being "that guy from KIC" I always felt as though it has been a responsibility of mine to support the park while I'm there. So I've always made it a responsibility of mine to play the games, eat the food, etc. while at the park in order to set an example. Unless there's a marked change, and quick, I'll be joining the growing number of people eating out of a cooler in the parking lot.

I have found that Stunt Crew Grill is not too bad, but it is not great either. Even Chick-fil-a is not all that good. The quality definately needs to improve by leaps and bounds, especially for the price. I wouldn't mind paying what they charge if the food quality was on par. I have to agree with Bodda about bringing the cooler. If the quality isn't quite a bit better this season, there will be a cooler full of food in my trunk.

She works hard for the money

So hard for it, honey

So you better treat her right

So hard for it, honey

I met her there in the corner stand

And wonders where she is

And it's strange to her

Some people seem to have everything

9 am on the hour hand

And she's waiting for the bell

And she's looking real pretty

She's waiting for her clientele

So hard for it, honey

So hard for it, honey

Twenty-eight years have come and gone

And she's seen a lot of tears

Of the ones who come in

They really seem to need her there

It's a sacrifice working day to day

For little money just tips for pay

But it's worth it all

To hear them say that they care

So hard for it, honey

Already knows, she's seen her bad times

Already knows, these are the good times

She'll never sell out, she never will

Not for a dollar bill

She works haaaaard

---- Donna Summer

Last year I bought dinner for my wife, 3-year old son, and me at Cick-A-Filet at Kings Island and it was around $30. For fried fast food that would've been no more than $11 at the mall. Outrageous!

I am very unhappy with the food and drink prices at Kings Island, especially since I was personally hit with the recession in January when I got laid off.

I hope that CF will realize with the high cost of gas and the recession, these high prices are not a good idea. We won't eat anywhere in the park anymore but Wings Diner because it's an all-you-can-eat buffet and my son is free.

If the prices keep the same, cooler sales and McDonald's in Mason should do well.

My family and I almost never eat at KI. Once in a while we will get an ice cream or take the kids to the candy store. Prices are completely out of control and the food is subpar.

The worst part is, I doubt that regerunner's views are unique. I am sure many families feel this way. While my kids are pretty much grown up, the way Cedar Fair views their "family market" is ridiculous. These days, if I still had younger kids, there are plenty of other places I can better spend the family dollar on activities, especially in the Cincinnati area. The prices at Kings Island haven't always been horrible. Even up to the mid-late 90's while the food quality declined prices were somewhat reasonable. CBS really raised the prices and Cedar Fair kept up with the tradition and from what I hear the price raising is back for 2008. Along with better prices there are also needs to be respectable service.

Maybe the staff here at KICentral should start photographing the grassy areas of the parking lot or the families dining out of the coolers in the backs of their van and call it the "Parking Lot Picnic Grove."

At one of the local gas stations in my town they have a deal for whats called a Polar Pop and you can get any size, yes i said ANY SIZE for i do believe it is 89 cents. Thats a 64 ounce beverage for 89 cents. You go to amusemnt parks and they expect you to pay 4-5$ for not near as big as that. But all this complaining is doing nothing its a dog eat dog world out there especialy in the amusement industry.

At Epcot, you can buy a small drink and get free refills all day, for as long as you keep the cup. ( the drink does not have to be small ) Epcot also provides samples of soda from all over the world.

At Busch Gardens you are allowed complimentary Beer for free in surprisingly large cups.

At Kings Island, you can stop by the local Gas Station or Kroger and cram the cooler if you desire to have gas money for your drive back home. :angry:

But in all seriousness, I remember Wings having pretty good food. Although I have honestly not ate at Wings in at least 4 years. Granted I have only visited K.I. about 3 times in the last 4 years. Not counting Winterfest. ( Which for the record, I always visited Ohio for Christmas, however in 95" I made an earlier trip than originally planned just for Winterfest. ) I certainly am glad that I decided to go now.

The Wings last year (and the last bit of the season before) really has no relationship to the Wings of before. Different food, different pricing, different concept.

I actually ate at Wings occasionally before the buffet. Lots and lots of really bad food at an atrocious price does not value make. Not in my book, any way. I carefully allow myself calories, and I am not wasting them (or my money) on what is, in my opinion, not even worthy of being slop for the local hogs.

This is my opinion and I think KI should consider it :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have been to KI since late 70's, now I am a 40 year old mom with 3 kids of my own and like to share all my experiences with them and add new ones. We are a major theme park family.

I am disabled but I walk the parks. Because it is too much on me to walk to the front, leave and walk back to where we are, last year, since I was extremely sore, and we had eaten there just 2 years prior at Chic Fila, we loved it and felt we would share a meal and then eat dinner out later. Well on that day last year, we all were famished, so I sent my husband to get food, and when he came back with half of what we ordered I asked him why he only got enough for 3 people and he told me due to how much it cost, he said we could of gone to Tumbleweed on what it cost for that meal. We got 1 order of nuggets in which my 9 yr old son and I shared, 4 sodas, 2 fries and 3 chicken sandwhiches, he still has not told me the price because he knows I will get made over it, but I asked him months down the road if it cost $40 and he said higher, he said if we went to Tumbleweed and I bought a Margarita and we all ate our norms, we would be slightly under. We normally spend $50-$75 at Tumbleweed and walk out stuffed and with left overs. Here, we had to end up leaving and going to Popeyes because we were still starving, so in reality, we spent basically $100 on lunch :o .

Now, what I do not get, I am from Southern Indiana so KI and Holiday World we frequent alot. How can HW give FREE Cokes ALL DAY LONG TO ALL GUESTS and still run a great park (water park is 10 times better than KI) and still have low food prices and still maintain and superbly clean park????? There is something going on that 1 can and 1 won't. HW is smaller, but do pull in major crowds.

We order a pizza at the water park before we go swimming, all 5 of us eat for less than $6, I want to say the pizza was $3, but I don't remember! That includes a total of 5 drinks and 5 refills at that time.

So this year when we go to KI I refuse to eat at the park anymore, if I have to drag myself out and back I will :( , I would rather spend that food money on another $20 1 day ticket, shoot, we can do KI for $100 per day (all 5 of us), so in my opinion that is cheaper and better. No more feeding the monster until they learn not to scalp me :wacko:

I really wish that CF would look to Busch on how to do food. The prices are as high, if not higher for their food, but the quality is fantastic. There are very few places Ive had better BBQ then BGE, the festhaus there has authentic (gasp) German food that is also great. Due to that, I would normally have a full meal, a lighter meal and a snack when Im at that park and not feel like I was being ripped off, as opposed to KI/CP where its a meal (La Rossa/TGI Fridays) and one snack (w/o a drink.) If the place had better quality I would defiantly spend more money.

The only time I thought I wasnt getting ripped off was at KI was at the Fear Feast Buffet, now that was in line with my expectations based on the price, decent quality food (that was always hot) and a good quantity/selection.

^As does KI, but its good ONLY in the picnic grove. Certain special events at the park have had the option to sell those drink wristbands to guests attending the event such as the formerly held ACE and CoasterBuzz events.

This is my opinion and I think KI should consider it :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have been to KI since late 70's, now I am a 40 year old mom with 3 kids of my own and like to share all my experiences with them and add new ones. We are a major theme park family.

I am disabled but I walk the parks. Because it is too much on me to walk to the front, leave and walk back to where we are, last year, since I was extremely sore, and we had eaten there just 2 years prior at Chic Fila, we loved it and felt we would share a meal and then eat dinner out later. Well on that day last year, we all were famished, so I sent my husband to get food, and when he came back with half of what we ordered I asked him why he only got enough for 3 people and he told me due to how much it cost, he said we could of gone to Tumbleweed on what it cost for that meal. We got 1 order of nuggets in which my 9 yr old son and I shared, 4 sodas, 2 fries and 3 chicken sandwhiches, he still has not told me the price because he knows I will get made over it, but I asked him months down the road if it cost $40 and he said higher, he said if we went to Tumbleweed and I bought a Margarita and we all ate our norms, we would be slightly under. We normally spend $50-$75 at Tumbleweed and walk out stuffed and with left overs. Here, we had to end up leaving and going to Popeyes because we were still starving, so in reality, we spent basically $100 on lunch :o .

Now, what I do not get, I am from Southern Indiana so KI and Holiday World we frequent alot. How can HW give FREE Cokes ALL DAY LONG TO ALL GUESTS and still run a great park (water park is 10 times better than KI) and still have low food prices and still maintain and superbly clean park????? There is something going on that 1 can and 1 won't. HW is smaller, but do pull in major crowds.

We order a pizza at the water park before we go swimming, all 5 of us eat for less than $6, I want to say the pizza was $3, but I don't remember! That includes a total of 5 drinks and 5 refills at that time.

So this year when we go to KI I refuse to eat at the park anymore, if I have to drag myself out and back I will :( , I would rather spend that food money on another $20 1 day ticket, shoot, we can do KI for $100 per day (all 5 of us), so in my opinion that is cheaper and better. No more feeding the monster until they learn not to scalp me :wacko:

Thank you for sharing your experience and welcome to KICentral! It's always nice to hear some of the "every day family" views as opposed to the "enthusiast" views (no offense to anyone, just saying our major audience here seems to be mainly enthusiasts and thrillseekers :) ). I agree with you, when it comes to providing and affordable and enjoyable family-friendly environment, HW steals the basketball from KI and shuts them out of the game. I love Kings Island, I love the rides, I love the experience, but there are certain aspects such as the food pricing and quality that are a huge disservice to the guests. At Disney, it is one thing to pay a lot for food, but their it usually has some good quality, is fast, and the service top notch. Not to mention, the selection. At Kings Island, the dining venues might change names, but the selection, poor quality, and poor service come with nearly each venue and it is a real turn off to the guests. It was bad under CBS, it got worse under Cedar Fair and continued to get worse under Cedar Fair. From what I hear, we will see even higher prices in 2008.

New in 2008: No new rides, but new shows, and our new higher food prices!

RollerNut, doesn't Carowinds open this weekend? You shall have to give us a report on the food pricing!

:( I would love to, but sadly I can't. RollerNut won't be returning to Carowinds until August 14th, 2011. Until then, Carowinds Zone has to have other people report back with information and pictures. Once I can return to Carowinds, I will bring back all the information I can for ya'll and Carowinds Zone will be getting a lot more updates. The song "Far Away" performed by "Nickelback" comes to my mind on this topic...

~Roller "Barred from heaven for no good reason" Nut

Yes, they give free Coke, in about a 12 or 16 ounce cup, it is I think the size of a childs Happy Meal cup or just a tad bit bigger, it is considered the small drink cup at most fast food places.

They are known for the free Coke and I think that is why they have so many families attend because moms/dads know the family can drink and eat at the park so they can plan on spending more money elsewhere, or going for more days, like us. :P

How can HW give FREE Cokes ALL DAY LONG TO ALL GUESTS

I don't think HW ever did give out free Cokes.

http://holidayworld.com/fusd.html

Cokes, no. Pepsi, yes. I may be wrong but Carowinds has an unlimited soft drinks wristband that picnicers can get for a price.

Coke/Pepsi, it is all the same. But I guess I should speak politically correct so I do not offend one or the other. I myself am a Coke lover, so I just call all brown soda (except rootbeer/cherry colas) Coke...lol

But yes, all is free and is much appreciated :)

Yes, they give free Coke, in about a 12 or 16 ounce cup, it is I think the size of a childs Happy Meal cup or just a tad bit bigger, it is considered the small drink cup at most fast food places.

They are known for the free Coke and I think that is why they have so many families attend because moms/dads know the family can drink and eat at the park so they can plan on spending more money elsewhere, or going for more days, like us. :P

No, they do NOT. Again, Holiday World has not served a Coke (note the capital letter) in years and years. They do have unlimited Pepsi...and Holiday World and Pepsi would appreciate you remembering that. One reason Pepsi and Holiday World do this is for advertising/marketing value. If you remember the competitor instead, the reason for doing it goes away.

Pepsi.

Pepsi.

Pepsi.

Not Coke.

Got it?

And it most definitely is NOT ALL THE SAME.

Pepsi....free with admission at Holiday World.

Coke...at least $3.29 and probably more at Kings Island.

All the same?

I think not.

No, they do NOT. Again, Holiday World has not served a Coke (note the capital letter) in years and years. They do have unlimited Pepsi...and Holiday World and Pepsi would appreciate you remembering that. One reason Pepsi and Holiday World do this is for advertising/marketing value. If you remember the competitor instead, the reason for doing it goes away.

Pepsi.

Pepsi.

Pepsi.

Not Coke.

Got it?

And it most definitely is NOT ALL THE SAME.

Pepsi....free with admission at Holiday World.

Coke...at least $3.29 and probably more at Kings Island.

All the same?

I think not.

Listen, you do not need to bite my head off, soda is soda, I don't care who makes it. No one is going to go to KI for free Coke over going to HW for free Pepsi! They are going to go where they save the money ESPECIALLY families with more than 1 child! If you NOTICE I did not capitalize Coke, as I said, I should of spoken politically correct and said SODA or COLA, but none the less it is not worth biting someones head off because someone spoke Coke instead of saying Pepsi!

Gesh!!!!!!!!

No one is biting your head off.

This is a discussion board. Expect that.

And it is not the same, no matter what YOU call it.

And people DO go to Holiday World for the unlimited Pepsi that is included with admission. If Holiday World thought they could make more money by charging for it, they would.

And Coke is a registered trademark for a cola flavored beverage produced under authority of The Coca-Cola Company of Atlanta, Georgia. Pepsi is NOT Coke. Coke with a small c is an illegal drug you probably do not want your kids having...free or not.

From the Carowinds season pass newsletter just received...mind you this is a SPECIAL price ONLY with a coupon:

Discount Offers for Season Passholders:

Country Kitchen -Bucket of Fried Chicken (8 pieces) and 4 regular soft drinks for $22.99!

So, you must be a season passholder AND have the coupon to have the high privilege of getting 8 pieces of Fried chicken and four regular soft drinks for $22.99. Heaven forfend what the regular price is....

You read it right. That is the SPECIAL deal for season passholders who go online, download the coupon, take it with them to the park, and present their pass, coupon and $22.99 plus tax at the park. I have no idea what the regular price will be. I would assume it is substantially more than that. I should add this time limited deal is good only March 21-April 6.

http://newsletter.cedarfair.com/_upload/ca...cken_200803.gif

Note that that $22.99 does not get you any sides...no mashed potatoes, no cole slaw, apparently not even a dried up roll or two.

I can only imagine, Carowinds has been bad with their food prices for as long as I can remember. Knowing Carowinds, the regular price is something like $28.99, maybe more. Last time I had a season pass, the discount was 10 park dollars for 9 US dollars, I believe that something like 10% isn't it. So applying the same numbers to the coupon, it would be $25.99. Thats sounds too low to be an good guess.

Guest kwindshawne

This whole topic reminds me of a day early last summer. It's hotter than hell, sun beating down and I'm standing in line for Firehawk. We're all drenched from the heat, several people leaning against the handrails, and these guys walk up and start shouting about the drinks they were selling. $3 odd dollars each. I look over at the lady at the line break-sitting under an umbrella with a cooler of water at her feet. I started thinking-you know, this is really ****ty to do to paying guests, not to mention the possibility of heat exhaustion and medical emergencies. I myself, couldn't take it and left the line-and I can tell you at the KI event, I was standing in line that day for Firehawk once again, and the same thing nearly happened-I saw spots, and was just hoping I didn't pass out. The food-horrible. I got a pretzel during haunt because of low blood sugar, and that thing was so hard, it would have shattered if I dropped it. All of this reminds me of the days of the bbq chicken in rivertown and it makes me think that maybe the better times are in the past......