Beast

welchce

As of now, I have rode The Beast 12 times this year. Each time I question the use of brakes but I let it go because of wear and tear issues of the trains traveling at high speeds (especially the one on the drop after the second hill). The one that kills me the most is the one at the end of the covered straight track because of how awesome it would be to go through the woods without the ride being adulterated with a brake. Recently I have started wondering instead of using a brake there why not redo the turn there and the ones after till the second lift hill to add more banking to reduce lateral forces on the passengers? This would help keep the speed and not be as painful on the body. Now I'm not necessarily suggesting that The Beast go this extreme but here's an example of some nice banking.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig2667.htm?picture=54

I mean the ride was built in 79 and KI has already started to redo some track (as well as The Racer). I'd rather redo The Beast a little than have it maimed.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beast has always been braked to an extent...how much has varied over the years.

And it has been retracked many, many times; as is the nature of large wooden coasters.

So do you think this is a good idea and/or KI will do this ever?

In a word, NO.

Hades was either the first to go perpendicular, or near the first. To me, that section is quite forceless....you are in the dark when you do it, and most have no clue they did.

I believe it was the first wooden to go perpendicular (at least from what I think I remember reading).

Wow Mt Olympus/Hades makes me want a wooden coaster with a barrel roll; I would imagine that would be a long piece of track. :lol: On a serious note though, I think how it is set up now is fine; any faster and you would feel out of control. I Love the ride as is, so no changes.

I think the banked drop after the second lift hill is flawless, and one of my favorite parts of the ride. I'd be sorely disappointed if it were altered to the point it didn't FEEL like The Beast.

deb

I think the banked drop after the second lift hill is flawless, and one of my favorite parts of the ride. I'd be sorely disappointed if it were altered to the point it didn't FEEL like The Beast.

deb

Yeah, I agree. But I was talking about possibly adding banking to the turns leading up to the second hill to allow for more speed.

The trims on The Beast are the most disappointing things in the park. I understand that safety is the #1 priority, but they've ruined it. From my point of view, they need either:

a) the trims just before the second drop, or

B) the trims on the first drop.

NOT BOTH! It's ridiculous to hit trims, go through a turn, hit more trims, go down a drop and back up, and then MORE TRIMS! That section used to be my favorite section of any coaster when the first two sets did not exist. It was fast paced, and you got some KILLER air time on the second drop. Now it's just embarrassing. Get rid of them.

The trims on The Beast are the most disappointing things in the park. I understand that safety is the #1 priority, but they've ruined it. From my point of view, they need either:

a) the trims just before the second drop, or

B) the trims on the first drop.

NOT BOTH! It's ridiculous to hit trims, go through a turn, hit more trims, go down a drop and back up, and then MORE TRIMS! That section used to be my favorite section of any coaster when the first two sets did not exist. It was fast paced, and you got some KILLER air time on the second drop. Now it's just embarrassing. Get rid of them.

totally agree with you no brakes or atleast less brakes is the way to make it faster the ones in the brake shelter are the worst they slow you down so much I think they should drop it down for a bunny hill there! :o

The breaks are there to make sure that the ride is going the same speeds, at the same location, all the time. Whether it be summer fall, night day, raining, or sunshine.

Also in the originaly The Beast planed for a block break in the break shed with a set of kicker wheels. Then when it came time to order the 4th train, the park decided that there wouldnt be an increase in capacity and that the distance from the first drop to the break shed was not long enough to justify another block. Food for thought, you could be stopping in the break shed.

The breaks have always been there, the only difference is when the ride had skid breaks the ride was slowing down gradually throughout the entire break shed where as now it happens all at once. The final speed is still the same. Also the magnetic breaks are not affected by rain the way the skid breaks were. Same with the first drop, ravine, and helix, all the speeds are the same, they just slow down more abruptly than gradually.

That section used to be my favorite section of any coaster when the first two sets did not exist. It was fast paced, and you got some KILLER air time on the second drop. Now it's just embarrassing. Get rid of them.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the ride has always had trim breaks in the locations they are now. There was never a beast without trim breaks.

Actually, before the ride`s brakes were redone, the brake shed was used as a block. That is why the trains would get stopped on lift 2, and not lift one. Back when they had skid brakes, they could only park two trains in the station.

Now, the train can`t leave lift 1 until the other train has cleared lift 2. This is why the train travels slowly (and sometimes stops) when going up lift 1. They can now also park all three trains in the station.

Still it is very difficult to send a train out quick enough that it gets to the top of lift 1 before the other leaves lift two. Normally trains are leaving the breakshed at about 25-27mph normally the train has to be going under 18ish for a train to get to the top of lift one before that train clears lift 2. Even then the lift is only set up for a second.

Now if the crew is booking it and doing an awesome job (which is definately possible), they can set up more trains but typically this^ is the case.

Now the only reason why a train will set up on lift two is if someone forgets to clear the safety breaks on the bridge.

• 1 month later...

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how long a ride The Beast really is? I have heard anything from 3 minutes 40 seconds to 4 minutes 50 seconds? I would think the time would vary depending upon how fast you are going up the first lift hill. I noticed on the first lift hill that usually you will start off at a slow pace and then speed up about half way up the lift. Sometimes, however, they let the train go up the entire lift hill full speed.

Guest kwindshawne
True. But would you like to see it happen?

I don't care for the brake there, but I don't want beast altered either. It is a terrific coaster, and I think they ought to leave it alone...why mess with something that works? And if I'm not mistaken, computers were not involved in the design of that. ( I was tired at the history films)

I may be stepping on someones toes here..but I don't think computers do as good of a job as good old fashioned hand done calculations-pen and paper. I think that is the issue with a lot of the coasters today..call me simple, but that is how I see it. ( and this comes from a future computer networking professional) I liked the idea of calculations being altered when specific landscape was found to be in the way..that is what my ancestors would have done-and that is why I believe beast turned out so well.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how long a ride The Beast really is? I have heard anything from 3 minutes 40 seconds to 4 minutes 50 seconds? I would think the time would vary depending upon how fast you are going up the first lift hill. I noticed on the first lift hill that usually you will start off at a slow pace and then speed up about half way up the lift. Sometimes, however, they let the train go up the entire lift hill full speed.

About 4:45 give or take. Depending on where the trains are in front of you depends on how fast the lift you're on will go. Lift one goes slow untill the train in front clears lift two then it speeds up untill it gets to the very top and drops you over the edge. Lift two starts fast because it has to accomidate for the speed of the train, then slows down untill the thrain ahead clears the safety brakes. Once that train clears the safety's lift 2 speeds back up untill it gets to the top and once again drops you over the hill.

Train speeds also vary throughout the day. Untill everything warms up, the speeds can be all over the place. I've seen the first empty train in the morning go through the break shed at 7mph. Talk about scary, wondering if we're gonna have to go push at the quick dip. Usually during startups they chill around 14mph. The first hour, with varying train loads you will see speeds between 16-24mph. Usually thorughout the day it stays at about 27mph with an average load. Speeds at the bottom of the first and second lifts are usually right around 52-54mph, these speeds are extremely consistant.

Obviously to answer your question: There is NO set time length. But usually the operators like to say "see ya back in 4:45" which is usually a pretty good guess.

450 if u count the extremely slow lift hills lol ;)