Beast

welchce

I used to completely agree with the "remove the brakes" stance. Only until I rode it with my dad did I realize how helpful they really are. Even if the trims in the brake shed were lightened a bit, the last turn to the second lift would be horendous(sp?). Even with the trims the way they are now, that turn can be brutal with a full train. I think the brakes are a vital part of The Beast giving an enjoyable ride. I know it can be boring, but I'd rather have a boring part than an entire ride of pain.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

There are trims on the first drop and there always have been...

2006:

IMG_4758.jpg

-Note the trim brakes in the bottom of the picture right in front of the train.

1979:

page_16.jpg

-Note the older style "skid" trim brakes on the first drop.

The Beast has always had trim brakes, just different types of technology throughout the years, it has always gone the same speed, now you are just stopped more abruptly.

Agreed. If they put trims of the first drop, I would never forgive them.

So, hypothetically speaking, if there was no choice but to install trims on the first drop so the ride does not keep destroying itself (i.e. Mean Streak) you would be so upset that you would not forgive the park for their decision?

Cause, you know, the other choice would be taking The Beast out.

The trims are light or heavy depending on the way the weather and how many are on the train. Or if they feel the need to have them on lol. I been on it when they was very light or real heavy. I know if the trims dont break a certin way in the tunnel turns at the end it flys in the turns. Its a good ride breaks or not.

Actually, the trims that are on The Beast are magnetic. There are no moving parts. As such, there is no way for them to adjust the brakes depending on the conditions. In other words, the trims will brake a fully loaded train just the same (proportionate to the speed) as they will an empty train.

Not add or remove but to adjust the distance from the counter part on the train. I have worked on trim breaks in a park in Germany that had magnetic trims that were adjustable from the drivers control. Adjusting the distance would allow them to change the trim. THIS IS NOT THE CASE ON The Beast, so please do not read any thing into this statement. I am just handing out info.

Well then, in that case, I stand corrected. I guess these trims just aren't as noticeable as those on, say, some of the hills and the brake shed - at least to me. If I can go back and revise myself... If they "Mean Streak" the first drop, I really don't think that the ride would be the same at all. Whether or not it's smoother or lessens that maintenance costs, I just don't think it'll be the same as it has been in the past.

I think it's disgusting what they've done to The Beast. Brakes on the first drop, brakes before the second drop, then the long brake house right after that.

The beginning of The Beast used to be so incredible... You could get SO much air time on the second drop before they added those horrific brakes. The Beast is still a fantastic coaster... but a lot of its punch is gone. Boo Paramount.

Why Boo Paramount?

Those brakes have been there since the day the coaster opened.

They were sometimes (but not often) off, but that was a VERY rare occasion.

And there was a brief period when there were no brakes on the first drop a few years ago, as they were preparing to install the magnetic brakes (which replaced the skid brakes, which had an unfortunate tendency to not work very well when wet). No brakes on the first drop didn't make a huge difference. Really.

Are you sure the brakes before the 2nd drop were always there? I'm almost positive that when I was younger they weren't.. I seem to remember flying around that first turn and down the 2nd drop.. but I could be wrong.

Are you sure the brakes before the 2nd drop were always there? I'm almost positive that when I was younger they weren't.. I seem to remember flying around that first turn and down the 2nd drop.. but I could be wrong.

I also recall back in the 80's riding The Beast, and not hitting brakes before the 2nd drop. If they were there at the time, they were not used. I also don't recall the straight away brake run after the 2nd drop but before the tunnels as slowing you down as much as they do now. A real treat for us was when they would issue an all-call during park set-up to ride The Beast minus the brake run. I only rode it a couple times like this, and it was incredible. I think the best rides are still the night rides, unless of course they have lite the woods up like Fort Knox!

• 2 weeks later...
Why Boo Paramount?

And there was a brief period when there were no brakes on the first drop a few years ago, as they were preparing to install the magnetic brakes (which replaced the skid brakes, which had an unfortunate tendency to not work very well when wet). No brakes on the first drop didn't make a huge difference. Really.

well when you think about it paramount was the one who chose to put the breaks there, being they were in charge when The Beast was built.

Why Boo Paramount?

well when you think about it paramount was the one who chose to put the breaks there, being they were in charge when The Beast was built.

No, they were not. Taft was. Beast was built long before Paramount Communications bought the parks.

1979 vs. 1992. . .

See also:

http://www.KICentral.com/history/timeline.php

Why Boo Paramount?

No, they were not. Taft was. Beast was built long before Paramount Communications bought the parks.

1979 vs. 1992. . .

See also:

http://www.KICentral.com/history/timeline.php

i read my roller coaster book wrong it says The Beast was built prior to the parks puchace to paramount, but i wasn't thinking when i read it

It's okay! Some of us were alive and watched The Beast being built with great anticipation. And were there the day the park opened to the public, for that matter. Even went to Coney Island in Ohio before there WAS a Kings Island. And have watched Kings Island since day one with more than a little interest.

So, it's a bit more than dry facts in a book to us.

Just wanted to make sure no one was misled!

Have a great night, and enjoy Kings Island!