Kings Island is Twistin' to the 60s, Son of Beast Continues Testing and More!

Kings Island is proud to debut the latest of its amazing five show lineup for the regular season. Twistin' to the 60s debuted this past weekend in the International Showplace, which is that venue's first show since 2005. Hear the amazing live performance by Kings Island's world-class entertainment department while they sing some of the greatest hits of the 60s. Of course, what's a show about the 60s without beach parties, teenage love and big hair? Speaking of big hair, as the gals are getting ready to appear in a dance off on the Rockin' Ricky Van Show, they trust their hair to the Hair-O-Matic 1000 only to have some... blown up... results. So if you're into dancing it up with the tunes of the good 'ol days, talking about your favorite guys at a slumber party, trying to score a dance with the grooviest chick at the dance, and beach balls flying through the air, this show's for you!

Twistin' to the 60s is a daily show in the International Showplace near the Eiffel Tower. See the venue for specific show times.

Also, The Beast's rebel son is beginning to wake up. It has been reported that Son of Beast has been cycling continuously the past few days. There is still no official word on when it will reopen, however with any luck, it won't be long...

Don't forget that Kings Island invites you to celebrate Independence Day a day early this year! On Tuesday, July 3rd, Kings Island will proudly present the Star Spangled Celebration with an amazing expanded fireworks display at 10:00.

Click here to see KICentral's latest photo update! Don't forget to keep checking Kings Island Central for the latest news, rumors, photos and information about Kings Island amusement park!

Regards,

Ryan, Dane, & Ronny

Nice Pictures! I was wondering how they staged this outdoors. My homepark is KD and they staged this show inside the Paramount Theatre. The KI show looks like it has 3-4 more performers in it than at KD. The KD show has 3 couples, the announcer, and one extra girl. The KI version has 4 couples, the announcer, and two extra girls.

Most of the floor props are the same in both shows. Though the KD version has some scene changes due to the fact they use the fly system in the theatre to raise and lower 3-4 set pieces.

Just 2 issues I have with the KD version. First, They need to work on the sound system (hard to hear the singing). I don't know if this is the sound system and/or the people running the sound board. Second, I wish they had staged this better in the Paramount Theatre. The whole stage is used, and sometimes I think the production gets swallowed up on that big stage. You got to remember that the Paramount Theatre was constructed to handle Broadway style shows with big sets and up to 16 performers on the stage at one time. The sets are somewhat sparse and, as I stated above, the number of performers at KD make the production look like it is spread out a little too thin. I think with a few more performers, or if they pushed the show closer to the audience and did not use the back 25% of the stage, that would tighten the show up and improve the audience experience. I think this show was produced initially for CP in a theatre space that was smaller that the Paramount Theatre. That might the the issue.

That aside, it is a good show and it is produced well. The performers have great voices and are very energenic. They certainly get into their parts! I hope you guys enjoy your version!

^Having seen both hairspray and twisting to the 60's I assure you its not.

mwhinva, you mention these sound problems they have at the paramount theatre at KD where their showing twisting to the 60's. Did those same sound problems exist when School Of Rock was in there and where you able to see both the PKD and PKI versions of School Of Rock, if so, then how did they compare? Does KD have an outdoor theatre where they show a different show and do they have any shows different than us? Sorry, one last KD question here, hows that new waterpark renovation?

WOW... by the pictures, this looks like a very "happening" show. It looks like to me that it's a 'montage' of some favorite 60's toons... ala Grease, Hairspray, Happy Days, etc.

Awesome pics... And awesome job to the ENT Dept.! This is def. a GREAT year for ENT at KI! -Hauntguy

^Having seen both hairspray and twisting to the 60's I assure you its not.

mwhinva, you mention these sound problems they have at the paramount theatre at KD where their showing twisting to the 60's. Did those same sound problems exist when School Of Rock was in there and where you able to see both the PKD and PKI versions of School Of Rock, if so, then how did they compare? Does KD have an outdoor theatre where they show a different show and do they have any shows different than us? Sorry, one last KD question here, hows that new waterpark renovation?

I did not see the KD version of "School of Rock" show in 2006. I did not go to the park that season until the fall of 2006 to get a 2007 season pass (the show had closed for the season). I did see the 2005 version of "School of Rock". The sound system was "rockin" for those performances. Deep base and screaming guitar solo's. I am not sure what is going on with the sound system this year. I realize that "Twisting to the 60's" is not a hard rock show; but, there is something lacking with the sound system this year. I think they need to amplify the vocals more. I know the speaker system in the theatre has not changed since the last time I was there (School of Rock - 2005). I am guessing as to whether or not KD changed out the sound boards, removed or changed the amplifiers used, the types of microphones used, or if it had to do something with the people working the sound boards. It just hard to enjoy the show when you are straining to hear at times.

KD currently has 3 places for entertainment. The Paramount Theatre (Twistin to the 60's), International Street stage (Nick at 5 - Nick character short performance and meet & greet), and the Paramount Showplace (former dolphin/sea lion show arena converted to amphitheatre with stage - showing the Dora's sing-a-long show). They also have a little kiddie stage area for the kid's circus show.

KD has lost 3 show facilites since Paramount took over (Country Crossroads, Woodlands, and Safari amphitheatres). If Cedar Fair decided to expand our entertainment, then they would have to invest in new show facilities or double up shows in the existing facilities.

Sorry, I still haven't made it to KI to visit. I don't think 2006 will be the year either.

The water park expansion has been well received. It has been packed the times I have visited! I would not be surprised if CF expands this area again in the next 2-3 years. The Water Works expansion has been a big draw so far!

I think next year they need to focus on the land side of the park by revamping a section by getting rid of more asphalt (using pavers - the new KD entrance plaza looks great!), freshening up or adding new attractions - I keep thinking the kid's section needs a overhaul, maybe something like Your Nick Universe expansion. After that, well some new flats would be nice and a new coaster would be super!

CF is really going to have to keep on top of KD to keep pace with the competition (BGE, SFA, and HP). Also, the Paramount reign has soured the public opinion of KD in this region. They are going to have to work hard on regaining a reputation for good, clean, well-rounded family entertainment at a fair price. If CF plays their cards right, KD has great potential for the chain. KD has a huge market still untapped. Next to KI, KD has the most undeveloped land to expand upon. That gives CF plenty of reasons to invest in the park. Time will tell.

Thanks for the information on the show. When we were there last Sunday June 24 we really enjoyed the show very much. It is truly nice to have so many shows to attend through out the day as we get tired of staying in Nickelodeon area for a large part of the day. Also a note to other parents before the show starts they have a few workers dressed up in 60 style costume and try to get the crowd into it but also one worker brings out a few hula hoops to keep the kid occupied while waiting for the show to start. Nice extra touch.

<object width="640" height="527"><param name="movie" value="http://avatar.phanfare.com/video/2;19910634;"></param><param'>http://avatar.phanfare.com/video/2;19910634;"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://avatar.phanfare.com/video/2;19910634;" width="640" height="527" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

Also at least one performer is filling in another part when we attended the show. And here is a very short 25 second clip to give you all a sample of how great this show and how professional these performers are. Enjoy!

<object width="640" height="527"><param name="movie" value="http://avatar.phanfare.com/video/2;19910658;"></param><param'>http://avatar.phanfare.com/video/2;19910658;"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://avatar.phanfare.com/video/2;19910658;" width="640" height="527" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

Sorry, I left out part of my response to one of your questions concerning the number of shows and are any shows any different. KI has more show productions for 2007 than KD. Course, as I stated previously, we don't have as many show facilities as you do.

KI...............................................KD

Ice skating show (PT).................None

Twisting to the 60's (IS)...............Twisting to the 60's (PT)

Dora's Sing-a-Long (NT)...............Dora's Sing-a-Long (PS)

Nickelodeon M&G (ISB)................Nick at 5 (ISB)

Hot Island Rhythms (ISB).............None

None..........................................BackYard Circus (KV)

PT = Paramount Theatre

IS = International ShowPlace

NT = Nickelodeon Theater

ISB = International Street Bandstand

PS = Paramount ShowPlace

KV = Kidsville Amphitheater

As you can see above, KD has the monopoly on the kiddie shows. There is not much for the adults this year. The Backyard Circus is a show where the kid's pretend to be in a circus. There is a "Ring Master" that guides the show along and the kid's get to dress up as lions, tightrope walker, strong man, etc. and get to pretend they are performing in a circus. It's cute and the parents/kids have fun. Hopefully, in the future, KD will give us adults some shows as well.

Most of the shows are the same. Given the timing of CF buying the Paramount park chain, I assume that they did not have time to develop new show productions, for this year, for all the parks. Plus, the 2007 budget limitations might have curtailed creating new shows as well. Given the size of the Cedar Fair chain, I would not be surprised if they create a centralized entertainment division for all the parks. This division would be responsible for creating all show productions for the chain. They could produce 8 to 10 new shows a year and rotate them among the parks. Cedar Fair is so geographically diverse now, the entertainment division could have a show playing for 2-3 seasons among the parks before retiring it. It seems they could reduce costs that way; yet, keep the park chain entertainment fresh and diverse for years to come. That's the way Taft/KECO did it before Paramount took over. Each park would get shows that were different from each other for a season and then rotate them among themselves for the next season or two. Each park was given at least one show to premiere for that season while the other shows could be from another park.

Given that KD competes with Busch Gardens Europe, which has some GREAT adult shows, I suspect better and more entertainment will be coming to Kings Dominion in the future; even if they have to build venues to put it in.

You are so correct that the reputation of Kings Dominion fell during the Paramount/CBS era. In areas from parking lot security to cleanliness to entertainment to attracting the right kind of crowds, Cedar Fair has its work cut out for it at Kings Dominion (and some of the other ex-CBS parks). If they attack these problems, prosperity lies ahead. If not, a different outcome may well result.

Given that KD competes with Busch Gardens Europe, which has some GREAT adult shows, I suspect better and more entertainment will be coming to Kings Dominion in the future; even if they have to build venues to put it in.

You are so correct that the reputation of Kings Dominion fell during the Paramount/CBS era. In areas from parking lot security to cleanliness to entertainment to attracting the right kind of crowds, Cedar Fair has its work cut out for it at Kings Dominion (and some of the other ex-CBS parks). If they attack these problems, prosperity lies ahead. If not, a different outcome may well result.

I suppose you're right.

As bad as Paramount was for KI, at least we did not fair as bad as KD.

• 5 months later...
I realize that "Twisting to the 60's" is not a hard rock show; but, there is something lacking with the sound system this year. I think they need to amplify the vocals more. I know the speaker system in the theatre has not changed since the last time I was there (School of Rock - 2005). I am guessing as to whether or not KD changed out the sound boards, removed or changed the amplifiers used, the types of microphones used, or if it had to do something with the people working the sound boards. It just hard to enjoy the show when you are straining to hear at times.

The difference in the shows between KD and KI are at KD, they're using headset mics like those of a Countryman Isomax or Shure WBH53 while at KI, they're using handheld Shure SM 58's. I know for a fact headworn mics are harder to mix in a live situation, so I can see why it would be harder with those especially in front of a 3 piece band, multi-track backing, and about 8 or so leads.