Son of Beast to open tommorrow?

corn4ahead

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to pour cold water on what seems to be everyone's hopes, but Cedar Fair procedure has always been to not release a date when a coaster is going to open until it is virtually certain it will be. Anyone in the park who is giving random dates as to when the coaster is going to open is merely speculating, and doing so--doubtlessly--without authority so to do.

Son of Beast will open when it does, if it does. Perhaps without ANY prior announcement.

Calm down. It's a coaster.

I think.

No doubt the opening will be soft...which is why people with their iPhones (like the one I just got from the Apple store) need to post on here when it's open!! Btw, not a HUGE fan of the Mac browser, but I like being able to have multiple browsers going at the same time with the iPhone!!

Well I was at the park today and all I saw was KI testing the blue train + the blue train still don't have the logo on it and it sounded like they where still making altercation to the station.

Well since there were about 2 employees saying it's gonna be about a week it's good enough for me.

I'm going there from Denver on saturday and I just heard about drop zone also closing and I thought it sucked really bad that I'll travel all this way just to go to KI (and CP) to not go on SOB. It sounds like it should open within the week and I'll be so glad if it does.

I originally planned on going on vacation last week here but that would've been bad. The icing on the cake would be if drop zone reopens...

Guest kwindshawne

I saw the blue trains make two test runs today-to me it looked like both times the train had trouble going up the slight incline before the first drop. They were empty trains, so I don't know how the weight of water dummys or people would affect that part.

Guest kwindshawne

That's my opinion, but I didn't want to say it. i know nothing of physics or how this stuff works, but maybe the track was designed for the old trains and nothing else will be quite right on it.

The Red Train had trouble at first too making the circuit. It has to do with the wheels not being broken in. Just like on the first few test runs on Firehawk is was going really slow. Once the wheels break in the speed will in crease.

Just something I noticed, this is what is beside the "Thrill Rides" section of rides and attractions at pki.com

Ready for extreme thrills? Then, check out our world-class roller coasters, including: New for 2007....Firehawk, Kings Island's 14th roller coaster; Son of Beast- The Tallest, Fastest Wooden Coaster on the Planet, DROP ZONE, the world's tallest Gyro Drop and The Beast, still the world's longest wooden coaster after 34 years!

Huh.....

A couple of notes on here:

2, 3, or even 10 employees saying that it'll open next week isn't enough to be "solid evidence." Where did they get their info? I can tell you this much, a lot of the false rumors initiate here and make their way full circle as a "confirmation."

I've heard "next week" from some very reputable people at KI. What does "next week" mean? I don't know. I know their goal was initially for July 4th weekend, as stated before, but (assuming we're in July 4th weekend now) it's clearly not the case.

I don't know if the ride's reopening will be ceremonious or not but if I had to put money on it, I'd say a press release is in order but that's about it.

As stated before, it's not uncommon for a train to be slow or even rollback/hang when the wheels are new... or even in the early testing stages each season. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that as a reason as to why it wouldn't open on time... assuming "on time" is next week.

2, 3, or even 10 employees saying that it'll open next week isn't enough to be "solid evidence." Where did they get their info? I can tell you this much, a lot of the false rumors initiate here and make their way full circle as a "confirmation."

I've heard "next week" from some very reputable people at KI. What does "next week" mean? I don't know. I know their goal was initially for July 4th weekend, as stated before, but (assuming we're in July 4th weekend now) it's clearly not the case.

I don't know if the ride's reopening will be ceremonious or not but if I had to put money on it, I'd say a press release is in order but that's about it.

As stated before, it's not uncommon for a train to be slow or even rollback/hang when the wheels are new... or even in the early testing stages each season. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that as a reason as to why it wouldn't open on time... assuming "on time" is next week.

I have made a lot of posts onto this site. But I have restrained myself from making any posts as to the Son of Beast's Reopening. Back when the rides incident 1st happened, I stated that they need to take as much time as needed to ensure safety on the ride. But this has been my only comment. ( granted I repeated it a few times ) But to be honest, even by Christmas last year, I was expecting a 4th of July opening for the ride. Why? Because it would make perfect sense from a business point of view. For one, it makes sense for July 4th to be an appropriate deadline. This gave the park roughly a full year for investigation and necessary change. There is no chance that anyone could get hurt on this ride now and even attempt to claim that Cedar Fair did not take full responsibility and time to fix the original problem. Which is good. ( in other words, no idiot wanting a claim could try to say that they made a quick fix ) Another reason for the 4th of July is that this date is pretty much the same as a green light for business. In a way, the 4th is a turning point for people, especially people who are in school to realize that their vacation time is going quickly, and they want to make the most of the time that they have. This is the same for vacationing families. This results in massive crowds at...well, Amusement Parks. The turning point for the season is on this date, and any money lost in the first several weeks of park operation can still be made up for through peoples desires to come back to the park for this new attraction. Not brand new, but new for the 07 season. By the 4th of July, many local visitors for example have already visited the park, and spent their money. Well, this is a reason for them to visit again, and spend more. Not only that, but this would be an incredible way to kick off the 4th of July celebration at the park! Imagine it. No announcements. Just rumors. No press conferences to confirm expectations. Imagine if Cedar Fair just wants for you to go online oneday, or visit the park, and BOOM, goes your heart and your imagination. ...IT'S RUNNING!!!!! And if you are lucky enough to be there when that happens, then it comes out to being equal opportunity to get onto the ride. If it does not open by the 4th of July, you can all send me messages with squatting tomatoes hitting me in my smiley face. But if it does, and I am quite sure that it probably will, then just sit back, relax, and enjoy the roar of the son, again, for the 1st time.

m.f.21

I have made a lot of posts onto this site. But I have restrained myself from making any posts as to the Son of Beast's Reopening. Back when the rides incident 1st happened, I stated that they need to take as much time as needed to ensure safety on the ride. But this has been my only comment. ( granted I repeated it a few times ) But to be honest, even by Christmas last year, I was expecting a 4th of July opening for the ride. Why? Because it would make perfect sense from a business point of view. For one, it makes sense for July 4th to be an appropriate deadline. This gave the park roughly a full year for investigation and necessary change. There is no chance that anyone could get hurt on this ride now and even attempt to claim that Cedar Fair did not take full responsibility and time to fix the original problem. Which is good. ( in other words, no idiot wanting a claim could try to say that they made a quick fix ) Another reason for the 4th of July is that this date is pretty much the same as a green light for business. In a way, the 4th is a turning point for people, especially people who are in school to realize that their vacation time is going quickly, and they want to make the most of the time that they have. This is the same for vacationing families. This results in massive crowds at...well, Amusement Parks. The turning point for the season is on this date, and any money lost in the first several weeks of park operation can still be made up for through peoples desires to come back to the park for this new attraction. Not brand new, but new for the 07 season. By the 4th of July, many local visitors for example have already visited the park, and spent their money. Well, this is a reason for them to visit again, and spend more. Not only that, but this would be an incredible way to kick off the 4th of July celebration at the park! Imagine it. No announcements. Just rumors. No press conferences to confirm expectations. Imagine if Cedar Fair just wants for you to go online oneday, or visit the park, and BOOM, goes your heart and your imagination. ...IT'S RUNNING!!!!! And if you are lucky enough to be there when that happens, then it comes out to being equal opportunity to get onto the ride. If it does not open by the 4th of July, you can all send me messages with squatting tomatoes hitting me in my smiley face. But if it does, and I am quite sure that it probably will, then just sit back, relax, and enjoy the roar of the son, again, for the 1st time.

m.f.21

There is ALWAYS a chance for someone to be hurt on any ride. Luckily, it rarely happens. I for one say let them take their time with it, let them break in the wheels, and then reopen it when they know for sure everything is in working order.

Don't forget that there are still legal battles going on over the accident. I remember reading something a while ago about CF wanting to settle most if not all of the legal garbage with the manufacturer BEFORE reopening the ride. I have no idea as to the status of all that at the moment.

Point being, CF is not in any big hurry to open it. Sure it might give them a slight boost in operations, but realistically, Firehawk and Nick Universe are the big draws to the park, not "that controversial wooden coaster."

I don`t recall reading any such thing about settling lawsuits with the manufacturer before they reopen the ride. In fact, I`d think that Cedar Fair would want to get the ride back open as soon as they can. Afterall, when it is not running, guests are not able to partake in the ride, and that is one less thing they have to do while at the park. The less things they have to do at the park, the less time they will spend there (theoretically) and the less money they will spend in the park. So that is a reason why they would want the ride to reopen as soon as possible.

The turning point for the season is on this date, and any money lost in the first several weeks of park operation can still be made up for through peoples desires to come back to the park for this new attraction.

July 4th is not the turning point in a park's season.

Especially now when there are dates for Halloween events.

The bulk of revenue for any Northeastern park comes between the 4th and Labor Day. You can see the effects from the business side here: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=...46371&rfi=6

While it seems that SoB will be open within the week, there was no way for the park to guess if the ride was even going to re-open at all.