Son of Beast to open tommorrow?

corn4ahead

Never ceases to amaze me how misleading the media can be. When that accident happened on the Superman Power Tower ride, the local news station here made it sound as if Kings Island had decided to shut down Drop Zone permanently.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1-800-288-0808 Press 0 to speak with an operator

Why dont you find out?

I did that a couple weeks ago when I called and asked to have a map mailed to me since they still have the 2006 one on the website. The woman I talked to said she didn't know anything...of course she also sent me a brochure instead of a map so maybe she just wasn't all there or something.

The turning point for the season is on this date, and any money lost in the first several weeks of park operation can still be made up for through peoples desires to come back to the park for this new attraction.

July 4th is not the turning point in a park's season.

Especially now when there are dates for Halloween events.

The bulk of revenue for any Northeastern park comes between the 4th and Labor Day. You can see the effects from the business side here: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=...46371&rfi=6

While it seems that SoB will be open within the week, there was no way for the park to guess if the ride was even going to re-open at all.

As a current associate of DISNEY ( through zoology and business degrees ), I can assure you that YES, July 4th, is a turnaround date for ANY amusement or Theme Park. But again, feel free to throw tomatoes at my smiley. :)

m.f.21

A couple of notes on here:

2, 3, or even 10 employees saying that it'll open next week isn't enough to be "solid evidence." Where did they get their info? I can tell you this much, a lot of the false rumors initiate here and make their way full circle as a "confirmation."

I've heard "next week" from some very reputable people at KI. What does "next week" mean? I don't know. I know their goal was initially for July 4th weekend, as stated before, but (assuming we're in July 4th weekend now) it's clearly not the case.

I don't know if the ride's reopening will be ceremonious or not but if I had to put money on it, I'd say a press release is in order but that's about it.

As stated before, it's not uncommon for a train to be slow or even rollback/hang when the wheels are new... or even in the early testing stages each season. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that as a reason as to why it wouldn't open on time... assuming "on time" is next week.

I have made a lot of posts onto this site. But I have restrained myself from making any posts as to the Son of Beast's Reopening. Back when the rides incident 1st happened, I stated that they need to take as much time as needed to ensure safety on the ride. But this has been my only comment. ( granted I repeated it a few times ) But to be honest, even by Christmas last year, I was expecting a 4th of July opening for the ride. Why? Because it would make perfect sense from a business point of view. For one, it makes sense for July 4th to be an appropriate deadline. This gave the park roughly a full year for investigation and necessary change. There is no chance that anyone could get hurt on this ride now and even attempt to claim that Cedar Fair did not take full responsibility and time to fix the original problem. Which is good. ( in other words, no idiot wanting a claim could try to say that they made a quick fix ) Another reason for the 4th of July is that this date is pretty much the same as a green light for business. In a way, the 4th is a turning point for people, especially people who are in school to realize that their vacation time is going quickly, and they want to make the most of the time that they have. This is the same for vacationing families. This results in massive crowds at...well, Amusement Parks. The turning point for the season is on this date, and any money lost in the first several weeks of park operation can still be made up for through peoples desires to come back to the park for this new attraction. Not brand new, but new for the 07 season. By the 4th of July, many local visitors for example have already visited the park, and spent their money. Well, this is a reason for them to visit again, and spend more. Not only that, but this would be an incredible way to kick off the 4th of July celebration at the park! Imagine it. No announcements. Just rumors. No press conferences to confirm expectations. Imagine if Cedar Fair just wants for you to go online oneday, or visit the park, and BOOM, goes your heart and your imagination. ...IT'S RUNNING!!!!! And if you are lucky enough to be there when that happens, then it comes out to being equal opportunity to get onto the ride. If it does not open by the 4th of July, you can all send me messages with squatting tomatoes hitting me in my smiley face. But if it does, and I am quite sure that it probably will, then just sit back, relax, and enjoy the roar of the son, again, for the 1st time.

m.f.21

There is ALWAYS a chance for someone to be hurt on any ride. Luckily, it rarely happens. I for one say let them take their time with it, let them break in the wheels, and then reopen it when they know for sure everything is in working order.

I agree with you completely. People can get hurt on any ride. But please <-- note that the summary of what I said was that at least people probably could not have a lawsuit with say for an example ( a pre-existing injury ) by trying to claim that the same problem still exists with the ride. I am not saying that this would happen necessarily. Instead, I was attempting to say that with some people today, and their crave for lawsuits and ( easy money ), who knows.

But I do appreciate your comment.

m.f.21

i saw on the other site, that a reputable poster pointed out that the closed sign was replaced with a human greeter. that tells me its ready to open...

I was their today, err, yesterday, err.... on the 3rd, and I can confirm this. I asked the greeter when SoB was expected to open. She said "It probably won't open tonight." Well, my opportunity has passed. I won't be able to visit KI for at least 2 weeks. I need my SoB fix! :blink: (Actually, I have never ridden SoB.)

I was also at the park on the 3rd. It was nice to see a greeter instead of a sign. They told me that they had hoped to get it running today but it didn't look like it was going to happen. And it didn't, but there were several cycles of both the red and blue empty trains as others have pointed it. To me that's a good sign on top of an actual greeter.

When I was there yesterday, the 3rd, I saw the blue train running later on in the day. Howver, I did at one point, while going towards Top Gun, see as many as 5 people on the track, and looked to either be inspecting, or perhaps replacing wood on it.