All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Thanks for the request, but I’m not sure I’ll have the time honestly!
  3. BSBMX

Decoding 2020

Nice! Can you link to where those pics came from? Looks interesting. So the pink stuff looks like normal pink foam insulation, which is fairly rigid but lightweight, cheap, and easy to cut. They're using it to create forms, or essentially negative molds, to create the grout pockets in the tops of the footings. The steel plate and the bar directly underneath it (laying on top of the pink foam) is there while the concrete cures to keep the pink foam from floating upwards and around as well as keeping the rebar suspended within the concrete until it is cured enough. That steel plate (and bars and pink foam) would be removed prior to the actual support being placed. On the bottom of these supports, there is a "shear key", which is a small protrusion that loosely fits into the grout pocket (what the pink foam 'molded'). The shear key can be used as a last resort of keeping the support from sliding off the footing until everything is tightened, cured, etc. It also can be used to poka-yoke the support to its footing so that it can only go one way. Once the support is installed, you'd still see a small gap between the footing and the support. This gap is later filled with concrete grout, which fills in the grout pocket, around the shear key, and fully fills beneath the support (in theory) so there are no gaps or air pockets. There are way better pics out there, but I remember seeing this one yesterday, so I included it below. This is an example of a shear key on one of Hershey's pieces. This is a low-to-the-ground piece where there's no separate support, but same idea here. That shear key would fit into a grout pocket on a footing. The blueprints also give an example of a top view and side view of the grout pocket and shear key. Note in the top view, you can see the elongated hexagon shape of the grout pocket form, similar to what you show in your pics.
  4. Today marked my 5th visit to KI and I've been on The Beast each time. Tested out the mythical 17th row and it seemed way smoother than my other rides.
  5. Obviously things can change and it's usually not super busy first thing after opening, but the parking lot seemed especially dead when I arrived today. Got there @ 10 and think there was only one other car in the check-in gates. Everything was walk on and didn't bother with fastlane. Things can change sure, but seems like a great day for those who were on the fence. Went on DB back-to-back, so that was cool. Both times the train before me had a walk of shame. First time I witnessed that and it happened two times! Would really suck for them if that happened on a super busy day only to get bounced. Hope everyone enjoyed their time if they went today.
  6. I gave it a 3/5 for a numerous amount of reasons. The Good - I-Street brings back the good old feel of I-Street and is something you can't miss. Mystic Timbers & KMAA are good examples of rides with good themes in the last few years. Rivertown is well-themed and really represents the backwoods feel. Coney Mall is in a sort of, "alright" situation. IMO, it feels like the color is just draining over the years. Flight of Fear is still themed to the point that it becomes alright. The Eh - Planet Snoopy - I can't really say if it's bad or not because I don't go there too often, but from a general perspective it looks like your average Cedar Fair Snoopy area but with a little bit more theme added to it. Oktoberfest - I'm sequencing this so i'm running out of time, but Oktoberfest is themed well, but small area with a small amount attractions. So it gets an Eh. The Bad - Action Zone. Not trying to be disrespectful but it feels like different colored legos sets being put with another set that doesn't match. Its just a bunch of coasters with different themes (most commonly horror/scary) slapped on a themed area. X-Base was alright, but with the removal of FH, I feel like the area is going to decrease and GP are going to miss it. Plus, the areas biggest theme is FOF, its only attraction. I feel like they could have done so much more for this area. Soak City - While I wouldn't consider it an area, it feels like it. While I would put it in the "Eh", here's why. There is tropical themes in some places, but there are also places with less theme, the biggest plunge (see what I did there?) is the skyline/horizon. When you look in the distance, you'll either see woods or KI. It just throws it off the intended experience (Not the woods). I know KI can't do anything about it, but it just does (well, seeing the airtime hill on DB coming out of the treeline is pretty cool). I ran out of time so if I missed anything, @ or quote me.
  7. Today
  8. They we’re more round ones I didn’t see any I beam supports. They looked like more for this portion of the track
  9. Jallie79

Decoding 2020

As fast as they are progressing with this, one of two things is going on... They are trying to get ahead of schedule as much as possible because of Ohio weather. Or, and this is most likely and plausible.they are trying to beat the opening of a West Coast Racer.
  10. BSBMX

Decoding 2020

About what size were the supports? And what shape? I think a lot of the transfer and storage supports are more traditional I-beam shaped rather than round ones. With all these footings being completed first, we might see those supports installed first.
  11. Here are photos from Fury 325 footers being poured in progressive stages. I was wondering if BSBMX could explain what we are seeing in these pictures. Specifically, what is the pink stuff and why is there a gap with the metal plate and bolts on the finished footer.
  12. sorry I didn’t get pictures but just drove by CSF and there was a truck and it had a boat load of white supports on it, could this be for Kings Island?
  13. fryoj

Decoding 2020

If someone posts the links again, I'll add them to the first post.
  14. AE also played Raider's March.
  15. I'm wondering if management is really pushing for it this season. It seems to be happening across the board. With the exceptions of Diamondback, The Racer, and The Bat, I experienced it on every ride during my last visit despite the average wait being under five minutes. This includes rides where separators are usually more lax and empty seats are the norm.
  16. Joshua

Decoding 2020

"The Idol Temple" by John Williams from Raiders of the Lost Ark WindSeeker is also the king of theme music. Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Apollo 13, Harry Potter, Superman, etc.
  17. I actually experienced this on Adventure Express yesterday. I was assigned Row 15 and I then asked for Row 14 (my favorite row). He then said "Row 15 is open..." and so I went begrudgingly to Row 15. On the flip side, I did have excellent guest service on Delirium as I asked the driver if Bat was open (as I was curious as this was after the storm had blown through and allegedly knocked out power to Drop Tower and nearby rides- but somehow Banshee and Delirium were back up...) and he actually went ahead and called them to see if they were open(they weren't). I told him he went above and beyond and he said, that's what we do! Kudos to that guy (not sure what his name was!)
  18. Along with the station music, AE used to have a recording of a guy saying “the express will leave for the outpost at 0900 hours....” or something like that.
  19. MDMC01

Decoding 2020

I remember riding Beast on a rainy Haunt night; it was pretty insane as the rain was cold.
  20. The following footers are confirmed poured based off current photos/video
  21. It felt like being pelted by bullets that I couldn’t see. Still was a memorable ride on The Beast.
  22. Had a great time at the parade, even if the weather sucked.
  23. Sent. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  24. Jallie79

Decoding 2020

I believe one of the users in this forum posted a link to a Google docs page. I can't remember when. I wanna say it's been in the last 50 or 60 pages. (Sorry cant narrow it down more) maybe someone can remember who is was.
  25. Can someone message me a PDF of all of the blueprints please?
  26. BSBMX

Decoding 2020

These two are a more-involved footing, similar to the two in the turnaround. Not as simple as the small square ones that they already poured, but I'm sure they'll get to them soon.
  27. I wonder why they haven't poured these two footers that are part of the train storage area along with the others.
  1. Load more activity