All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I thought the original name for The Bat was supposed to be The Swoop? Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
  3. Top Gun was actually planned before Paramount bought the park. They changed the name from Rolling Thunder to Top Gun.
  4. It’s worth noting that in the time since the last teasers for a coaster at Kings Island, we have gotten a new general manager, a new communications director, and even a new CEO. What happened three years ago is not necessarily what will happen this year.
  5. That does not mean we are getting the same kind of teasers as we did in the past because: first, we have always gotten them to start the season and second, Cedar Fair seems to be doing more involved teasers nowadays. In the past, they have always put up a couple posters on a fence vaguely hinting at the theme for the new ride, but last season they started detailed teaser campaigns that ended up giving lots of information about the rides. Also, they started teasing really late last year, and that also looks to be happening this year at Kings Island.
  6. Jane Cooper was obsessed with prototype rides. You can thank her for us getting Face/Off, Son of Beast and Tomb Raider: The Ride, and no B&Ms, etc.
  7. I thought Vortex at Canada's Wonderland was the same layout? Also the premiere " spaghetti bowl" has a clone at a six flag park in Texas. Unless there is the smallest difference they look like clones.
  8. fryoj

Decoding 2020

"watch for falling trees" and a sign about paranormal activity were all KI got for teasers correct? Paramount built Top Gun, FOF, Face off, SOB, and IJST. Three were custom, two were not.
  9. Today
  10. I agree with that.....SoB could of changed how we think of paramount. Even though everything else was non custom layouts and most were installed in many other parks. SoB could of changed it all but it was just a mess. I could only imagine how crazy a real life RMC - SoB would be!
  11. Ben43065

Decoding 2020

My mine gripe with the paramount era is the fact the quality of the park was lower then what it previously had been. Before Paramount Kings Island arguably was the best regional theme park in the world, can’t really say that now a day’s. If Paramount didn’t buy the parks chances are we would have seen a lot more B&M’s installed in the 90’s. KECO had already installed 2. Furthermore yes the park did get a lot of capital investments but those investments often times were not the right investments. SoB was by no means a cheap ride and did indeed cost a lot of money to install but even with all the money the ride was still a terrible addition.
  12. Actually, many of the teasers were really helpful with decoding the ride. If you look at this article from COASTER101, you can see that almost all of the ride was figured out from the teasers. https://www.coaster101.com/2018/06/30/carowinds-2019-teasers-what-do-they-all-mean/
  13. It was one of the loudest “booms” I’ve ever heard.
  14. That’s what I mean, a lot of folks though, in the beginning said that it was too small or not fast enough and it turned out fine.
  15. But almost every other coaster has belts of some sort at KI. And Goliath at OG doesn't have belts, and in my anecdotal experience, dispatches much slower. Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
  16. Best food to eat during a storm if you ask me.
  17. fryoj

Decoding 2020

Paramount was trying to do more of the Disney thing than the CP thing. Theme park over amusement park. They just didn't have the budget and the the ability to do year round operations for that to work. That being said, Paramount added 5 coasters to the park. As of right now, CF has added 4. During the Paramount Era, CP also added 5 coasters, only 2 of which were B&M. If SOB hadn't been so poorly built and was still here to be RMC'ed today, I think the Paramount era is looked at differently.
  18. You get a barcode for redemption. They can track which ones are used. So basically it’s (ones that have been used / ones that were sent out) as the formula. I bet it’s well below 1%.
  19. For you regulars, just curious, has there been a major increase in ridership this year so far with the added promotion due to the anniversary year?
  20. I think if paramount would of went with a massive steel coaster from B&M back in the mid 90's like CF did with Raptor / Mantis it would of changed my mind on the rides they installed. They were scared to spend the money and when they did on SoB it was was "junk"
  21. I'm not saying that they made bad choices in rides, but the difference in FoF and a $25M giga are pretty different. CP was getting B&M after B&M in the 90's and we got a themed off the shelf coaster that's been installed in 3 different parks. Not saying they were bad additions, but the fact that Cedar Fair has installed 3 B&Ms now in 11 years is a big difference vs. Paramount.
  22. This right here is a perfect and hilarious response.
  23. BSBMX

Decoding 2020

The electrical plans indicate DMX lighting will be used. I'm not an expert, but DMX lighting is far from being simple, 'dumb' lights. These are lights that I believe the color can be changed in an instant and can easily accomplish fades, chasing effects, lighting changing to the seasons, etc. (so, "fun stuff" for lights). KCL Engineering designed and installed the lighting package for Hangtime at KBF, while TPR provided the physical DMX lighting/hardware. KCL seems to have more of a relationship with Gerstlauer than CF, but they've at least worked with CF before (on Hangtime), so perhaps there's some precedent there that they'll work with CF again, possibly on KI's giga. The Drunk Rider's February 9, 2019 podcast has some more info there, as well as the sites below. I don't think KI's giga will get a light package as extensive as Hangtime's, but I think something like Fury's is certainly a possibility. https://www.kclengineering.com/lighting-theme-and-thrill https://tprlights.com/
  24. Curious why Action Theater is not used for shows at all?
  25. Would they even have a way to measure that? Seems like it is unlikely that it is really linked to you pass, I would assume they just have a supervisor "promo" the cost down.
  26. I agree, and I felt like the park was more diverse in what it offered back then. It definitely has a lot of great coasters now, but I miss having things like shows in the Action Theater and Tomb Raider:The Ride to break it up a little bit. FoF is still the best themed ride in the park, and still a good ride. Delirium is great, Drop Tower is good. If only they hadn't missed so big on Son of Beast... I can only dream of a KI that has an RMC'd SOB, Beast, Diamondback, and 2020 giga.
  27. I will agree with that as well as keeping Phantom Theater going for so long.
  1. Load more activity