If you owned CF, how would you operate it?

RaptorGuy

Since this is mostly a forum about Kings Island, we can just keep this to how specifically you would operate KI if you could do so. If I were making decisions at KI, of course there would be certain upper management level changes. As far as operations go, the first thing I would do is bring back Winterfest. I would have an amendment drawn up that says no matter who owns this company in the future, they can never stop having Winterfest! As far as Haunt, I would still allow it, but it would be tamed down and kept mostly in Coney Mall. It would look almost identical to how it was in 2005. That was probably the best Haunt event at the park that year. I would bring back Elvira for sure. Let's back up to regular season now that we have the end of the year covered. I would have pass and ACE ERT everyday for an hour on Beast, DB and Surf Dog. Vortex would be slated for removal in 2 years to make way for a B&M invert. I would have Ghost Manor totally re-themed to something more exciting than Skeletons. Maybe bring back Phantom Theater as a Shoot and ride. Action Theater would have Spongebob on one side and FunHouse Express on the other. The Racer would run the red side backwards again. The coaster formerly known as Son of Beast would be restored and reprofiled with new elements, maybe new loop? The food would get a full make over. I'd keep the Skylines, Laroses, Graeters, Chik Fil A and Starbucks, but would add at least 2 table service restaurants. I would probably switch to Pepsi to make everything more uniform company wide. I would offer a bigger variety to include caffein free and stuff. Perhaps offer a deal to include drinks all day for one price. The fireworks would be 20 minutes long instead of 5 and be everynight the park is open past 8. There's other things, but those are the major changes I would offer if I could make KI what I wanted it to be.

I would make sound business judgments intended to maximize safety, profit, the guest experience and guest satisfaction and employee satisfaction (and not necessarily in that order). In order to increase guest satisfaction, I would do market research to see what the target markets wanted (not just what I liked), that we were targeting the right markets and that we weren't leaving entire segments out of our efforts and thereby leaving money on the table that could instead be in the company's coffers. I would also attempt to hire the best people in the business at all levels of the company, compensate them appropriately at all levels of the company and make working fun!

And some people here would not like me at all, because the second thing I would want looked at extensively (after safety emphasis/efforts) would be whether season passes were an appropriate part of my business model, or whether, in the alternative, a lower gate price of, perhaps $30, with no charge for parking, and no discounting at the gate (except for groups) would actually meet all the goals listed in the first sentence while producing better overall financial results for the company. If this proved to be the case, as I suspect it would, season passes would be replaced with loyalty cards, where frequent guests would get tiered discounts on food and merchandise, with the discounts increasing with more visits and that status carrying over from year to year.

• Like 4

i wouldnt want to run ki. but only thing i would ask is do a ride swap with carowinds for the eagles back, & try to incorporate theme back into the once "THEME'd" park as compared to having it in the category of an amusement park.

• Like 1

Raptorguy, there are games called "Roller coaster Tycoon" and "Thrillville", they're available on many platforms, you really should look into them.

Although the funny part is, if you played the games using the strategy you posted above, you'd lose!

Regarding your stream of consciousness above, I've never understood people who believe that what's spinning around in their heads is always better than what currently exists. If I remember right, you wrote a post about Haunt last year that said basically you were really mad that it wasn't more tailored to your personal preferences.

Do you go into Skyline and rant about how they need to change their chili recipe? Should Jungle Jim's change their layout and decorations?

Dude, Lay back and enjoy the show. It's alot more fun!

I'd tear down every ride, attraction, souvenir shop, dinosaur, fountain pool, and food stand except:

Beast

Diamondback

Racer

Drop Tower

Delirium

Sling Shot

Invertigo

WindSeeker

Festhaus

Eiffel Tower

the Sidewinder Slide

I'd fill all the remaining space with every kind of thrill ride every built or imagined. I'd reopen SOB with the loop and all padding and rider restraints removed.

Every pond would be filled in, every tree torn down, every square inch paved. All fences would be removed for quick access to rides.

Season passes would be limited to 100 every year, and would cost $12. ERT for passholders would start at 8 and run until 2pm, when the park opens to the general public. General admission tickets would be $400, and every resident of Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus would be required by law to purchase one per year to subsidize my season pass holders and their ride requirements.

The shops on I Street would have the walls removed and the world's largest gravy buffet installed. The Festhaus would be turned into a food court with Chipotle, Fatburger, Larosa's, Panda Express, Panera, Penn Station, and a Mexican place that doesn't have Taco in the name. Gold pass holders get free food.

The upstairs I street restaurant would be reopened as a O'TGIAppleChili's, exclusive to passholders from 5-9pm, again free of course.

Eiffel Tower would be converted into a revolving restaurant at the top. I'm thinking premium steakhouse like Ruth's Chris or Morton's, again free to passholders and with exclusive hours.

Valet parking and free massages to people with more than 52 posts on KIC.

I would raise gate admission to match that of Dollywood, Cedar Point or SFGA.

I would bring more shows to the park, utilizing the talent of local performing arts groups. And there IS talent out there. There are singers and dancers and groups in my area specifically who never know anything about Kings Island auditions (That's a major problem). Additionally, the higher gate price could bring in some professional groups on the fringe.

I would bring back a more robust summer concert lineup. (Something that could have really helped Hard Rock Park, and one of the ONLY things that kept Cypress Gardens afloat as long as it was)

I would bring in a sit down restaurant similar to Gameday Grill, with an entrance to the exterior of the park open during offseason hours as well as in-season hours. This would be an experience on par with Bdubs, or Frickers etc. with gameday parties during March Madness, and football season.

Also, I would add some teacups, and some landscaping to the area next to IS theater behind the lighted stars and characters.

Finally, that pavement in Action Zone would come up, and the landscaping there would be reworked with emphasis on photo spots, and strategic shade opportunities.

Last but not least I would like to add some more family rides, not rides for a kid and his/her parent(s), but a ride that grandma and grandpa can ride together, something thematic, original, and adventurous.

Raptorguy, there are games called "Roller coaster Tycoon" and "Thrillville", they're available on many platforms, you really should look into them.

Although the funny part is, if you played the games using the strategy you posted above, you'd lose!

Regarding your stream of consciousness above, I've never understood people who believe that what's spinning around in their heads is always better than what currently exists. If I remember right, you wrote a post about Haunt last year that said basically you were really mad that it wasn't more tailored to your personal preferences.

Do you go into Skyline and rant about how they need to change their chili recipe? Should Jungle Jim's change their layout and decorations?

Dude, Lay back and enjoy the show. It's alot more fun!

I play Roller Coaster Tycoon, but I use The Son of Beast Cheater and I can do whatever I want in my parks. I can make anything magically appear. But, I do believe

what is spinning around in my head to be better than what is really happening. I believe ERT on Beast and Diamondback is a million times better than having

it on WindSeeker, and Head Banger. But, we all know how angry I am about that, no need to keep rehashing the mistake they made in that decision!

But, I don't go into Skyline and complain about how bad the chili is, because its not that bad. I like Gold Star better, but I dont complain about it. And, I actually

like Jungle Jims. I don't complain to him, because what would I complain about? I'd like to see a coaster there, but probably won't happen. I am upset at Kings Island,

because I love the park, and I don't like what's been happening over there lately. The things I said I would do if I could control it, are things that existed in the

history of Kings Island, but no more. They are things that worked and people enjoyed, and I don't understand why they would take things away that were great.

The current management is horrible, and make horrible decisions, and I am just stating what should be done differently to try and get them to make better

decisions. So, thats why I wanted to know if anyone else could operate it, what they would want to see done differently!

You know me: I'd pipe in appropriate and/or awe-inspiring theme music to each area of the park.

Action Zone - Rock music (either classic or heavy metal)

Oktoberfest - German music

Planet Snoopy - Kids music (Nick, Disney stuff)

Coney Mall - Fun, uplifting music (like pop, 80s pop, and "fun" things. Lol.)

International Street - Elegant music (Mozart, anybody? B))

And I can't think of anything for Rivertown........

If I were in charge of Cedar Fair I would:

• Give more power to each park's local management. Corporate would not mandate pricing. While food and merchandise would still be bulk ordered through corporate for the most part, each park would get to choose what products they ordered and would not have items shoved down their throats.
  • Expand the Micros POS system used at the former Paramount Parks to all of the legacy parks for food, retail, and accommadations. I would also push each park to use the software to develop an enticing purchase rewards points program for season pass holders.
  • Dump the ugly 70s style employee uniforms and go back to polos. I would also eliminate the neck tie requirement for most supervisors that spend their time outdoors or doing mainly physical labor.
  • Focus the company's long-term investment strategy on opening more attractions outside the gate. These would vary by location but could include aquariums, wax museums, challenge parks, hotels, etc. The idea would be to attract a somewhat new audience while consolidating expenses such as marketing, maintenance, IT, retail, etc. with the existing properties.
  • Create a Corporate Alliances division similar to Six Flags (but not quite as excessive). Sell effective but tasteful sponsorships and install queue line TVs.

• Like 1

Planet Snoopy - Kids music (Nick, Disney stuff)

I like taking my kids to this area please leave the garbage Disney calls music at their parks.

Unless of course you are talking about songs from their movies. I can stomach most of that, but the brain dead Tween stars they have polluting the airwaves would make me suicidal. I'd rather hear Barney, lol.

That last suggestion, a really good one by the way, was supposedly adopted by Cedar Fair about three years ago. Never saw that it produced any significant results, though.

Have you already forgotten that fantastic partnership CF developed that resulted in Rock Band Live? ;)

I agree with much of what has been said already, but to add to the list of ideas, I would embrace new technologies or improve on technologies that aren't working particularly well. Along those lines, I would set up monthly Internet-based calls between all of the park general managers and Cedar Fair HQ in order to pass ideas around and to work collaboratively on improving operations and guest experience. I believe collaboration and teamwork would spark creativity and imagination which would really help improve the parks overall.

Expand the Micros POS system used at the former Paramount Parks to all of the legacy parks for food, retail, and accommadations. I would also push each park to use the software to develop an enticing purchase rewards points program for season pass holders.

I would rather they pick something totally new. Often it feels as if the Micros registers are working against you and not with you, especially the manual push-button style.

"Magnetic card is the wrong type."

"Employee ID not found."

"Sending guest check."

"Computing CRC list." *register locks up for 5min*

*scream*

Also, it should not take a phone call to turn on a register that was accidentally shut off. Picking something totally new (and hopefully touch screen) would be really nice. Or upgrading the existing registers so that they were more user-friendly.

There is, with all due respect, a reason it is called a POS system.

Terp, who remembers well the opening day about half dozen years ago at Great Adventure when the ENTIRE computer system for POS failed, and the park was reduced to computing/recording all transactions with paper and pencil. Oh, the money that place lost that day (from shrinkage to ...uh...employee theft...there is no polite way to put it).

Rivertown should get what it used to have. Country music. Preferably classic country. So the kids can go "Yuck! Mom, Dad, you listened to that?" And the parents can say "No, but your grandparents and Terpy did!"

hey, there isnt anything wrong with charlies pride nor merle being haggard; & on that note, im out of here courtesy of a foggy mountain breakdown.