Jump to content

2024 Bucket List Amusement Parks


johnjniehaus
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not sure if this is the right section for this thread so if not I apologize but I wanted to throw one out there for us to discuss our bucket list parks for this year and any amusement park road trips or other types of trips/vacations we might be kicking around for this year. Can't wait to hear where everyone is headed! 

 

Seeing as I'm a broke college student now, I will be lucky to get up to CP for two days. Does anyone know how far Michigan's Adventure is from CP and is it worth going to if you have never been? I have also kicked around the idea of hitting SFGA, Indiana Beach, & SFSL on a long weekend. ACE has a week long trip planned to the British parks and that's definitely on my bucket list but there's no way I'm coming up with nearly $3k this year to do it. Maybe one day... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been to MIA twice, both in conjunction with CP trips.  MIA is over 4 hours from Sandusky.  Also make sure you use I-96 and not I-69, it can be easy to confuse the two, especially coming back from Muskegon.  If you've never been, I'd go just to experience MIA.  Its nice for what it is, though, Shivering Timbers was a jackhammer machine last season.  I'm not sure if they've continued re-tracking it, but its in dire need of TLC for about 4K of its mile long track.  Wolverine Wildcat was running really well at least, and Corkscrew and Thunderhawk are decent.   Decent supporting ride selection as well.   Food leaves a lot to be desired, both in the park and in Muskegon in general, and 0 live entertainment.   There also isn't much to Muskegon besides the Lake Michigan beaches.    If I were you and if possible, I'd do MIA before any bigger parks as you may get spoiled by the bigger, better parks which can taint your MIA experience, especially if Timbers isn't running well. 

Also, if you're looking for another park in that vicinity,  Waldameer is slightly closer to Sandusky and Ravine Flyer II was running excellently last season.  And if you do Waldameer, do not pass up Sara's diner just outside the park.  

As for me, I'm not even doing KI this season due to money issues, but I have a few trips I've had on the back burner that I want to do eventually.   One is a Missouri trip for SDC, SFStL and WoF with a likely stay in St Louis to see the Reds play there.  I've also been wanting to do a Canadian trip with Canada's Wonderland and La Ronde.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, silver2005 said:

I've been to MIA twice, both in conjunction with CP trips.  MIA is over 4 hours from Sandusky.  Also make sure you use I-96 and not I-69, it can be easy to confuse the two, especially coming back from Muskegon.  If you've never been, I'd go just to experience MIA.  Its nice for what it is, though, Shivering Timbers was a jackhammer machine last season.  I'm not sure if they've continued re-tracking it, but its in dire need of TLC for about 4K of its mile long track.  Wolverine Wildcat was running really well at least, and Corkscrew and Thunderhawk are decent.   Decent supporting ride selection as well.   Food leaves a lot to be desired, both in the park and in Muskegon in general, and 0 live entertainment.   There also isn't much to Muskegon besides the Lake Michigan beaches.    If I were you and if possible, I'd do MIA before any bigger parks as you may get spoiled by the bigger, better parks which can taint your MIA experience, especially if Timbers isn't running well. 

Also, if you're looking for another park in that vicinity,  Waldameer is slightly closer to Sandusky and Ravine Flyer II was running excellently last season.  And if you do Waldameer, do not pass up Sara's diner just outside the park.  

As for me, I'm not even doing KI this season due to money issues, but I have a few trips I've had on the back burner that I want to do eventually.   One is a Missouri trip for SDC, SFStL and WoF with a likely stay in St Louis to see the Reds play there.  I've also been wanting to do a Canadian trip with Canada's Wonderland and La Ronde.

No KI this year? Are you close to KI? Is it the buying of the pass you can't swing,  or just getting there and so on in general?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LuvingKI said:

No KI this year? Are you close to KI? Is it the buying of the pass you can't swing,  or just getting there and so on in general?

Had medical issues, that, while they weren't bad for my physically as I first feared, I've been taking it hard mentally which made me worry about what work I could do and had to adjust.  I'm mostly through it now but finding work I want/can do hasn't been fruitful recently, though.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, silver2005 said:

Had medical issues, that, while they weren't bad for my physically as I first feared, I've been taking it hard mentally which made me worry about what work I could do and had to adjust.  I'm mostly through it now but finding work I want/can do hasn't been fruitful recently, though.   

I understand,  I started having severe medical issues a few years ago, thought it was anxiety,  ending up having open heart surgery. I work construction and have since I was 14 and am now 42, and don't know how much longer I can.

I asked, because I see you've been a member a long time,  and if you needed help buying a pass, I would help.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LuvingKI said:

I understand,  I started having severe medical issues a few years ago, thought it was anxiety,  ending up having open heart surgery. I work construction and have since I was 14 and am now 42, and don't know how much longer I can.

I asked, because I see you've been a member a long time,  and if you needed help buying a pass, I would help.

Well, even if I had a pass, gas money would add up.  I'm in Delhi on the west side of Cincy and a good 45 minutes from KI, either via I-71 or occasionally I-275 and I-71.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Well, even if I had a pass, gas money would add up.  I'm in Delhi on the west side of Cincy and a good 45 minutes from KI, either via I-71 or occasionally I-275 and I-71.  

Well if you need help, just let me know, I could swing getting you the pass, I couldn't swing the meal and drink add-on.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My bucket list park for the year is Fuji Q Highland.  I will be visiting Japan, my flight is next week.  The problem is I have been to Japan before and never made it to Fuji Q.  It is a long way from Tokyo, takes a full day, and I have limited time and too many plans.  So I will literally be able to say in two weeks if this happened or not.

During my trip I will also be visiting Tokyo Disneyland, Universal Studios Japan, Tokyo Dome City, and Nagashima Spa Land.  I have been to all of these parks before.  Disney has a new Beauty and The Beast dark ride.  Universal frequently has seasonal specials like turning an indoor coaster into a VR experience themed to an anime.  Nagashima Spa Land had a lot of ride closures due to weather and maintenance last time I visited so I hope to finally ride Steel Dragon 2000.

If I have time and money this summer I hope to make the drive to Silver Dollar City and make a stop at Lost Island Theme Park on the way.  The new Fire in the Hole looks fantastic.  I am concerned Lost Island will not survive long term so feel visiting soon would be a good idea.

Will be visiting Cedar Point for Top Thrill 2.  I have tickets for Holiwood Nights and look forward to Good Gravy.  Will make trips to Kentucky Kingdom and Kings Island.  If I have some days free plan to try to hit some zoos like Indianapolis, and likely Columbus.

That’s the stuff I am confident about.  Plans change, but a lot of the big stuff is booked to an extent.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Well, even if I had a pass, gas money would add up.  I'm in Delhi on the west side of Cincy and a good 45 minutes from KI, either via I-71 or occasionally I-275 and I-71.  

I feel ya! I live in Harrison, OH so it's a little ways for me as well... If you want to carpool up there sometime this summer do me and maybe I can pick you up or something. One westsider KI fan to another 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kenban said:

My bucket list park for the year is Fuji Q Highland.  I will be visiting Japan, my flight is next week.  The problem is I have been to Japan before and never made it to Fuji Q.  It is a long way from Tokyo, takes a full day, and I have limited time and too many plans.  So I will literally be able to say in two weeks if this happened or not.

During my trip I will also be visiting Tokyo Disneyland, Universal Studios Japan, Tokyo Dome City, and Nagashima Spa Land.  I have been to all of these parks before.  Disney has a new Beauty and The Beast dark ride.  Universal frequently has seasonal specials like turning an indoor coaster into a VR experience themed to an anime.  Nagashima Spa Land had a lot of ride closures due to weather and maintenance last time I visited so I hope to finally ride Steel Dragon 2000.

If I have time and money this summer I hope to make the drive to Silver Dollar City and make a stop at Lost Island Theme Park on the way.  The new Fire in the Hole looks fantastic.  I am concerned Lost Island will not survive long term so feel visiting soon would be a good idea.

Will be visiting Cedar Point for Top Thrill 2.  I have tickets for Holiwood Nights and look forward to Good Gravy.  Will make trips to Kentucky Kingdom and Kings Island.  If I have some days free plan to try to hit some zoos like Indianapolis, and likely Columbus.

That’s the stuff I am confident about.  Plans change, but a lot of the big stuff is booked to an extent.

That is quite the trip! Make sure you share all the details for us on the forums 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I appreciate the offers for help.   However, I'm content with just sitting out this season and getting a pass next year.   I don't mind taking a break in all actuality.  Once I get back working, I do want use this hiatus to save money this year in not going so I can maybe do something nicer next summer, plus I'm saving money to eventually start getting into recording sax covers of songs, and I want to get some basic sound and recording equipment.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2024 at 8:06 AM, johnjniehaus said:

Not sure if this is the right section for this thread so if not I apologize but I wanted to throw one out there for us to discuss our bucket list parks for this year and any amusement park road trips or other types of trips/vacations we might be kicking around for this year. Can't wait to hear where everyone is headed! 

 

Seeing as I'm a broke college student now, I will be lucky to get up to CP for two days. Does anyone know how far Michigan's Adventure is from CP and is it worth going to if you have never been? I have also kicked around the idea of hitting SFGA, Indiana Beach, & SFSL on a long weekend. ACE has a week long trip planned to the British parks and that's definitely on my bucket list but there's no way I'm coming up with nearly $3k this year to do it. Maybe one day... 

I would skip Michigan’s Adventure. Unless you’re specifically going for the coaster counts, you’re better off spending extra days at CP. Michigans Adventure is landscaped very nicely and the waterpark is nice, however the coaster and ride lineup is meh. The food was bad, so bad that I didn’t even redeem my second meal from the season long dining pass there and opted to eat outside of the park.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

I would skip Michigan’s Adventure. Unless you’re specifically going for the coaster counts, you’re better off spending extra days at CP. Michigans Adventure is landscaped very nicely and the waterpark is nice, however the coaster and ride lineup is meh. The food was bad, so bad that I didn’t even redeem my second meal from the season long dining pass there and opted to eat outside of the park.

Agree with the food selection, but I thought it was a cool little park and should not be missed. At least for one visit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So far for the 2024 season, I've been to Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Seaworld Orlando. 

I have future plans this year to visit Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland, Kings Island, Carowinds, King's Dominion, World's of Fun, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom.

Possible parks if I have time will be Knotts Berry Farm, California's Great America.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any advice for going up to Cedar Point. I am planning to go up with a few buddies and are going on a budget so we are thinking of staying at the motel 6. Overall, just hoping someone had some insight. I have never been before and am super excited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2024 at 8:06 AM, johnjniehaus said:

Does anyone know how far Michigan's Adventure is from CP and is it worth going to if you have never been?

It’s a four and half to five hour drive, with minimal stops, covering close to 300 miles to get from Cedar Point to Michigan’s Adventure.  I think it’s a bad idea to try to add it to a trip to Cedar Point.  Instead add it to a trip to Michigan.  Go visit Detroit, Holland, something, anything else that is closer.  While it won’t be an amusement park or roller coaster, I feel there is plenty to do in Detroit, and while it is still 3 hours each way, I have done it as a day trip from Detroit

I like Michigan’s Adventure, it’s a good looking park with decent rides, and typically has short lines.  But it’s small and it’s out of the way.  I went over Labor Day weekend last year, I think on Sunday.  Almost all the coasters were short waits, mostly 5 minutes or less, with only 2 or 3 having longer waits.  I have season long Fast Lane, and I mostly just used the regular lines, except for I think Mad Mouse, the Arrow Wild Mouse.  Just don’t expect a lot of food options, or a lot of rides, it is a small park.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 12:52 PM, SmartCat7162 said:

Any advice for going up to Cedar Point. I am planning to go up with a few buddies and are going on a budget so we are thinking of staying at the motel 6. Overall, just hoping someone had some insight. I have never been before and am super excited.

Ok so I've kinda got a similar deal. I've been quite a few times over the years but I've got three friends who I'm taking up there for the first time this year. So here's what I can tell you - typically the park isn't busy at all in May during the week. Best time to go in my opinion. Obviously the enthusiasts might be there for TT2 opening but I've been there in May the last 2 years and it's been low crowds and beautiful weather both times. I have never got fastlane (in May I never felt the need for it) but in busier season it would help tremendously as wait times can get extremely long for the major coasters. Maybe going in late Aug would be better because people are back to school/college but I can tell you never go in late July. Did that once and I'll never do it again. Never seen so many people in my life lol! 

 

As for hotels, I've stayed a few times in Sandusky and every hotel I've stayed at so far is an overpriced dump. It's a tourist trap if you ask me. I'd prefer to stay 30-45 min away where hotels are typically cheaper and also better quality. I mean sure you spend more $ in gas but I've just always been really disappointed in all the hotels I've tried in Sandusky and they are usually not cheap! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...