Paramount Past

KIMonster14

The proposed Flying Dutchman for KI was going to take the place of King Cobra. It obviously ended up at Six Flags GL... and Paramount retained money from that install... believe it or not. (Paramount partenered with Vekoma in the development of the ride and owned rights to the design.)

Shaggy

Part of the consideration of the move of the Flight of Fear coasters involved a total re-theme. Surveys were sent to various folks... myself included... that gave different options. I can't recall the specifics of the potential FOF re-theme, but do recall it having something to do with MTV - ala Rock n Roller Coaster and it was to be called "Soundwave." Here's the rendering:

soundwaveart2.jpg

Another little known fact is that there were MANY proposed theme changes to significant parts of KI. One shocker is that plans were in the works to re-theme Coney Mall to "TV LAND."

TV Land was supposed to re-vitalize the neglected back corner of the park and would have been anchored by the install of "Addams Family Values - The Ride" that was slated to have it's entrance built in the general area of the Flight Commander pad. The park was close to securing the rights to the characters for the attraction when the Countess that owned them passed away leaving the trademark in limbo. That negated the install and the park passed on the ride unit itself. You can still ride it though... it became "Mystery Mine" at Dollywood instead. Also of note is that originally Tomb Raider was to have it's entrance placed in the area in which the Addams ride was later proposed. When the decision to remove KCKC was made - TR was re-surveyed for that spot. Well prior to that, Drop Zone was originally slated for this same area... but the park passed on it and expanded the waterpark instead. The original Drop Zone proposed for KI was instead installed at PCW. KI didn't get theirs for years... and got a much larger version.

Drop Zone and Face/Off were last minute decisions provoked by the decision to build SOB. Once the park knew that they wanted to build SOB, they decided to overhaul the sad Adventure Village area of the park and remove all traces of the former Safari Theme. They quickly made the decision to add the two rides the year prior to SOB, which explains why PKI installed a small foot-print shuttle instead of a full circuit invert.

In addition, prior to the decision to remove the Safari Monerail, PPD&E actually drew up plans for an attraction called "Movierail" that would have used the Safari Trams. Guests would have passed by recreations of Paramount Movie Scenes and iconic tv sets. For instance the Brady Bunch House.

I know it seems far fetched, but trust me... it's all true.

Shaggy

Wow, that's the most interesting post I've read in a long time. Thanks. I'm trying to imagine the "movierail" concept.