Parc Asterix 6/4/24

Just got back from my first overseas park visit. This whole trip was a bit last minute but I opted to add Parc Asterix and I'm glad I did.

First off, Toutatis is legit. Scratch that, Toutatis is amazing. It's a wild, out of control ride with a triple launch section and some fun, new elements. It even has strong ejector airtime but with restraint that don't make you regret your life decisions.  It's probably my number 1 now (not that that says much). Got 3 rides on it on a somewhat mild weekday. Or maybe it just seemed mild because of how absurdly fast the ops are. Every dispatch is under 30 seconds. Part of that is certainly the lack of seatbelts and frankly the lack over overweight and other problematic riders. My only gripe: the staff wouldn't let me keep my glasses on even with a strap.

Tonner 2 Zeus. It's weird that despite living relatively close, this was my first Gravity Group ride (depressingly, I haven't even been on Voyage). It too is an impressive ride. Wild elements. Good airtime. Great pacing and its long enough to feel like a complete ride. Honestly, if it wasn't so rough, I would rank it above any wood coaster. It's not unbearably rough but its enough to hurt the experience. The restraints on the timberliners are pretty nice though. Got 2 rides in and the second was about a 5 minute wait.

Oziris. The resemblance to Montu is still funny but this a decent invert that doesn't try to kill you with vertical G's. Decent.

Pegase Express. I completely forgot about this thing having a reverse launch so it was a fun surprise. It's considered a family thrill coaster which is pretty accurate but it packs a decent punch. It is a tad rough. Got 2 rides.

Goudarix. Yeah. I rode an old Vekoma but not because I care about credits. I've never been on one of these models. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. Instead of headbanging the restraint sat awkwardly and painfully on my chest. New restraints would significantly improve it.

Trace du Hourra. One of the remaining Mack bobsleds. I've always liked them and this was my first ride on one in a while. Fun ride.
Also Vol D'lcare, a small zierer ride. It wasn't horrible but it has a bunch of block brakes that automatically hit, like on a wild mouse and it hurts the ride. I completely forgot to ride the last coaster at the park, a tivoli family coaster but I suspect I didn't miss much.

The park itself was beautiful. As we  all know, these European parks put the US to shame outside of Disney and Universal. I wouldn't put the park quite on their level but maybe just one tier down. It was wonderfully atmospheric.

They also do a number of good operational things. For example, on rides that need a place for bags, they wheel out carts and then securely make the cart available at the exit only after that train has returned. Another example, in longer lines, random security guards walk through the line. In the morning, at least 5 passed us in line and it appears to be just part of their rounds. Definitely would like to see that at KI and other American parks. After closing time, I noticed food stalls were still open which is nice, though they don't have dining plans so that's certainly part of it.

One complaint about the park is the short hours. 6pm close on weekdays and 7 pm close on weekends. Also, I don't speak French but I suppose that is my fault....

• Like 3