The Irony of Cincinnati Newspapers

Young Gunz

I'm not making this post to reopen the SOB thread. Ryan closed it for a reason and we should respect that.

I do however think that it's ironic that Carrie Whitaker, the Warren Co beat writer for the Enquirer, finds it more important to copy and paste the same article over and over again about SOB with almost no new info each time when in two weeks a man is going to risk his freaking life with a high wire walk 262 feet above the ground and she ignores that.

This, my friends, is why the newspaper industry will be gone sooner than later.

I don't think that's the reason... I think it has more to do with the internet providing free news every day.

And as for the SoB stories... I agree that Nik Wallenda's walk should definitely have been covered. But I think it's a good idea to let the public know what's going on with SoB, and why. After all, it's been closed for a long time now, and I bet a lot of people went to the park and came home disappointed, not knowing why it was closed all day.

Young Gunz, I know you don't post here often, but I believe the reason they keep replaying the SOB news story is because its a hot news item. The other SOB stories on www.cincinnati.com get quite a lot of responses and comments from readers. It seems the paper is just catering to what it's readers find popular even if that means copying and pasting the typical SOB news story instead of copying and pasting a park press release for promoting an event.

I think what people find so intriguing about the SOB story is that the park still remains tight lipped about the ride and hasn't given a lot of information to their fanbase or the general public. Meanwhile, the wallenda event is very similar to one held last year.

BTW, print media is dying for various reasons. I highly doubt that a suburban Enquirer reporter's unwillingness to roll with a press release is one of them.

The Cincinnati Post unfortunately closed in 2007.

While I'm sure it was "unfortunate" for many who worked there and those that liked the Post (and I'm not claiming that this is the reason for your comment), I get frustrated at how big a deal is made (especially by other media outlets) about newspapers closing down.

The business model needs to change if you want to stay in business as the world changes around you - this has been going on for years and will continue to go on. Despite what the nightly news might tell you, this is called progress - I don't know where we are progressing to, but we'll get there.