battle of the bands

nightrider19

I don't know if anything like this has been done in the past, or if anyone else would see it as a good idea, but i think pki should have a battle of the bands, heck they have Star Search, it would be the perfect setting, they could even have local radio stations out to help, and there are 2 theaters they could use. this is how they could run it, every saturday, 6 bands get 1/2 hour, to play and impress the crowd, after all six(or whatever) bands are done playing, the people or some judges some how vote for the top 2 bands, the first place band goes on to play head to head against the top band from the previous week to see who goes on, and at the end of each month the top two bands from each week play a set, with the reigning champ closing, and with the $$ the park has, the could help the bands find a break, and get them exposed to alot of ppl, while providing entertainment to the park, and the attendence of their followers

Couldn't they hold it at Timberwolf or at International Showplace. All they would have to do is hold it between the Tuned In shows or hold it on weekends when House of Blues doesn't have anyone scheduled for Timberwolf. It is a very feasible idea, especially since the bandstand in front of the tower has stuff for Star Search all set up, they could just use the mixing board they have there. It wouldn't cost hardly anything except for a little more electricity and maybe a couple of associates. Most rock bands have their own equipment. I see this as a real possibility for 2005. The only thing that might kill it off before it even starts is the bands themselves. PKI might not agree with the lyrics of today's upstart bands, (vulgarity, innuendoes, etc. etc.) All they would have to do is prerequire set lists and a copy of all lyrics just to be sure they can preserve their precious family oriented reputation. In all honesty, I can see it for 2005.

What's wrong with Bogarts?

I can't see them doing this. It would be way to easy for stuff to get out of hand, especially when you're dealing with rock bands and teenagers here. Not to mention that these bands tend to bring people that most folks at the park (employees and customers alike) probably don't want to see. Xtended Play clearly didn't work, what makes you think that this would?

Sobrider, I like the name School of Rock: Battle of the Bands. I would go see this. These things are ususally pretty fun. Having been in a couple of battle of the bands, it is exciting from a musician's standpoint. To be up on stage and having everyone hear your music is awesome, especially if it goes over well.

Steveo no offense bro but, Bogarts has security, and so do we. P{lus Bogarts dont do the new guys last time i checked, the do bands like ohhh say, Three Days Grace, Simple Plan, Switchfoot, Mudvayne, Staind and many other big names, not the smaller guys trying to get a break. Anyways back on topic sounds like a great idea, someone should talk to jeff, or whoever, and the name pat gave sounds good even though its kinda cheesy

• 2 weeks later...

It is a good idea. The trick would be finding enough bands who don't suck. There would probably be a lot of groups wanting to participate, but if you have ever been to or participated in a BOB, than you know what I'm talking about by my previous statement. They would have to hold prescreening auditions to weed out the crap and the raunch (gotta keep it clean for the kiddies). There is nothing worse than for a promoter to have bad acts. As someone who works and plays in the music business, I've seen these things flop a time or three.

They should do it tournament style over the course of the summer, and have the final at the end of the season. That would bring interested people back to the park more often. Offer a big fat prize, like a week's worth of studio time in a nice place, some cash or music gear, and a spot on the opening bill of a big Timberwolf concert, and more bands would be interested. The locations would be important. Have the prelims and early stages in PKI's small venues in the evenings, and then when it gets down to the last 4, move it to the Timberwolf with full PA powered up behind the bands. Have the bands do 30 minute sets in the semifinals one day, and then 45 minutes to an hour in the finals the next. With some careful planning, good execution, and some of that PKI PR and marketing magic, it could be a success.