Andrew's TR 5/22/09

Hoeter

I wasn't originally planning to take a trip to KI today, but since I was in the area I wanted to get my coaster fix in. Today was probably one of the best days I've ever had at the park. I rode five rollercoasters that I have never been on before and after tonight, I have ridden all of the coasters at Kings Island. I arrived about 4:45pm and found that the parking lot wasn't crowded like it was on Opening Day.

First ride of the day was The Beast. Whenever I go to Kings Island, I always ride The Beast first. I was hoping for a trimless ride on The Beast but that sadly did not happen. It was running very rough today, much rougher than when I rode it twice on Opening Day. Wait time was about 20 minutes.

Next was Backlot Stunt Coaster. This is my first ride on it this season and was a nice cool down from The Beast. Wait time 15 minutes.

After these two, I decided to hit up the rollercoasters I have never been on. I started with Vortex. Rode it in 5-1 and enjoyed the ride, but the midcourse brake slows you down to a crawl and the rest of the ride is very slow. Wait time was 15 minutes.

After this, I decided to hit up Flight of Fear. This ride was pretty cool, and being in near darkness added to the excitement. My only complaint with the ride is that the midcourse brake stops you completely. Waited about 25 minutes for this ride.

Following Flight of Fear, I decided to check out Blue Racer. I rode it once last season, and didn't get a chance to do it again later in the season as it was closed. Gotta love a John Allen coaster! Red side beat us this time around. Walk on for this ride.

After Blue Racer, I headed over to Action Zone and checked out Son of Beast. This ride was very rough...even more so than Daddy. I enjoyed the ride, but it was so doggone rough that I was complaining when the ride was over. Wait time for this ride was 15 minutes.

Next up was Diamondback. I was going to ride this Opening Day but the line was very long. I tried out the test seat, got the green light, and went into the single rider line. Got to the station, and got row 8 on the green train. Captain Nemo was working the microphone tonight. I have to tell you, that first drop is amazing and I loved the airtime that I got from it. Even in row 8, I got some mist from the splashdown. Wait time using the single rider line was 15 minutes.

After Diamondback, I went to Invertigo. Rode towards the back of the train and had a good time. Wait time was 20 minutes.

Finally, I got my first night ride of the season on The Beast. Got into line just before 10 and the fireworks started shortly after I joined the line. The all-clear was issued and I was on in 10 minutes. Can't beat a night ride on the world's longest wooden rollercoaster.

All in all, I rode five rollercoasters that I have never ridden before: Vortex, Flight of Fear, Son of Beast, Diamondback, and Invertigo.

This was one of the best days I've ever had at Kings Island and can't wait to go up there and do them again!

I have four comments to make, and half of KIC can probably predict most of them.

1. It's wonderful to have someone that shares my opinions of the mid-courses of the rides.

2. A trimless ride on The Beast is my most desired experience in the world, and will likely never happen.

3. Son of Beast is always rougher than The Beast, but the rose bowl helix is the only part that I find to be rough - afterward, it's trimmed to a crawl except on very rare occasions that do happen.

4. You and I share a tradition in starting with The Beast, and I also make sure to end there, because I have to agree that nothing beats a night ride on the world's longest wooden roller coaster.

I think I may have had a trimless ride on The Beast last season. Went on a Tuesday, got on right after rope drop, and didn't feel the brakes slow the train down going into the second tunnel and going into the helix. I would love to experience The Beast like this again, it's a totally different ride experience!