Kings Island 5-31-12

ohiocolts

Ok so, I took my 3rd visit to KI today after school, kind of to celebrate that it was the last day of school. It was much more crowded than I expected, so i decided to stay away from the low capcity rides of Flight of Fear, Firehawk, Backlot Stunt Coaster, and Invertigo. So first we drove from school with me, my friend, and my mom and sister. This was mentioned in the Metal Detectors topic, there was now a fence along the path of the former metal detectors, there was a small entrance, where there is tabels you go through to check the bags. I missed the open space. So we got in, and my sister couldn't stay to long, and wanted to ride Viking Fury. Just a reminder, if you read my last trip report, my mom and sister are a little dumb sometimes, because they go in a zig-zag formation. (like going from Flight Deck to The Beast then to Drop Tower) So we waited for a cycle to end, then rode Viking Fury, fun little ride, and my sister wanted to go on The Beast. The line was a lot worse then I was expecting for today. They had most of the 2nd queue house open (the one by the stairs leading up to the station) and just the little switchback sending you into the 1st queue house, which was not being used. Luckily, the line moved decently, and it was a 30 minute wait. A great classic ride, as usual. It was almost time to go for my sister to leave, and she wanted a ride on Zephyr. So we walked onto to there and had a nice litte ride. Then it was time for them to go and me and my friend met up with his mom, who was in Planet Snoopy with my friends little brother and sister. We just said hi and to meet at Larosas at 5. (They like to eat pizza here). So me and my friend decided to head to Diamondback. There was about 70% of the switchbacks opened in the first main queue. We waited about 35 minutes and boarded. Rode towards the back and had a nice ride, as always. It was almost 5, so we met up with my friends mom and little brother and siser. We paid $24 for a whole pizza and used my pass to scan for FUNperks. :D When we were done, my friend wanted to ride WindSeeker, and I kind of did too. It was my first visit this year it was open. The line was pretty short and only a 2 cycle, about 5 minute wait. We boarded, and saw the long lines. Great ride as usual. I then wanted to do Vortex, but my friend said I could go ahead and ride, because last time was not very good for him. The line was kind of long, but do to the great capacity of Vortex, was only about 25 minues. The switchbacks in the station were being used (1 side of it). I went into row 5-1, because I read from KIC it is the best. The ride is better in 5-1, but still a little bumpy, but definetley tolerable. We then headed to The Racer, which only had red operating today. The wait was about 5 minutes. Nice, kind of bumpy ride. We then walked over to Adventure Express. It was a walk on, and there were quite a few empty rows. It was nice seeing all the theming working properly. When we got back, and saw nobody in the row, we thought what the heck, let's stay on! We did, and then we went off to meet up with my friends mom in Planet Snoopy. they get Ice Cream a lot here, so I did that. When we were done, there was about 20 minutes until the park closed, so me and my friend decided to get a last ride on Diamondback. The line was a little shorter than last time, but not much. It was about a 25 minute wait. Rode in the back row, and put my arms back for the splashdown so they would get wet. Fun ride, and seems more thrilling in the back row. By that time, it was about 8:10, and the park was closed. A nice day at Kings Island.

A couple notes:

*I did not see Invertigo operating today. I didn't spend any time in Action Zone, so it may have operated, but I did not see it if it did.

*A bit bummed about the new style of metal detectors

*I got home, checked my FUNperks, and saw I was offered a choice of 3 rewards, a cotton candy, popcorn, or Thunder Alley ride.

Thanks for reading!

Great trip report!

New style of metal detectors? I haven't seen them yet. I picture the rectangular walk-through ones with SGs using "wands" to augment them. Are the new ones more invasive/time consuming? I hope not. :unsure:

-Tb, who has come to hate traveling b/c of certain, progressively more stringent security practices...