Dining at Disney

Just talked to my wife, who is way more knowledgable about WDW than me. Her notes:

- Get as many two-credit restaurants as you want. You get so much food under this plan that you probably won't want three table services each day! So don't waste them.

- Her restaurant suggestions:

- California Grill (as others noted, just keep checking back, they open up)

- Bistro d Paris (Epcot, France area)

- Raglan Road (Downtown Disney)

- Wolfgang Puck (Downtown Disney)

- Yachtsman Steakhouse (Beach Club)

Her snacking suggestions:

- Writer's Stop (Studios; very quiet, almost hidden)

- Starring Rolls (Studios, completely overindulgent cupcakes)

- Aloha Isle (MK, gotta get the Dole Whip!)

- Patisserie (Epcot, France)

Again, let us know of any questions. We can talk Disney all day. :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's the reservations I just made:

Tuesday 9/4:

-- Dinner: Jiko — The Cooking Place

Wednesday 9/5:

-- Breakfast: Cinderella's Royal Table

-- Lunch: The Crystal Palace

Thursday 9/6:

-- Dinner: California Grill (yep, I found an opening)

Saturday 9/8:

-- Lunch: Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater

-- Dinner: The Hollywood Brown Derby

Any other suggestions? I need to leave all day Monday and Tuesday morning open, as I found out that by pure coincidence my mother (who I don't see often) will be at WDW the same week for a church conference and those are her free time where we could meet up and spend some time with each other. I don't want to have too much of my vacation pre-planned, but I'm open to suggestions for something else that I missed.

I also have another question: there is a dress code for some of the Signature Restaurants. It's listed as thus:

Men: Dress slacks, jeans, trousers, or dress shorts, short- or long-sleeved shirt with a collar or t-shirt required. Jackets are optional.

Not permitted: tank tops, swimsuits or swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut offs, torn clothing of any kind, or t-shirts with

offensive language and/or graphics.

Are athletic-type shorts considered acceptable? That's what I normally wear at parks. They're not listed as permitted or not permitted. I can bring a pair of jeans if necessary, but considering how much space they would take up in my suitcase, I'd rather not if I don't have to. Anyone here know or should I call WDW?

With the exception of the most obvious apparel (i.e.: thongs, bikini tops, whacky tabaccy leaf t-shirt, etc.) I have not seen a dress code enforced.

I honestly don't see how they could on a consistant basis. There are so many different walks of life, on vacation, most with a meal plan, it would be practically impossible without causing a daily scene.

If you dress park appropriate, there should not be a problem.

A little closer checking shows that only the Signature Restaurants located at resorts have the dress code. The ones inside theme parks or at Downtown Disney do not.

Anyway, I took a look inside my closet and found the pair of dress slacks that's been missing for who knows how long. Those won't take up as much space as jeans, so I'll just pack those and a couple of collared golf shirts that I normally use for bowling so I won't have any problems.

A little closer checking shows that only the Signature Restaurants located at resorts have the dress code. The ones inside theme parks or at Downtown Disney do not.

Anyway, I took a look inside my closet and found the pair of dress slacks that's been missing for who knows how long. Those won't take up as much space as jeans, so I'll just pack those and a couple of collared golf shirts that I normally use for bowling so I won't have any problems.

I'm surprised DTD signature restaurants do not have a dress code. When is your trip? Maybe Splitssville will be open at DTD.

I'm surprised DTD signature restaurants do not have a dress code. When is your trip? Maybe Splitssville will be open at DTD.

I was a bit surprised about that as well, but the PDF linked in the third post of this thread lists which ones have the dress code at the bottom of the last page. The Disney portion of my trip is September 3–9. I don't see any restaurant by that name in the reservation system. What is it?

Splitsville is the new bowling alley that will open at DTD sometime in the fall..not in time for your visit at last report...it will be in the former building where the Virgin Megastore was once located. It will offer upscale food along with bowling. It is a chain--not owned by Disney. As far as dress codes, theme park wear is ok for everyplace except Victoria and Alberts in the Floridian--that is Disney's highest end place, not covered by the dining plan and jackets for men and dresses for women are required. If you're staying onsite, I know that some reservations are held back for resort guests, so ask the hotel concierge for help if you're at a Disney hotel (any of them).

For food, the Benihana-type place at Japan in Epcot was quite good as well.

• Like 2

Just be careful with the reservations as Disney now charges for no shows and late cancellations (within 24-48 hours I think) at some of its restaurants. Epcot in the fall has the International Wine and Food Festival which is spread out all across the world showcase and runs for about 6 weeks...it's very popular and worth checking out because they offer food that isnt available at any other time of the year from lots of countries not permanently represented at Epcot,