CP via Pittsburgh - 6/8-6/11 2014

Bennett

We left the house at 5:45 am Sunday morning, already having made peace with the fact that we would not be checking into Hotel Breakers that afternoon. Found a $50 room at Knights Inn, hoping that the day after Bike Week would find the place cleaned up and in working order.

Made it into downtown Pittsburgh around 11am. Got smack dab in the middle of a charity walk across the Roberto Clemente bridge. When in Rome, they say...what a party atmosphere around PNC Park, even at 11 in the morning on a Sunday. Being a native Cincinnati guy, I must say that I was very, very impressed with the downtown Pittsburgh area, and what they have done with the ballpark area. Far better atmosphere than GABP, better sight lines in the stadium, especially from the concourse behind home plate.

My daughter wore her AJ Green jersey, and a Reds hat, whilst I sported a Reds t-shirt. Expected the worst, but only got some good natured heckling. Met some great fans. Made it to our seats in right field, heckled Ryan Braun a bunch, watched a boring 1-0 game, made our way back to the car. Easy to get into, and easy to get out of downtown. On our way to Sandusky!

Checked into the Knights Inn a little after 7pm. Talked to the nice lady behind the counter for a while, who confirmed that the hotel was dead, they were looking forward to catching their breath after Bike Week, as they were booked solid until that Sunday. This place is not the Ritz, but very clean, very good value for the money.

Checked out Monday morning at 6:45, made it to the front gate of CP at 7:02am. Made it to the parking lot of Hotel Breakers at 7:20 am. Front doors opened at 8am, but we figured that beating the throng back to the lot would be a good idea, and boy, did that turn out to be right on the money. Never in my life have I seen a line so long to check into a hotel than what was in that lobby at 8:15 that morning. Felt bad for the people getting their tickets and ERT passes. Having our platinum passes, we figured we would come back at lunch time. Tailgated in the parking lot with coffee, Dr. Pepper, and donuts until 8:45.

First ride of the day was Gatekeeper. Front row, right side. A fun ride, not too forceful. Found it to be a far, far better ride from the back, which, as we would find out, would be a running theme at CP. Next, off to Raptor. 20 years old, and, it shows. I would put it as if B&M and Arrow had a baby, and had an inverted coaster that would box your ears, it would be Raptor. Rode it once, will never ride it again. Just beat me up. Neat to see, though, the upgrades from that to Banshee, and what a night and day difference the rides really are.

Next off to Millenium Force. Having read "millenium forceless" forever, wanted to find out for myself. Front row ride. Shirts up over the nose, up the hill we went. Up the hill we stopped...then, up and over, though at a far slower speed. Decent ride, though seemed "slow". That was right. Rode immediately again, as they let us thru without walking around, back row this time. One train wait, danced to the "house" music, and, off we went. All I can say it, anyone who calls that ride forceless has not ridden in the back row. I can see why it has been ranked #1 for so many years. Superb.

Next, off to Maverick. First half of the ride, was very enjoyable. Second half, after the shot thru the tunnel, beat me to death. My neck STILL hurts...of course, we did ride it a few more times. and, the second half still beats you up pretty good. Better restraints would make that ride really, really fun.

TTD was down at 10am, which would be a running theme for two full days. Talked to one of the workers in line Tues night for a good half hour, he was curious how I knew about the Rec Hall riot...lol. Very nice young man. After 4 times trying to ride TTD, and having it break down, sometimes 5 minutes into a wait, sometimes 20 minutes into a wait. Shame the thing is so darn unreliable, as it is a super fun ride.

Did a turn on Magnum XL, Gemini, and the Lake Erie Eagles, then, made the walk to the front desk to check in. No wait, were able to get right into our room on the first floor of Bon Air at 11:15 am. Frankly, made the rest of that day easy to breathe. Clean room, perfect for our needs. People compain about the price, as you are paying triple retail. But, tell me. Where else can you stay where you can walk from your room, and in 5 minutes, be at the beach, at the pool, in the hot tub, in the park, on in Soak City? Nowhere. That is what you are paying for, the convenience. Not having to get into the car from 7am Monday until 11am Weds is the way to go.

As far as the old favorites go,

I enjoyed Gemini very, very much. If only Arrow could have made all their rides so smooth.

Magnum XL-200 is not my cup of tea. Only good part is the 200 foot lifthill. Rough as can be. Rode it to say I rode it. Typical rough Arrow ride.

Iron Dragon is a cool little ride, The Bat is far better, ID is just in a far better location.

Corkscrew, what can I say. A classic. Short, sweet, typical Arrow ride, didn't beat me up as much as I thought it would, but not enough speed to really do that.

Cedar Creek Mine is a neat, old ride.

Blue Streak is perfect. Like half of our Racer, but better somehow.

Wicked Twister was great. Not a fan usually of that type ride, but the pure speed is great, the twists up are incredible. Far better than what I thought it would be.

Mean Streak was, truthfully, a far better ride than I thought. Rough, but just the right kind of rough. Walked on that ride for two days straight. Ride gets no love, but I enjoyed it very much.

Did two of the three water rides, every time we were dressed and ready to ride, Shoot The Rapids was down. Both enjoyable, one better than Congo Falls, while Whitewater Canyon wins that battle.

Last, Mantis. First stand up ride I've ridden since King Cobra. Enjoyable, restraint system is uncomfortable for a 6'6" guy.

All in all, was a really neat experience to see all the different rides, some that were precursors to far better ride designs.

I must say, though, that Banshee as a whole beats anything that Cedar Point has to offer, with the exception of Millenium Force. Quantity and atmosphere, CP wins the day. Great park to take a two day visit, where you can relax at the hotel/pool for an hour between riding sessions.

• Like 3

Great report!

But, tell me. Where else can you stay where you can walk from your room, and in 5 minutes, be at the beach, at the pool, in the hot tub, in the park, on in Soak City? Nowhere. That is what you are paying for, the convenience. Not having to get into the car from 7am Monday until 11am Weds is the way to go.

This. This is why I stay at Hotel Breakers and only Hotel Breakers when I go to Cedar Point. Y'all can keep your cheap motel rooms on the mainland. I want the convenience.

Magnum XL-200 is not my cup of tea. Only good part is the 200 foot lifthill. Rough as can be. Rode it to say I rode it. Typical rough Arrow ride.

I agree, but you're going to catch quite a bit of flak on here for saying that.

• Like 1

Great report!

But, tell me. Where else can you stay where you can walk from your room, and in 5 minutes, be at the beach, at the pool, in the hot tub, in the park, on in Soak City? Nowhere. That is what you are paying for, the convenience. Not having to get into the car from 7am Monday until 11am Weds is the way to go.

This. This is why I stay at Hotel Breakers and only Hotel Breakers when I go to Cedar Point. Y'all can keep your cheap motel rooms on the mainland. I want the convenience.

I agree, but you're going to catch quite a bit of flak on here for saying that.

Hoped I would enjoy it. Just not my cup of tea. I guess I'm too old to enjoy being jostled around. I figured that a tall, fast Arrow, minus the loops would be smoother. Even the bunny hills were rough.

• Like 1

Great trip report!

Don't sit on the wheel seats on Magnum! I would love CP to remove Magnum for a B&M hyper. Yes, i said it! Diamondback smokes Magnum!

On Maverick, you need to grab the shoulder restraints as you normally would, but turn your hands so they are on the inside of the shoulder straps and push out while you ride, if that makes sense. Your review of the ride will be different after you do that! I wish they would just take the shoulder restraint off and leave the lap bar as is. Maverick is just a fast, out of control, great roller coaster! "The West was never this Wild!" ;)

You summed up staying Hotel Breakers perfectly! If KI had a hotel inside the park, we would be all over it. I'm spoiled at Cedar Point!

Banshee is better than Raptor, but certainly not Maverick! ;) Banshee's restraints rub and dig into my shoulders, even though the vest doesn't tighten.

I don't understand the Millennium Forceless comments either. Haters gunna hate! It needs to warm up like every coaster. Ride it in the afternoon/evening and compare it to the morning rides....night and day experience!

Gatekeeper is definitely running better than last year!

Did you ride SkyHawk or MaXair? Dragster is having a bad start to the season. I haven't seen it this bad in a few years! I have yet to ride it this year in 3 visits.

Great trip report!

Don't sit on the wheel seats on Magnum! I would love CP to remove Magnum for a B&M hyper. Yes, i said it! Diamondback smokes Magnum!

On Maverick, you need to grab the shoulder restraints as you normally would, but turn your hands so they are on the inside of the shoulder straps and push out while you ride, if that makes sense. Your review of the ride will be different after you do that! I wish they would just take the shoulder restraint off and leave the lap bar as is. Maverick is just a fast, out of control, great roller coaster! "The West was never this Wild!" ;)

You summed up staying Hotel Breakers perfectly! If KI had a hotel inside the park, we would be all over it. I'm spoiled at Cedar Point!

Banshee is better than Raptor, but certainly not Maverick! ;) Banshee's restraints rub and dig into my shoulders, even though the vest doesn't tighten.

I don't understand the Millennium Forceless comments either. Haters gunna hate! It needs to warm up like every coaster. Ride it in the afternoon/evening and compare it to the morning rides....night and day experience!

Gatekeeper is definitely running better than last year!

Did you ride SkyHawk or MaXair? Dragster is having a bad start to the season. I haven't seen it this bad in a few years! I have yet to ride it this year in 3 visits.

I did that, all four rides on Maverick. I'm a big, strong guy, but after the first half, it was impossible to control the last half of beating and banging.

I did like the ride very much, just hate the restraints.