FLASH: SeaWorld To END Orca Breeding, Phase Out Shows

This newly-posted FAQ about changes at SeaWorld seems refreshingly, brutally candid.

https://seaworldcares.com/en/2016/03/Answering-The-Questions-You-are-Asking-About-SeaWorlds-Future/

For example:

Why did SeaWorld decide to make this the last generation of orcas or killer whales?  

This was a very difficult decision.  We love our whales and so do our guests. But, we faced a huge paradox. Whales are a reason why people come to SeaWorld. But it is also a growing reason why they don’t.  More and more people are uncomfortable with these very large and majestic animals in environments that they perceive as not big enough.  Evolution and change have always been part of SeaWorld, and this is no different.  As society changes, we need to change with it. 

Other questions address what the future of SeaWorld may look like (Dolphins? Sea lions?) and why the Blue World project is officially cancelled. 

• Like 6

I'm notorious for sitting on the fence with regards to social issues, and this is no exception. I've heard both sides of the argument -- the "Sea World has done a great service for marine biologists by allowing us to study orcas more closely in a manner that is safe for the animals" side and the "what Sea World does is torture" side -- and I honestly don't know what to believe. Bottom line though is the numbers don't lie, and double digit losses for that many consecutive quarters means change needs to be made. The court of public opinion is what matters and they have spoken with their wallets.

And yes, fried okra is awesome.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

SeaWorld is basically ridding themselves of what made them famous.  The orcas are what people came for, and are what people fall in love with.

Heck, even on the sign outside SeaWorld Orlando, there are orcas.  This is a not only a business move, but a MAJOR rebrand for the park's image.

And Manby seems to be working his butt off to get the company where it should be.

Sometimes I wish people would cut them some slack.

• Like 3

"Cut them some slack"

What have they done yet to deserve any slack being cut?  Their actions too this point have spoken much louder than their words and anyone thinking SeaWorld is getting rid of Orcas because it is now the right thing to do, are kidding themselves.  Remember they didn't make this decision until stock hit the floor and attendance dramatically decreased.  

I truly believe this is decision to help attendance bounce back over the next few years and in about 10-15 years SEAS hopes the general public forgot BlackFish and the feelings it created, at which point they can reverse their course and introduce a new Orca experience/show and start the breeding program again.  Remember it will take 20-30 years for all of their Orcas to die off, I imagine they are going to ride out the storm and start again in 10-15 years

"What have they done yet to deserve any slack being cut?"

Oh, I don't know, maybe rescued and rehabbed over 25,000 animals.

I'm left curious about how the rescue and rehab department will be funded now. That division of Seaworld was constantly shoving seals and turtles into the ocean. Without the park bringing in revenue, how long will they still be able to do that?

• Like 4

• 8 months later...