Fathers Day, and a long-dreamed-of Trip to Kings Island

Thrill_Biscuit

For years, my Dad had desired going, once again, to Kings Island, that magnificent, world-renowned park that put our hometown on the map.  He had gone a few times in the 70s and 80s, and the last time we went together was in 2009.  At almost 78 years of age, facing down what could be frightening health challenges, the stoic Air Force and Army veteran and retired steel-forger joined me for a memorable walk through this evermore amazing park of "ours."

20160619_120124.jpg

We walked the entire park (well, the dry side) and put over 10,000 steps on our health apps!

20160619_094214.jpg

I've always bragged about Dinosaurs Alive!, so after a brief stop at Starbucks, we headed to the exhibit.

20160619_104002.jpg

"Is this animatronic going to give Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?" (a little Disney humor... ;) )

20160619_114542.jpg

In all seriousness, Dad was so awestruck by the magnitude of the exhibit, that he was compelled to call home and brag to my Uncle Jim.

20160619_121842.jpg

We of course rode the Kings Island Miami Valley Railroad, and he was overjoyed at the experience he so longed for over the decades.

20160619_123215.jpg

After years of bragging about it, I finally gave Dad a few pointers on the fine art of White Water Canyon Geyser splashing. He mastered it in only a few tries, and in this shot, that column of water emerging from the blue cannon would ultimately, thoroughly drench each and every passenger of that "doomed" boat.

We then enjoyed "Jump," the Dog Show at the International Showplace (although, to the gasps of the audience, one dog, after committing a back flip appeared to visibly injure one of his back legs, but kept on with the show, tail wagging). The dog's apparent "limp" quickly went away, and the rest of the show went off without a hitch. We thought it was an interesting little show, but I wanted him to see the "Cadillac..."

The 3:00 performance of Origins was so amazing, so flawless (okay, the Juggler lost one ball), but the new routines (the WOW that is the ring/hoop performer, and the new side-view, human trapeze act blended with the acrobats) brought tears to my eyes, literally! It was just very well-done and the packed house went nuts! My dad couldn't stop talking about how cool everything was (this was the first "non-concert" live stage show he's seen since the mid 1950's!) Stunned amazement, and pride in this wonderful park for having such a great show!  ... and in his classy, sharp-minded way, he walked over to the technician at the "booth," and gave him props for his work on the sound (and whatever else he runs from that console)... to which the guy was very grateful!

This was a very sweet, precious day, and I don't really know how else to sum up the emotions of it.  Thanks for letting me share it here.  Happy Fathers' Day. See y'all in the park.  :) -Tb

• Like 25