Thoughts on PKI

Jasper

I just wanted to hear everybody's thoughts on PKI. I think that PKI is one of the best praks around and it will be there through most of our lifetimes. They have great roller coasters. A #1 kids area and some great places to eat. I hope i get to ride IJ:ST this year too. Overall i love pki it is a one-of-a-kind experience.

I have been going to Kings Island since before I can remember. My mom has a picture of me at 1 year old at KI. She said I poo'd when I first saw Scooby up close and personal. That was in 1980. Since then I've been going every year and loving it. I have to admit that once Paramount took over I've seen lots of changes that I like and some that I don't like. Not just the way the park is handled ride and policy-wise, but I felt the atmosphere changed from a park that kind of had a Coney Island independent feel, to a park that was the showpiece of a corporate chain. I still have lots of fun there, but I'm a harsh critic of the park as well. Especially since my first trip to Cedar Point in 1995. Since then I have had a park up to Kings Island's caliber that I could compare it to. I have no shame in saying that I like Cedar Point more than Kings Island. Kings Island is my home park and I always get season passes there, but Cedar Point is just more "my kind of park". I like themed rides alright, but I like the traditional amusement park feel more than the theme park feel. At least if I want to enjoy a park multiple times in a season, themes can get boring for me, but thrills do not. I just believe Cedar Point is catered more to my likes. I know when I have children I'll have more fun at PKI because I'll be able to utilize the kids area and have fun watching them have fun. But I'm a grown up, so the fact that PKI has the best kids area out of all parkdom doesn't really do anything for me at the moment. But I still love the park. I still get excited when driving up 741 and cresting the hills and getting a glimpse of the tower and SOB and Drop Zone on the drive. Or when just driving on I-75 by Trader's World and looking out East and trying to spot the Eiffel Tower still gets me hyped up and makes me wish I was over there at the park. Anyway, those are my thoughts on PKI. I'm kind of complex about the park. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I wish I could slap it around, but I'll always go back. smile.gif

I have been going to Kings Island since before I can remember. My mom has a picture of me at 1 year old at KI. She said I poo'd when I first saw Scooby up close and personal. That was in 1980. Since then I've been going every year and loving it. I have to admit that once Paramount took over I've seen lots of changes that I like and some that I don't like. Not just the way the park is handled ride and policy-wise, but I felt the atmosphere changed from a park that kind of had a Coney Island independent feel, to a park that was the showpiece of a corporate chain. I still have lots of fun there, but I'm a harsh critic of the park as well. Especially since my first trip to Cedar Point in 1995. Since then I have had a park up to Kings Island's caliber that I could compare it to. I have no shame in saying that I like Cedar Point more than Kings Island. Kings Island is my home park and I always get season passes there, but Cedar Point is just more "my kind of park". I like themed rides alright, but I like the traditional amusement park feel more than the theme park feel. At least if I want to enjoy a park multiple times in a season, themes can get boring for me, but thrills do not. I just believe Cedar Point is catered more to my likes. I know when I have children I'll have more fun at PKI because I'll be able to utilize the kids area and have fun watching them have fun. But I'm a grown up, so the fact that PKI has the best kids area out of all parkdom doesn't really do anything for me at the moment. But I still love the park. I still get excited when driving up 741 and cresting the hills and getting a glimpse of the tower and SOB and Drop Zone on the drive. Or when just driving on I-75 by Trader's World and looking out East and trying to spot the Eiffel Tower still gets me hyped up and makes me wish I was over there at the park. Anyway, those are my thoughts on PKI. I'm kind of complex about the park. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I wish I could slap it around, but I'll always go back.  smile.gif

I share some of these sentiments. Honestly, life isn't bad having a park like this less than a half hour away from home. I think there are people who'd kill to have a park like PKI near them! Even if I seem to like Cedar Point slightly more, it's nice to live in the greater Cincinnati area and have a good large park near home. Northern Ohio (outside the metro areas) can get kind of boring in the off-season.

My mom has a picture of me at 1 year old at KI. She said I poo'd when I first saw Scooby up close and personal. That was in 1980.

Did you just say what I think you said?

I have been going to Kings Island since before I can remember. My mom has a picture of me at 1 year old at KI. She said I poo'd when I first saw Scooby up close and personal. That was in 1980. Since then I've been going every year and loving it. I have to admit that once Paramount took over I've seen lots of changes that I like and some that I don't like. Not just the way the park is handled ride and policy-wise, but I felt the atmosphere changed from a park that kind of had a Coney Island independent feel, to a park that was the showpiece of a corporate chain. I still have lots of fun there, but I'm a harsh critic of the park as well. Especially since my first trip to Cedar Point in 1995. Since then I have had a park up to Kings Island's caliber that I could compare it to. I have no shame in saying that I like Cedar Point more than Kings Island. Kings Island is my home park and I always get season passes there, but Cedar Point is just more "my kind of park". I like themed rides alright, but I like the traditional amusement park feel more than the theme park feel. At least if I want to enjoy a park multiple times in a season, themes can get boring for me, but thrills do not. I just believe Cedar Point is catered more to my likes. I know when I have children I'll have more fun at PKI because I'll be able to utilize the kids area and have fun watching them have fun. But I'm a grown up, so the fact that PKI has the best kids area out of all parkdom doesn't really do anything for me at the moment. But I still love the park. I still get excited when driving up 741 and cresting the hills and getting a glimpse of the tower and SOB and Drop Zone on the drive. Or when just driving on I-75 by Trader's World and looking out East and trying to spot the Eiffel Tower still gets me hyped up and makes me wish I was over there at the park. Anyway, those are my thoughts on PKI. I'm kind of complex about the park. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I wish I could slap it around, but I'll always go back.  smile.gif

I share some of these sentiments. Honestly, life isn't bad having a park like this less than a half hour away from home. I think there are people who'd kill to have a park like PKI near them! Even if I seem to like Cedar Point slightly more, it's nice to live in the greater Cincinnati area and have a good large park near home. Northern Ohio (outside the metro areas) can get kind of boring in the off-season.

My mom has a picture of me at 1 year old at KI. She said I poo'd when I first saw Scooby up close and personal. That was in 1980.

Did you just say what I think you said?

Poo'd???????

The first time I went to PKI was in '87, the year Vortex opened. I was only 7 years old, and Vortex was the first big rollercoaster I ever rode. I've been going to the park ever sense and have had a season pass sense '88. I also do feel the park changed a little when Paramount took over in 1993. But some good things came out of this too though. I also even had the chance to be employed by KI from the '99 thru 01' Seasons. But I still KI is still one of the best theme parks in the mid-west.

I love going to PKI, Great rides, and the food in B&B greatly improved over the year before, But there is room for improvment there also, I've never ate the fried chicken in the picnic area, But the way it smells when you walk by wouldn't hurt adding it to the menu. Got to be better than the strawberry salad they had at B&B

the year before.

You know, I already started a post a few days ago so every one can share why they think PKI is good. Thanks for steeling the post!

Well, yours is about why PKI is "great", while this is one is just thoughts about PKI. It's a little more broad and allows one to post more than just praises. Some people may have negative opinions to post about the park as well. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I love PKI with all of my heart. Sure, we can sit here and bicker about which is better CP or PKI. In my opinion it's CP. But how awesome is it that we have two parks of this caliber to argue about? Kings Island is an awesome park. Although we don't have a B&M. We do still have a pretty decent selection of coasters. We have the best kids area in the land, and some of the best flats around. And honestly, isn't it great to have rides themed after movies that aren't Disney or Universal? I don't believe I've ever poo'd my pants at Ki, but I have been going there all of my life and it gets better everytime. Kings Island also provided me with my first job, and being from Dayton, it was a job that not everyone else was doing. So when I would say "I work at Kings Island" I would always get the "COOL!" "That must be fun!" and of course the "Can you get me a free season pass?"...No! I cannot. But anywho, my job at King Island did a lot for me. It gave me the oppourtunity to advance and the chance to become a better leader. I've learned a lot about myself and others working there, and I've made lots of life long friends. Kings Island also helped me decide what I want to do in life. I am very thankul to the park for that, and PKI will always be my first love (although CP is more fun rolleyes.gif )

In my opinion, both KI and CP have great and not so great qualities. KI has the theme and family thing going... but CP has the thrill and adult thing going. So both are graet in their own ways, but I don't think one is better than the other. I love PKI, and enjoy going to Cedar Point as well, but I just don't think of which one is better or worse....just be glad they are there. cowboy.gif