Gatorland Catches Fire

Gatorland fire burns attraction

Beth Kassab

Sentinel Staff Writer

Published November 6, 2006, 2:45 PM CST

A fire that broke out early this morning at Gatorland has been mostly contained by firefighters, but a dwarf crocodile and two pythons died, and the signature gator-mouth entrance has been charred black by the blaze.

Other alligators and creatures at the 110-acre alligator theme park and preserve in Orange County are fine, the attraction's curator said. There is some debris from the fire in the lake that they will try to clean up.

Gatorland officials are hoping they can reopen the 57-year-old attraction in a week or so, perhaps by creating an alternate entrance on the other side of the park. The roof collapsed over the main part of the building, but the show venues and food and beverage areas were not harmed in the fire.

President Mark McHugh says it could be a year before a new gift shop and ticket center is built, but he's planning to get the park open to tourists again in the near future.

"Gatorland will come back stronger," Gatorland spokeswoman Michelle Harris said.

Orange County Fire Rescue spokeswoman Marianne Nuckles said emergency officials received a call at 5:55 a.m. reporting smoke and flames at the park.

Tim Williams, 55, Gatorland's "Dean of Gator Wrestling, said Gatorland's gift shop, administrative and marketing offices are "pretty much not going to be of service to anyone again." He said earlier this morning that the smoke was so thick he could not see any of the fire equipment. Williams has been with the attraction for more than 30 years, training the attraction's gators.

"I know we are probably going to lose the structure," he said. "It is a very old building. Once those old buildings go, they go."

But he did say that Gatorland is resilient and will get itself together and have a "new look to it."

Earlier, officials reported that two dwarf alligators were killed in the blaze, but one now appears to be alive, says a park spokeswoman.

The crocodile, known as Mr. O, was housed with a second crocodile in the retail shop area that was destroyed by the blaze. The debris was so extensive around their habitat that a Gatorland curator said the two were dead earlier today after she was allowed inside to check on the animals.

However, spokeswoman Michelle Harris said Mr. O appears to have submerged himself under water and was able to survive the blaze. He is now being moved to safer territory. It wasn't until this afternoon, Harris said, that Gatorland employees were able to get a close enough look at him.

"It is a miracle that he is alive," Harris said. "We're so excited." .

Copyright © 2006, Orlando Sentinel

Link to the complete story with video

Gatorland Fire Story

Yeah, I'm in Orlando right now and when I turned on the TV news this morning that was the breaking story...Gatorland was on fire. The flames were actually shooting out of the gator entrance's mouth!

However, they're saying on the local Orlando news that two gators and two boa constrictors were killed in the fire...

Guest kwindshawne

Yeah, I'm in Orlando right now and when I turned on the TV news this morning that was the breaking story...Gatorland was on fire. The flames were actually shooting out of the gator entrance's mouth!

However, they're saying on the local Orlando news that two gators and two boa constrictors were killed in the fire...

:(

jzarley; So you made it? Hope the conference isn’t to boring. Well are we going to get a trip report with a park included in it? I hope so. Have a great trip and stay away from the TV especially the news down there, it’s so depressing.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be too exciting of a trip report...I spent most of the time at conference sessions. By the time the day's sessions were over it was 5:00p and getting dark! (There were some really good sessions, however :D )

I did make it over to Downtown Disney a few times, and had dinner one night at Columbia in Celebration. But, other than that, the conference might as well have been in Cleveland! <G>

It was my first time staying at Coronado Springs...pretty nice convention facility. The hotel was ok, as far as Disney "moderate" resorts go. The whole resort is HUGE (not necessarily in # rooms, but in pure acreage...you can do quite a bit of walking around that place.)