The Mall

pilotank

Is there any chance of Coney re-doing The Mall back to it's original style?

All the main buildings such as Moonlite Gardens to anchor it, the

Cafeteria, Rides Building and La Rosa's outline the original Mall.

It would bring back memories and definitely upgrade the aesthetics.

See:http://history.amusement-parks.com/ohioconey.htm

It wouldn't be as large because of Riverbend, but could be just as nice!

pilotank

Its safe to say that Coney`s original mall will not be returning any time soon. Yes, Moonlite Gardens, Moonlite Pavilion, and the LaRosa`s restaurant across from the Dodgems line what was the original mall. The old Cafeteria is now used as the park`s maintenance building (as well as restrooms for the picnic grove).

There are many rides which reside on the former mall, including the Dodgems, Famous Fairways mini golf, Tilt-A-Whirl, Scream Machine and the Carousel. And this year, the Giant Slide will be located next to the Tilt A Whirl on another part of the old mall, approximately where the old Shooting Star station used to reside.

The east end of the mall can never be redeveloped by Coney as it once was, because that is now part of the Riverbend Music Center complex.

However, back in the 60's, The Wildcat roller coaster actually took up the eastern most

portion of the mall. It wasn't extended until the Wildcat was demolished and the Skyride

was added. Also, rides can be moved. Your aerial photo's actually show how much

Coney needs to do something aesthetic with that space. Flowers, hedges, trees

and sod has always been the hallmark of Coney. Not to mention cheaper than rides.

pilotank

Have you ever visited Coney before since 1990, when rides began to sprout up again?

Certain things are not as easy to move as other things. For example, Famous Fairways Mini Golf wouldn`t exactly be cheap to relocate or rebuild in another location. Secondly, Coney has and does move rides around. The Frog Hopper which was installed in 2003 on the current site of the Scream Machine, will be residing in its third home this season. Its home last year is now the home to the River Runner.

I think there is nothing wrong "aesthetically" with Coney as you put it. The open field of grass between the Dodgems and the river is often used for special events. For the LaRosa`s Balloon Glow, that entire field of grass becomes full of hot air balloons.

• 2 months later...
Have you ever visited Coney before since 1990, when rides began to sprout up again?

Certain things are not as easy to move as other things. For example, Famous Fairways Mini Golf wouldn`t exactly be cheap to relocate or rebuild in another location. Secondly, Coney has and does move rides around. The Frog Hopper which was installed in 2003 on the current site of the Scream Machine, will be residing in its third home this season. Its home last year is now the home to the River Runner.

I think there is nothing wrong "aesthetically" with Coney as you put it. The open field of grass between the Dodgems and the river is often used for special events. For the LaRosa`s Balloon Glow, that entire field of grass becomes full of hot air balloons.

This is an interesting topic that I proposed when I worked for Coney Island back in 2000. Although the idea would revive the old look of the park (it is possible to conceive a similar look), the concept would be very costly, as those of you have pointed out. Why fix something that isn't broken? When I spoke with Tom Rhein (park management) about this issue he told me that there is no way that Mrs. Walker (owner) would spend her childrens inheritance on a project such as this.

~Josh

This is an interesting topic that I proposed when I worked for Coney Island back in 2000. Although the idea would revive the old look of the park (it is possible to conceive a similar look), the concept would be very costly, as those of you have pointed out. Why fix something that isn't broken? When I spoke with Tom Rhein (park management) about this issue he told me that there is no way that Mrs. Walker (owner) would spend her childrens inheritance on a project such as this.

~Josh

That is a shame, after going to the Kroger picnic on the 11th, it was a big topic of conversation. It was unanimous, most guests would love to see it return.

Also congrats to the Coney staff. They did an exceptional job with the huge crowd.

pilotank

As Kroger day happened on a Friday this year, I was not at the park that day. However, I do know that they were doing photo and video shoots throughout the park that day for commercials.

And while Coney may not attract the millions of guests that Kings Island does, it still does fairly well for itself. But they are not going to plunk down millions of dollars on recreating the mall, when the current strategy is working just fine.

And on behalf of the Coney Staff, thanks for the kind words. Since I only work on the weekends, when the vast majority of company picnics are scheduled, I typically see Coney during its busiest days. Its not uncommon to see the Python have a completely full line (when the line is out to the entrance, it is about a thirty minute wait!) Heck, this past Sunday (a day that didn`t seem very busy), I was at Eurobungy late shift, and we had a line for it until we closed! It made for a very long shift at Eurobungy without any breaks in the flow of guests!

As Kroger day happened on a Friday this year, I was not at the park that day. However, I do know that they were doing photo and video shoots throughout the park that day for commercials.

And while Coney may not attract the millions of guests that Kings Island does, it still does fairly well for itself. But they are not going to plunk down millions of dollars on recreating the mall, when the current strategy is working just fine.

And on behalf of the Coney Staff, thanks for the kind words. Since I only work on the weekends, when the vast majority of company picnics are scheduled, I typically see Coney during its busiest days. Its not uncommon to see the Python have a completely full line (when the line is out to the entrance, it is about a thirty minute wait!) Heck, this past Sunday (a day that didn`t seem very busy), I was at Eurobungy late shift, and we had a line for it until we closed! It made for a very long shift at Eurobungy without any breaks in the flow of guests!

It was a very fun day. Kroger was one of the first companies to have their company picnic at Coney and keeps the tradition going today.

That says volumes with all the competition. (i.e. KI)

I have to admit, I had never seen so many people in the pool!

pilotank

Sorry. You`ll just have to wait and see what 2009 has in store for Coney. There are still lots of days left this year to experience Sunlite Pool, and all of Coney`s classic rides, including the new River Runner, Turtle Parade, and the new upcharge attraction, Eurobungy Dome.

In fact, just this week Coney has added two person canoes to Lake Como in addition to the pedal boats. All riders in the canoes MUST wear life jackets, regardless of height.