Just wondering

Kawana

If you look at Behemoth's page here you'll see that the investment for Behemoth was approximately 26 million. However, according to Diamondback's site, the investment for Diamonback is 22 million. My question is, why the discrepancy? What makes Behemoth 4 million dollars more expensive to build? I'm sure the fact that part of it is built over water has something to do with it, but that can't be the sole reason.

The conversion rate has been all over the map. At this point, I don't think you really can compare the costs between the two accurately...as you would have to know exactly when the price for the Canadian coaster was fixed, and in what dollar terms in the contract between B & M and Cedar Fair is denominated for Behemoth--US or Canadian. Good luck!

So Im going to take Terpy's point and make some educated guesses and assumptions and see if I can figure out the conversion or put a little more theory behind it.

Cedar Fair acquired Paramount Parks during 2006, but their first off seasson was 06 and 07. We know that Diamondback has been in planning for 2 years. Bascially meaning that CF planned for it right out of the gate. I am going to assume that when they planned DB they were also planning Behemoth at the same time and negotiated the prices together.

So lets assume the contract was signed in 2007, meaning that prices to purchase are in 2007 $s. Therefore I will use the conversion rate from the first business day of 2007, meaning January 2nd. So at that time the conversion rate was 0.8584 USD to 1.1649 CAD. Using that info, the purchase of Behemoth at $26,000,000 CAD converts to $22,319,512.40 USD. Now if you sign the contract for Diamondback at the same time and lock the price at $22,000,000 USD you are basically spending the same amount on each coaster.

Hopefully this makes sense to everyone, but honestly all Im trying to show is that the costs for these 2 coasters is basically the same.

^^Well, no offense to Behemoth, but frankly, *I* could construct it's queue!!

Concrete, railings, awning, period. The Behemoth entrance sign looks cool, but doesn't look expensive or anything (like Goliath at SFMM).

Also, was it ever determined if gas and transportation costs were a factor as D-back from Batavia is a smaller distance compared to what Behemoth might have been??

Having said that, my foreign finance class at IU was a while ago, but I think you can hedge currency conversion costs if you're a bigger company.

Plus, in addition to building partially in the lake, CW's Action Zone got a lot of remodeling, maybe even more so than Rivertown?? But I think at the end of the day, building Behemoth at KI (sans splashdown) would come very close to D-back's $22 mil.

If they was to buy the steel today to build it it would be way less than what they had to pay. Scrap metal was 300+ a ton 6 months ago and now it's down around 40. I remember it was high back when they started DB.

Prices for everything to build a coaster has come down and it would be a good time to buy a coaster if you wanted one.

So Im going to take Terpy's point and make some educated guesses and assumptions and see if I can figure out the conversion or put a little more theory behind it.

Cedar Fair acquired Paramount Parks during 2006, but their first off seasson was 06 and 07. We know that Diamondback has been in planning for 2 years. Bascially meaning that CF planned for it right out of the gate. I am going to assume that when they planned DB they were also planning Behemoth at the same time and negotiated the prices together.

So lets assume the contract was signed in 2007, meaning that prices to purchase are in 2007 $s. Therefore I will use the conversion rate from the first business day of 2007, meaning January 2nd. So at that time the conversion rate was 0.8584 USD to 1.1649 CAD. Using that info, the purchase of Behemoth at $26,000,000 CAD converts to $22,319,512.40 USD. Now if you sign the contract for Diamondback at the same time and lock the price at $22,000,000 USD you are basically spending the same amount on each coaster.

Hopefully this makes sense to everyone, but honestly all Im trying to show is that the costs for these 2 coasters is basically the same.

Makes sense to me. Thanks.