8-24-08 Sunday

Kawana

Hello all.

Kawana here ready to fill you in on his latest adventure at Kings Island. His day started out sunny enough, but that would eventually change. With his girlfriend Elina in tow, they departed for what could possibly become their last day at the park this season. Arriving in the area, they decided to locate a geocache since it was right there across from the park. Successful in their endeavor they trekked on to the park and scored a primo parking spot.

Now Kawana's girlfriend wanted to ride SoB so they did. And what did they find upon entering the queue? Well, none other than a "from this point your wait will be ..." sign. Hooray. This would be the only sign of this flavor that the two would find that day. After a skull rattling ride on SoB, the two decided to hike back to Flight Deck and knock that out. Flight Deck would be a walk on ride on this fateful day so that was good. Kawana had been wanting to try one of those Watermelon Chill dessert treats all summer, so he stopped at the cart just near the Festhaus and purchased said treat, and Elina purchased a Lemon treat as well. Being as the treat was so nicely chilled to a temperature of approximately -50 degrees, Mr. K decided to head into the Festhaus and delight in the performance that would be commencing and also to let the thing thaw a bit. Quickly demolishing the snack, it was on to FoF for these two "Ride Warriors."

FoF was a proverbial thorn in Kawana's side this year and on this day it would make up for the extremely long lines by providing a first for the couple. More on that later. After a wait of nearly 15 minutes, the two of them were on and thouroughly enjoying the ride. Upon exiting the ride, the happy folks emerge into a very heavy rainfall which would stop, start up again, and taunt the two for the next hour or so. Thinking the rain would let up, they attempted to get in line for Firehawk. After off and on rain, they decided to leave for dinner and re-evaluate upon returning. Locating another geocache near the lodge was a piece of cake for these two and it was off for nutrition. Skyline was the destination for dinner and Kawana was most pleased with a 5-way potato and a cheese coney.

Returning to the park, still being glossed with a light drizzle, they decided to take on SDATHC. Elina crushed Kawana yet again due to the malfunctioning of the two guns he was saddled with. Then it was on to the Crypt where the two were chewed out by an overzealous attendant. He had his measuring stick laying accross the gate leading into the alien skeleton room, and when Kawana leaned up against the railling, the stick plummeted to the ground. The attendant demanded, "Who touched it?" "Nobody, it just fell" they replied. "Somebody touched it" he said, and stared down the duo as if he wanted to punch them through the chest. Moving on to the walk on ride, it was great and thrilled them immensely.

At this point in the night, is was dark, and the two of them held out hope that some of the coasters would re-open. That clearly wouldn't happen this night, and a very creepy night ride on the train followed by another spin on the Crypt were enjoyed.

"9:45" she says. "Should we try to make it back over to FoF, do we have time?" He replies, "Of course, it doesn't take that long to get over there." They arrive at FoF at about 10 till 10, and walk on to another great ride. Indecision reigns at this point regarding whether or not to attempt one last ride on FoF. Kawana says, "Let's go" and they did. This time, just before the launch, the op at the box says "We're going to have a vote, lights on or off?" Kawana screams at the top of his lungs, "Lights on, lights on." She hits the switch and they're off. What a ride they had with the lights on, Kawana was very excited to get to experience a lights on ride of FoF. Kawana had to convince Elina that you always ride with the lights off, so it's pretty rare to ride with the lights on. That right there made his day, possibly his season at Kings Island. Leaving the park, he's feeling sad that the season is basically over, and maybe he'll get to make another trip soon, but he's also excited that Diamondback is coming and can't wait for next year, although the season pass situation still needs to be worked out. All in all it was a quality day for the two and one that they will remember for years to come.

Thanks for reading. Don't know why I decided to write it that way, but I did. Hope I did well.

it's your story. write it however you want. it was kinda interesting reading with the 3rd person narrative.

i actually love rainy days at KI. we live 10 minutes from the park. when we get late afternoon showers, we head out.

people that have been dragging kids around all day are looking for any excuse to get them to the car by then.

nothing like knocking off 10-15 rides in just a couple of hours.

I was there on Sunday evening as well. Didn't arrive at the park till about 5:30 and of course all of the rides where closed down, at that time even FoF was closed. So they reopened the rides at about 7:30 and got on Invertigo, and just as I was about get on SOB they shut them all down again. So I stood near Skyflier and talked to a nice couple from Akron Ohio. They agreed with me that they thought some of the employees esp ride ops where rude. So finally around 8:30 I decided to walk around the park again. Rode Monster, and decided to go check to see if FoF was open, and it was this time. So I rode it 8 times in a row. So it wasn't a total bust with the bad weather, at least I got a few coaster rides in.

Too right. We talked with a couple from Kentucky at around 5:30 right outside Firehawk. What was sweet about that was the husband had a blackberry and was checking the weather with it. Very nice people. I hate it when people come for a single day and the weather doesn't co-operate.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you all enjoyed reading.