Virginia Trip Report 7-18 & 7-19

Coasterfun

My first trip report with pictures.

I drove to Virginia with friends last weekend. I visited Kings Dominion on Saturday with my Platinum Pass.

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

The park was busy because of a music festival.

IMG_1666.jpg

Because the park was busy I based my rides on trip reports from other people on this forum. I rode Volcano first.

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

I loved this ride! It was smooth, no head banging, great themeing, one of the best rides that Paramount had built.

I rode Rebel Yell next, it was rough and I prefer The Racer at KI.

I rode Grizzy next

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

This is a great ride, I love how it goes through the woods. I also couldn't feel the trim brake as much as I did on The Beast.

My last ride was Dominator

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

I rode this at Geauga Lake years ago, a solid coaster. I rode front seat on all of the coasters that day.

Overall a nice park, a lot of interesting landscaping throughout the park.

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1686.jpg

The next day I went to Busch Gardens

IMG_1691.jpg

I rode Griffon

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

I rode in the front on the far left side, this coaster while short was one of my favorites.

Alpengeist

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

This was a fun ride and I love how all the rides are themed. Overall, I prefer Raptor.

Apollo's Chariot

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

I am torn on which coaster I like better: this or Diamondback?

Big Bad Wolf

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

This is a great coaster! It felt like 2 flight decks together. Great speed and excellent terrain. Why is Iron Dragon so slow?

Lochness Monster

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

I can't believe how smooth this Arrow coaster is! I rode it front and middle and there was no headbanging. This is one of my favorites- I was really surprised how good it rides.

I also rode Curse of Darkastle and Corkscrew Hill these are 2 great darkrides, almost as good as Disney and Universal.

Overall, I love this park, beautiful park and I wish I could visit the other Busch parks.

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg 

Which park do you think is better, ki or kd?

That's a tough question. I honestly would like to visit the park again when it is less crowded. Based on that visit, I'd give the edge to Kings Island, it's bigger and in my opinion has a better layout.

However, I do give serious props to Volcano, Grizzy, and Dominator, and would like to see how the new coaster turns out next year. I also like the feel of the Congo, it really felt like a themed land complete with it's own music. I can see why KD fans were upset about the placement of Backlot Stunt Coaster there.

Thanks for the warm welcome, this my favorite park fan site!