The Beast: Why Wasn't It Stripped

coaster_junky

Classic... Landmark... either way ACE just leaves a plaque outside of the ride. I plaque that has a mountain and stars on it and will likely be removed before the season's start.

Not to mention they also have to remove that inlaid stone tile thingy on International Street that says "Paramount's Kings Island Welcomes American Coaster Enthusiasts" or something like that. It's in front of the Girl Space and Lotsapalooza stores, but I don't know the exact term for what it's called.

That's probably why the parks don't put too much stock into any recognition from any group.

From ACE's web site:

* The coaster must use traditional lap bars that allow riders to experience so-called airtime, or negative G's (that sensation of floating above the seat!!). Individual, ratcheting lap bars do not meet this requirement.

* ACE Coaster Classics allow riders to slide from side-to-side. A coaster with any restraint or device that restricts this freedom is not eligible for ACE Coaster Classic status.

* ACE Coaster Classics allow riders to view the upcoming drops and thrills. Coasters with headrests on every seat, or the majority of seats, restrict this view and are not eligible for ACE Coaster Classic status.

Requirements seem arbitrary, if anything unsafe. In fact, the criteria is vague to say that least, "..headrests, or the majority of seats" Majority of seats? So if you have headrests on 50% of the seats, you're ok, but not 51%? The rules certainly imply this, but I've heard that a coaster classic absolutely needs to be wooden. I think that's completely out of date in today's day and age. Look at rides like Magnum that changed the face of roller coasters forever. Don't get me wrong, I understand the intention, but what the criteria they're listing is extremely rare to say the least, and there are many rides that don't (and never) met the requirements that played a pivotal roll in the history of the coasters.

You left off the last one, which was even rarer in the actual old "classic-y" days...I should know, I was around at least in the last parts of that so-called golden era.

Here it is:

On ACE Coaster Classics, riders are free to choose where they sit. Some parks' operating procedures assign seating; these coasters are not eligible for ACE Coaster Classic status.

Now, what is the irony here? Back in the day, it was almost unheard of for a park to allow riders to choose their seats. Rather, there was a single line into the loading station, and riders could THEORETICALLY choose their own seat, but only if they were in a place in line where they ended up being the first to board a particular train. Why? Because at the head of the line was either a grouper whose job it was to let in at any one time just the number of people the train seated or there was a chain, and one of the ride's operators would come over and let down the chain and do the same thing. The first people usually scurried to the front or back seats or other preferred seats, which then were no longer available to the rest of the group let in...who HAD to choose from the remaining seats. And you were NOT allowed to wait for the next train. And this was back in the days when you paid by the ride, with tickets.

Queues with individual seat lines only became popular in recent years, and probably not for the reason you think. It allows for the elimination of some labor and for a continuous flow of people into the station. No grouper is necessary (though they still help, they are seldom actually used in the seasonal parks). If a grouper had not previously been used, the ride operator no longer had to spend time counting people and opening and closing the chain. That individual seat lines please many guests and allows them to more simply ride the same train (I have never understood most of public's absolute fascination with that--except on FaceOff, why does it matter?) are at most side benefits.

The ACE Coaster Classics criteria have always looked to me like they were designed to meet someone's own personal wish list.

Some of us don't make fun...some of us are even members....That does not mean everything ACE does makes sense. The gentleman in charge of ACE Coaster Classic status is actually a close, personal friend and from the Atlanta area. We have argued this issue on many occasions.

I still say this is a classification that does a major disservice to ACE and to the parks. It long ago outlived its usefulness. We no longer live in the 1950's. This is true from the courts, insurance companies, safety regulators, etc., to the anticipated behavior of park guests. In the 1950's, rides were considered dangerous contraptions, and parents taught kids to behave, or perhaps die. In today's world, the parks are all but totally responsible for the safety of even the most irresponsible guests. Yes, there are rider responsibility laws in many states. But, rides must be engineered and operated with the forseeability of moronic, dangerous guest behavior in mind.

Some of us don't make fun...some of us are even members....That does not mean everything ACE does makes sense. The gentleman in charge of ACE Coaster Classic status is actually a close, personal friend and from the Atlanta area. We have argued this issue on many occasions.

I still say this is a classification that does a major disservice to ACE and to the parks. It long ago outlived its usefulness. We no longer live in the 1950's. This is true from the courts, insurance companies, safety regulators, etc., to the anticipated behavior of park guests. In the 1950's, rides were considered dangerous contraptions, and parents taught kids to behave, or perhaps die. In today's world, the parks are all but totally responsible for the safety of even the most irresponsible guests. Yes, there are rider responsibility laws in many states. But, rides must be engineered and operated with the forseeability of moronic, dangerous guest behavior in mind.

And what I say is that it's an issue to be decided by the members of the group.

If someone is not an ACE member they really don't have any business saying what their requirements should or should not be.

It's like folk that gripe about politicians but do not take the time to vote.

Classic... Landmark... either way ACE just leaves a plaque outside of the ride. I plaque that has a mountain and stars on it and will likely be removed before the season's start.

Not to mention they also have to remove that inlaid stone tile thingy on International Street that says "Paramount's Kings Island Welcomes American Coaster Enthusiasts" or something like that. It's in front of the Girl Space and Lotsapalooza stores, but I don't know the exact term for what it's called.

or they could just do like they did in the area that had the paramount movies inlaid in the walkway, just fill in where it says paramount