undecided whether the Backward Racer will turn around according to screamscape

raptor

Hey, the video's workin'! ;)

I wonder how much down time is involved in switching the train configuration, in case the 'decision' comes after the park opens...

i don't know, wouldn't they have to take out a section of the track in order to spin the train around? or am i just over looking a transfer track?

There is an incredible amount of work required to turn a train backward. It is not as simple as just flipping the train around. The trains have to be completely rebuilt. If you've ever seen one of these trains disassembeled you understand. The undersides of the trains are anything but symmetrical. For example, anti rollbacks and such only work in one direction on one side.

This decision was made long ago. The park doesn't just make decisions like this on the fly.

Dont get your hopes up of riding the backwards racer...

There is an incredible amount of work required to turn a train backward. It is not as simple as just flipping the train around. The trains have to be completely rebuilt. If you've ever seen one of these trains disassembeled you understand. The undersides of the trains are anything but symmetrical. For example, anti rollbacks and such only work in one direction on one side.

This decision was made long ago. The park doesn't just make decisions like this on the fly.

While you are right, it does take an incredible amount of work, regardless of whether the train was being flipped around or not that work was going to be done. The trains are disassembled every off season and as the individual parts are cleaned it is determined what needs replacing. The trains are then put back together, and as you said this takes an incredible amount of work and attention to detail. It is also very time consuming. Now with turning the backwards Racer forwards they have two options:

1: As DeloreanRider stated the brake fins are located to one side (Rider, the chain dogs and rollback do only work in one direction but they are located in the center, hence why the brake fin is off center) This means that the brakes for the ride are located off-center on the track. If the train is rebuilt as it was in past years and just put on the track in a different direction then they would have to change all those brakes on the track around.

That seems like it would be more work than needed and that there is an easier sollution:

2: Just flip the brake fins on the undercarriage around so that they line up with the brakes on the track. Essentially you're doing the same off season work except just putting the fin back on on the other side.

Like DeloreanRider said, no matter which option is chosen it is time consuming and unless they want The Racer opening late in the season I'd wager that the decision has been made and they are saving the official announcement for a later press release.

While you are right, it does take an incredible amount of work, regardless of whether the train was being flipped around or not that work was going to be done. The trains are disassembled every off season and as the individual parts are cleaned it is determined what needs replacing. The trains are then put back together, and as you said this takes an incredible amount of work and attention to detail. It is also very time consuming. Now with turning the backwards Racer forwards they have two options:

1: As DeloreanRider stated the brake fins are located to one side (Rider, the chain dogs and rollback do only work in one direction but they are located in the center, hence why the brake fin is off center) This means that the brakes for the ride are located off-center on the track. If the train is rebuilt as it was in past years and just put on the track in a different direction then they would have to change all those brakes on the track around.

That seems like it would be more work than needed and that there is an easier sollution:

2: Just flip the brake fins on the undercarriage around so that they line up with the brakes on the track. Essentially you're doing the same off season work except just putting the fin back on on the other side.

Like DeloreanRider said, no matter which option is chosen it is time consuming and unless they want The Racer opening late in the season I'd wager that the decision has been made and they are saving the official announcement for a later press release.

The other option would to be; since the frame and the body are in essence to separate sections, to in the re-assembling of the trains, attempt to modify them such that the bodies go back together facing the opposite direction on the frames. It's been a while since I've taken a good hard look at the frames of one of these cars so I'm not sure how much easier it would be but I'm sure it's possible. I know that some of the electrical contacts that stick out would have to be modified and probably other things.

Reguardless the bottom line is either way, it is a big task to turn the trains around.

Hopefully Racer will be completed when the park opens. Here at KD, we've been open for 2 weeks now with only one side running. They are still retracking the front side. But its as smooth as ever. Retracking is always a great thing. It's initial date is planned for the end of May.

Does anyone know offhand if the official Kings Island website used to mention the 'backwards' characteristic in their description of Racer? Because they don't mention it now. That might be another indicator of no more backwards.

VisitKingsIsland.com doesn't mention whether or not one side will go backwards.

^I think he ment did the OLD webstie mention the backwards Racer.

And I hope they do some retracking to The Racer because IMO lately it has been getting pretty rough.

And as for the Backwards Racer, I never found it to be an enjoyable ride at all. Sure, it was fun not knowing where you're going, but it was always rough. When you're going, you're head is always launched into the next seat, not the headrest. Plus, the fact that the entire time you're restaints are pulling on your waist and your d*ck, ohh my it wasn't fun.

I hope they turn it around, because than you'll have to fun rides instead of one fun and one hurtfull.

^I think he ment did the OLD webstie mention the backwards Racer.

This is the website I was talking about: http://www.pki.com/attractions/detail.cfm?ai_id=163

They don't say anything about the backwards Racer, and I think (but am not certain) that this page did mention it at some point in the past. And even though the URL is 'pki', it still seems to be the official site, as it's been updated for 2008... so maybe the lack of the word 'backwards' on The Racer page is a 2008 update. :unsure: