Hm, I need a suggestion.

kaaatieman

So I am new to the whole roller coaster thing. And I'm going to King's Island Tuesday with 3 friends that LOVE rides and coasters. I want to give them a shot, but it seems like they don't understand.

I have ridden The Racer and Adventure Express. And that's it. :]

And we're thinking for my first big coaster I should ride either Flight of Fear or The Beast.

Suggestions?

Hmm. I find Flight Deck to be a good starter or "Step-Up" coaster from AE and Racer, to Rides like Flight of Fear and The Beast.

I would suggest Flight of Fear because The Beast has been running quite rough lately. Also, Firehawk delivers a ride experience that no other coaster at Kings Island can Deliver.

I would say to try Flight Deck as was stated it is a great step up coaster and there will be no line relative to the other coasters. Next try Back Lot Stunt Coaster, if you like this you will LOVE Flight of Fear, and again the line will be shorter by comparison.

The Beast is terrible lately. I used to ride it always because it would be inconsistant, and I knew that if todays ride was rough next week's ride would be smooth. I've ridden the Beas like 5 times this year and each was terrbile. I get jereked around like all get out and my back gets jackhammered on the turns. I sit there and BEG for them to turn the trims on high because those turns, taken at the speeds they're at, are really rough. It's like each turn is a mini-SoB-rosebowl. And don't get me started with the SoB.

Many wood coasters are smooth...and much depends on where you sit. On Racer and Beast, which have three bench cars...sit in the middle of a car (there will be people in the same car sitting in front of you and behind you). Do NOT make the mistake of sitting in the back of a car in the middle of the train. Look at the individual cars, and be sure to sit in the middle of one....notice you can't do that on Son of Beast, as all the seats on it are over wheels...yet another reason it has no really smooth seats...the smoothest seat on it is the front, and it is worth waiting for.

If you can handle Racer, The Beast shouldn't be a problem for you. As for the "next step up" from Adeventure Express, I would say Vortex. IMO, Flight Deck and Backlot Stunt Coaster have about the same degree of intensity as AE. After that you are ready for Invertigo, Flight of Fear, and Firehawk. Finish with Son of Beast, but ride it after the sun starts to go down and the track cools somewhat. Also, don't miss Drop Tower, Delerium, and The Crypt. Slingshot is also fun if you don't mind the upcharge. Have fun!!

The Beast is terrible lately. I used to ride it always because it would be inconsistant, and I knew that if todays ride was rough next week's ride would be smooth. I've ridden the Beas like 5 times this year and each was terrbile. I get jereked around like all get out and my back gets jackhammered on the turns. I sit there and BEG for them to turn the trims on high because those turns, taken at the speeds they're at, are really rough. It's like each turn is a mini-SoB-rosebowl. And don't get me started with the SoB.

The trims are not turned up or down in any fashion. They are the same on any given day.

The trims are not turned up or down in any fashion. They are the same on any given day.

plus imo the magnetic trims add to the roughness of the ride, i say this because when you are going down the first hill of The Beast and get up to speed, then you crest over the bunny hop after the first tunnel and as soon as you start to lift out of your seat to get air time you hit those trims and it throws you forward and jams the lap bar into your stomach.

plus imo the magnetic trims add to the roughness of the ride, i say this because when you are going down the first hill of The Beast and get up to speed, then you crest over the bunny hop after the first tunnel and as soon as you start to lift out of your seat to get air time you hit those trims and it throws you forward and jams the lap bar into your stomach.

As far as I know, no magnetic brakes are used on The Beast. They're just pneumatic.

As far as I know, no magnetic brakes are used on The Beast. They're just pneumatic.

the trims going down the first hill, over the first bunny hop, and dropping into the helix are all magnetic.