Paramount Parks Design & Entertainment

CoastersRZ

I remember hearing a while back that Paramount Parks Design and Entertainment department was closed or scaled down. Does anyone else remember hearing this? As far as I can tell, PPDE is still in charge of the theming and design of new attractions. Or am I just simply thinking that PPDE is no longer in control of designing the shows for the parks because they now outsource that? The reason I ask is I interviewed an architect today, who helped design Flight of Fear (she helped design the station, the UFO and the inside of the hanger). Any way, she no left to pursue residential architecture, and she said during the interview that Paramount Parks no longer has an in-house design team. Does anyone care to shed some light on this subject if you know anything?

I seem to recall hearing something similar, but don't remember any of the details. Seems like it was mentioned around the same time that Universal Creative made their big personnel cuts last Winter.

I believe at one point Paramount had hopes of developing PPD&E into their own version of Imagineering, doing thematic & entertainment design not only for their own parks but for third parties as well. (ST:TE collaboration with Hilton would be a good example.) However, I just don't think that business plan ever worked out.

Did your interviewee have any interesting insights about working for Paramount Parks?

Joel

She basicly said that she was hired to work on the park`s shows. But that she also mentioned that she did work on the theming. She said it was really exciting work. She hasn`t worked there for several years and now does residential stuff. However, she sadi that Jack Rouse Associates from Cincinnati, offered her a job several months ago. Jack Rouse is responsible for the transformation of Bubba Gumps at PKI, the Happy Days Diner at PKD and CBS Diner at PC. They also did the Reds hallf of Fame and museum. She told me that if I wanted information about them, she could put me in contact with someone at the firm. Other than that, she didn`t shed much light on the inner design workings at the parks.

She basicly said that she was hired to work on the park`s shows. But that she also mentioned that she did work on the theming. She said it was really exciting work. She hasn`t worked there for several years and now does residential stuff. However, she sadi that Jack Rouse Associates from Cincinnati, offered her a job several months ago. Jack Rouse is responsible for the transformation of Bubba Gumps at PKI, the Happy Days Diner at PKD and CBS Diner at PC. They also did the Reds hallf of Fame and museum. She told me that if I wanted information about them, she could put me in contact with someone at the firm. Other than that, she didn`t shed much light on the inner design workings at the parks.

Isn't amazing that someone would be offered a job by a theme park design company, and they'd turn it down! Personally, I can't imagine a more perfect dream job.

Joel